16 replies to this topic

#16 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

Celiac Disease: The First Year by Jules Dowler Shepard.
Well- written and full of practical advice, including recipes, all from a celiac's perspective.

I really liked this book too. It's a good book for coping with a diagnosis and the next steps to take.

I just finished reading "Healthier without Wheat" by Stephen Wagnen. He covers both Celiac and NCGI in the book. He describes a lot of the medical issues but in laymen's terms. I liked that he acknowledged a lot of the NCGI issues as well as the actual Celiac stuff.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

I really liked this book too. It's a good book for coping with a diagnosis and the next steps to take.

I just finished reading "Healthier without Wheat" by Stephen Wagnen. He covers both Celiac and NCGI in the book. He describes a lot of the medical issues but in laymen's terms. I liked that he acknowledged a lot of the NCGI issues as well as the actual Celiac stuff.

I have that one by Wagnen as well. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: