Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Ready To Start Trying - Books On Celiac/pregnancy To Recommend?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 aming44

aming44

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease nearly five years ago and since have been on a gluten-free diet. I'm not as strict with things as some people - still eat out, cook things with gluten for parties/husband in our kitchen, etc., but generally I've been on a gluten-free diet since diagnosis. My husband and I are starting to think about having children and I'm aware that I need to be extra careful pre-, during and post-pregnancy to ensure my baby gets all the nutrients he/she needs. I also recently had a full physical with my doctor in which he ran tests to check levels of iron in my blood, etc. (pre-diagnosis I was anemic and my iron is now perfect!)

Anyway, I'd love any suggestions of books/reading materials (similar to regular pregnancy books like "What to Expect...") that specifically talk about pregnancy and Celiac disease/gluten. Are there any out there?

Thanks for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

I do not know of any such booksout there. As long as you are revovered, and remain strictly gluten free, there should be no difference with your pregnancy compared to someone without celiac.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 violentlyserene

violentlyserene

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

There aren't any. I looked extensively when I was diagnosed because we'd already been trying but all of my drs say it's perfectly safe to get pregnant as long as you are gluten free. The only problems I know of come in with irregular cycles but that can be dealt with like problems caused by other things. I do recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility. The website is www.tcoyf.com and has info on the book, forums and charts. The book is extensive and pretty invaluable when ttc. If you don't have the patience for the whole book, check out fertility friend's tutorials. They have a lot of info as well but it's pared down a lot more and just covers the basics.

#4 aming44

aming44

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for your help! I'll check out the Taking Charge of Your Fertility website!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: