6 replies to this topic

#1 gwo8

gwo8

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hi--I'm new to gluten-free, as my 8 year old was just diagnosed. He likes soda and we let him have it as a treat sometimes, but I'm confused as to if it has caramel coloring...is it gluten-free or not? I've tried to research and it seems to have something to do with where it was manufactured. Just wondering. Learned today that KFC, even GRILLED chicken, won't work for him--they use the same tongs to serve it anyway. :-/ Taco Bell was our favorite "go-to" place, but I've learned that their taco meat isn't gluten-free...just at the beginning of this journey. Thanks for y'all's help!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

Welcome to our community.

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban myths that just won't go away.

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolysates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.

[Emphasis in original]
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 modiddly16

modiddly16

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:47 AM

KFC's grilled chicken is actually also dusted in flour before grilled, so its MUCH more than the tongs unfortunately!

#4 killernj13

killernj13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:57 AM

I am sure it is extremely tough on an 8 yr old. WOW - it is on adults as well.

You have probably heard this before but you need to focus on the foods he can have. Chipolte is a great alternative to Taco Bell as many of their meals can be served in a bowl. Also, for an alternative to KFC places like Red Robin's and Cheeseburger in Paradise are offering gluten-free buns for their burgers and chicken sandwiches.
The obvious issue here is cost as both these places are more expensive to the fast food alternative.

#5 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

Chick fil a is another good alternative to KFC. They use dedicated fryers for their french fries and offer grilled chicken. I usually get their chargrilled chicken salad. Also, Hardees offers a low carb thickburger that comes on two slices of lettuce instead of a bun. But their fries are a no no.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#6 ScarlettsMommy

ScarlettsMommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

Sodas are fine...at least Coke and Pepsi products. With other off name brands I would double check first. But I am an avid Coke drinker and drink it everyday! I did just get diagnosed as well, but this is the first thing I looked into!

#7 mindbodysoul

mindbodysoul

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

My boyfriend and I drink Jones Soda, Izze, Reed's Ginger brews, as well as your typical drinks like Coca-Cola, Sprite, and Mug root beer. I don't drink much soda and if I do I make sure it's as natural as possible, like Reeds. But besides that, we've not had any issues with soda as of yet, it's always good to check beforehand though.

As for fast food places, Wendy's is our go to place. Moe's and Chipotle are also safe for us.
* - Gluten free since the early summer of 2011. (Gluten intolerant. Mother is intolerant, brother is allergic to wheat.)
* - Boyfriend has symptoms of Celiac Disease and is allergic to wheat. Gluten-free since mid-late summer of 2011. (Symptoms have since been resolved)
* - Peanut free since December 2011. (Bad reaction to pistachios, slight reaction to almonds)
* - Trying to go diary free (possibly sensitive, runs in family) and limit sugar intake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: