2 replies to this topic

#1 missy123456

missy123456

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

My son is 6 and has Asperger's and we believe is also ADHD. He's been on a gluten and caesin free diet for 4 weeks now. It's been fantastic, with dramatically improved behavior. His grandfather let him eat chicken nuggets and he threw up that night. Ever since (5 days ago), he's had diarreha, tummy aches, slept alot, and worst of all insane crazy behavior!! Are these typical symptoms for this situation? How long will this last? Should I take him to the doctor? Does he need supplements? Help- I'm so worried!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

Welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your son.

Two things come to mind. First, it sounds an awful lot like food poisoning. If he's still having diarrhea some Pedialyte would probably do him good. I'd call the doctor if he doesn't improve soon.

The other thing is that once we're gluten-free, reactions to gluten can really worsen. Around the message board we think your immune system finally gets to work normally instead of being under constant stress from gluten. Unfortunately that means you get a big "kill the intruder!" reaction from gluten. It can go on for as long as two weeks in people who are really sensitive. Unfortunately, chicken nuggets is a lot of gluten so it may take a while to get back out of his system.

Your Dr. can recommend something to help the diarrhea and stomach aches, whether it's food poisoning or gluten. You also want to put him on clear liquids, and possibly a little applesauce, white rice, or bananas if they don't make his stomach hurt. (BRAT diet) I don't know what to use for kids, but personally I find Pepto-Bismol very helpful when I've got an upset stomach.

#3 samie

samie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Yes those could be symptoms from it. The symptoms vary person to person in length. My 5 yr old daughter gets stomach pains and her behavoir is differant when she is glutened. I get diarhea as one of my symptoms and throw up a couple days when i get gluten. She also got better with her behavior and speaks more than before she went gluten-free. Though she still has a speech delay. If he is still throwing up you could try giving him liquids like jello and broth till he can keep it down. If you think hes got vitamin defecemcies thantake him to get those tested. Also if he he is still throwing up and having diareha then he might need some iv fluids to keep him hydrated. I hope he gets feeling better soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: