#1 bonnie blue

bonnie blue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

Good morning friends,
Well yesterday was my first day of chemo, actually my daughter and I don't like the name so we have decided to call it the cocktail hour, sounds much better right. :) Anyways it is a very aggressive treatment, and of course with the Celiac disease that makes it that more fun. I have three chemo drugs, along with steroids, anti-nausea meds, magnesium, and I cant remember the name but also a drug to keep my white count up. The good news is that I have a port so it is only one poke at the beginning of the day, and you know what I can't even feel it, so that is good. Their main concern now is keeping my weight stabilized, my goal is to make it through the two months of chemo without having to have a feeding tube, so I am eating every two hours, just small amounts, my husband and girls have been great about reminding me, actually they made two signs for me in the house that say "Don't forget to eat!"
So I am still in very good spirits, the doctors, nurses, everyone who is treating is very optimistic about a good outcome, I know this will be a very difficult time, the worst time will be the stomach surgery, but right now just taking this one day at a time. Thank you all so much for the support it means so much to me, sending out hugs and good thoughts to all. B)
Just takin it one day at a time :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:15 AM

blessings & prayers are being sent your way...

#3 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

Hugs!! I am hoping that you get through this OK.
Gluten Free since 2010

#4 bigbird16

bigbird16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:26 AM

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

#5 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

Good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly.

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:11 AM

((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope things continue to go smoothly.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 DonnaMM

DonnaMM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:26 AM

I am sure you will do just fine!!! Just be positive! Don't stress too much about the feeding tube they can be very beneficial and easily removed after treatment. I have been through chemo before and although my treatment was fairly easy and everyone's experience I different feel free to email me if you need to vent. Your family will be best your support thought this. My prayers are with you!
Hodgkins Lymphoma-2006 at age 18, now 25
Disagnosed with IBS and anxiety (related to my treatment they say)-2007
Allergies to corn, tree nuts, shellfish, bees- 2010
Positive Lupus Anticoagulant-2011
Erosive esophagitis-2011
Severe iron deficiency anemia- 2012
Inappropriate sinus tachycardia-2013
Tested for celiac three times, blood and biopsies all negative
Now encouraged to undergo testing again due to malabsorption

#8 navigator

navigator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:34 AM

Glad your first cocktail hour went well. Great idea to rename it and take control :D. Hope it continues to go well. Thinking about you and your family.

#9 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:36 AM

We're here with you Bonnie B. Stay strong.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#10 lizzy59

lizzy59

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

I'm new to the forum, but still want to wish you the best--my thoughts and prayers go out to you!! As someone else said, take it one day at a time. God bless!

#11 lucky28

lucky28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

Good idea~coctail hr!lol glad to hear everything is starting out well! Good luck, keep us updated!
"They're my villi, and I need them NOW!"

Positive Biopsy- 08/11
Slightly positive tTG only- 06/11
Negative blood panel- 11/05
Diagnosed with IBS- 1981

#12 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

looks like you're discovering ways to deal with this in a positive light, that's awesome :) Cocktail hour it is! LOL

#13 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

I so glad to hear the first treatment went well. Good luck!!!

#14 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

The Cocktail Hour...I love it. I've heard that keeping a good attitude during chemo can really help you fight the cancer. Sounds like you're already ahead on that score.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#15 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

Bonnie...I am a very tough person emotionally but your bravery and good spirits leave me in awe. I am one of those very thin celiacs
who was close to a feeding tube at diagnosis so can understand totally your concern over possibly having one. Eating every 2 hours sounds like
a fantastic plan and I hope the weight sticks to your frame with every bite! You are an amazing person and I look forward to your continued reports and well being. Keep up that amazing spirit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: