21 replies to this topic

#1 Silencio

Silencio

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:25 AM

I have really bad dry mouth. Is this a symptom of Celiac? Any ideas what I can do? I have been drinking a ton of water and got a humidifier in my room, tried a lot of different mouthwashes and chewed sugar free gum. Nothing is helping.
CANADIAN!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

I haven't heard of it myself, but it can be a sign of other things. I think you should see your Dr.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

Absolutely! If I recall (the percentage), you absorb 75% of your fluid intake in your small intestines. If your intestines are damaged due to Celiac, you're not getting adequate hydration.

Listen to your body and drink as much as it asks for. ;)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 Meatballman

Meatballman

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

Not sure but I get it too.Dry eyes as well.
Positive bloodwork
Positive biopsy
Gluten Free 10/2010
At the end of the game the Pawn and the King are placed in the same box.

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

Dry mouth and eyes can be an autoimmune disorder called Sjögren's syndrome. There is an association with celiac disease.

#6 Meatballman

Meatballman

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

Dry mouth and eyes can be an autoimmune disorder called Sjögren's syndrome. There is an association with celiac disease.

Really sounds serious.Have to check into that.Hope not already have enough going on.Thanks for the heads up.
Positive bloodwork
Positive biopsy
Gluten Free 10/2010
At the end of the game the Pawn and the King are placed in the same box.

#7 Olivegirl

Olivegirl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

I used to get dry mouth periodically before I was diagnosed with coeliac disease. I don't think it's anything to worry about (assuming coeliac is the cause). My doctor recommended a gel for my mouth which performs almost the same function as a moisturiser for your skin. It worked to some extent. I'm in Australia - so I don't know how available the gel is in the US - but I just bought it over the counter here.

#8 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Yes - exactly skylark. There is a correlation between SJogren's and Coeliac, if you are getting things like dry eyes and dry mouth you should see your Dr.

#9 Silencio

Silencio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:26 AM

Well im going to talk to a GI on the 23rd so I will see what she has to say about it. I went through so many blood tests in the past few weeks. Im sure if it was anything serious they would have found it in the tests? Also my doc didnt say anything at all about my vitamin levels. Should I just assume there fine?
CANADIAN!

#10 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

They have to do specific tests to check for autoimmune disease and I guarantee you they wouldn't do them unless there was a reason for it. Anyhow - ask your GI and see what he/she says.

#11 Silencio

Silencio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:19 AM

I didnt know that. I just figured they would check for everything when I went for my physical. Thanks beebs.
CANADIAN!

#12 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

I have really bad dry mouth. Is this a symptom of Celiac? Any ideas what I can do? I have been drinking a ton of water and got a humidifier in my room, tried a lot of different mouthwashes and chewed sugar free gum. Nothing is helping.

If your mouth and/or eyes are dry enough that you are noticing it, then there is a strong possibility that you may have Sjogren's Syndrome. I have Sjogren's and there isn't much you can do for it except keep yourself hydrated, chew gum to encourage saliva production and use Biotene mouthwash, which is made specifically for those with extreme dry mouth. There is blood work which can be done to test for it and those would be the SS-A and SS-B antibody tests. However, it's like Celiac. You can have a raging case of Sjogren's and not pop positive on your blood work.

I had all the symptoms and knew I had it but never bothered to go to a doctor about it because their track record with autoimmune disease is poor. If your blood work is negative, then they move towards a biopsy of a salivary gland. No way was I going to let them do that, especially when I was so blatantly symptomatic for Sjogren's. My doctor insisted on blood work, which I let her do but told her I knew had it, so this was just to make her happy. My antibody levels were sky high.

Along with Celiac testing, they insist on multiple tests for diagnosis for Sjogren's. Do diabetics have to go through multiple tests just to get a diagnosis? As you can see, I have little patience with the medical profession! ;) Other symptoms of Sjogren's are a fissured tongue (from being so dry) and my favorite, the bread test. I cannot swallow a bite of bread without water or liquids or I will choke. That's how deprived of saliva I am. If you have this issue also, you probably have it. Then there is the dry eye....very fun!

You may want to ask about the blood work as that's pretty easy testing but a negative test does not rule out Sjogren's. Good luck to you!

#13 Silencio

Silencio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the detailed post Gemini. My eyes dont get dry at all. My mouth is fine during the day when I can get water in. I havent ate bread since I was diagnosed with Celiac a few weeks ago but I dont think I would have that much of a problem. I tried Biotene, didnt help at all. I will see what the GI has to say then maybe go in for testing to see whats up. I really dont mind all the doctors as much as you, I live pretty close so thats a good thing.
CANADIAN!

#14 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

See - I don't have dry eyes- or what I mean is, I don't feel like I have dry eyes, they don't feel gritty or annoying or anything. But I had the shirmer's test and scored 0-0 which means I produce no tears when there is a foreign thing in them (dry as you can get) - we don't have the salivary gland test in Oz - and my bloods are negative. At this stage I am undiagnosed but have something of the connective tissue autoimmune stuff going on. As Gemini said - Autoimmune diag can be a royal pain. Although I do think that you should still seek a diag if possible. Sjogren's can cause other things, not just dryness. Anyhoo. bloody autoimmune diseases!

#15 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

I get a disguisting, coated, dry mouth from eating cheese. It usually shows up when I am asleep and is terrible for a few days if I eat cheese. It's better when I eat or drink, but comes right back a bit after I'm done. I also get BO and dandruff along with the bad breath and dry mouth. Does this sound like what you get?
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: