Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Frustrated With Nausea!

19 posts in this topic

My endocrinologist put me on a pretty high dose of L Glutamine to promote healing of my intestinal tract. I have been nauseous for weeks. I had the flu and tummy stuff to go with it so I thought it was the flu. The flu went away but this awful nausea did not.

So I decided to do some reading tonight and I find out that L Glutamine can commonly cause nausea and stomach upset, as well as C and D.

I'm also on iron and I read that iron can cause it too. I take it at night and I'm generally nauseous for the first few hours in the morning and I read some people posting that night time doses of iron left them nauseous in the mornings.

I have been suffering with this nausea for weeks!!!

I'm going off of both of the supplements and see if it goes away. I hope so because after nearly two years gluten free, being nauseous is really upsetting.

I'm also on Florinef and they are weaning me down to a lower dose, so it's also a possibility but that one I can't stop taking.

I hate being nauseous!!!

Ads by Google:

My endocrinologist put me on a pretty high dose of L Glutamine to promote healing of my intestinal tract. I have been nauseous for weeks. I had the flu and tummy stuff to go with it so I thought it was the flu. The flu went away but this awful nausea did not.

So I decided to do some reading tonight and I find out that L Glutamine can commonly cause nausea and stomach upset, as well as C and D.

I'm also on iron and I read that iron can cause it too. I take it at night and I'm generally nauseous for the first few hours in the morning and I read some people posting that night time doses of iron left them nauseous in the mornings.

I have been suffering with this nausea for weeks!!!

I'm going off of both of the supplements and see if it goes away. I hope so because after nearly two years gluten free, being nauseous is really upsetting.

I'm also on Florinef and they are weaning me down to a lower dose, so it's also a possibility but that one I can't stop taking.

I hate being nauseous!!!

While I cannot really help you in regards to if either may or may not be causing your nausia, I am curious what the 'high dose' of L Glutamine is? And I agree, I also hate being nausiated (which, BTW, is what you are, not nauseous, look each up...lol)!

I find it interested that your endo put you on L-Glutamine. Every doc has a different take and there been debate on glutamine, my doc feels like it is a waste of money and suggested I not take it.

Try taking your iron with a meal. Infact all your vits mentioned should be taken with a meal and I think you might have less stomach upset.

While I cannot really help you in regards to if either may or may not be causing your nausia, I am curious what the 'high dose' of L Glutamine is? And I agree, I also hate being nausiated (which, BTW, is what you are, not nauseous, look each up...lol)!

He had me on 20 grams per day. Actually he wanted me to take 30, but I cut it to 20 because it was so expensive. I had to buy a special brand that is high dose. I quit the L Glutamine and iron and the nausea is nearly gone today! Yay!

I'm not sure why you're correcting my grammar, but I am a former English teacher and well... if you're going to go there... you're wrong. Here's the definition.

nau

I find it interested that your endo put you on L-Glutamine. Every doc has a different take and there been debate on glutamine, my doc feels like it is a waste of money and suggested I not take it.

Try taking your iron with a meal. Infact all your vits mentioned should be taken with a meal and I think you might have less stomach upset.

I've always taken it with a meal. I cut both the iron and L Glutamine so I'll have to challenge the iron later and see if that's it.

I hate nausea so much. It was getting me so depressed feeling miserable every day and feeling hungry but not wanting to eat. Ugh!

...that's a bit odd on that issue of nausea spelling - thought it might be a joke that went over my head...

Anyway, back on topic. I find since I can't eat gluten/dairy/soy, that my previous cast iron stomach is very sensitive and finicky. Now I'll get nauseous at times even if it is A-1 certified free of any of those things. But supplements are the worst - for instance I've come to wonder if I just can't take probiotics anymore. Every one of them makes me nauseous after a week or so.

I really hope you continue to feel better. It's a good feeling to finally figure out why you're not well, and nausea is the biggest deal breaker for me when it comes to not being able to function.

...that's a bit odd on that issue of nausea spelling - thought it might be a joke that went over my head...

Anyway, back on topic. I find since I can't eat gluten/dairy/soy, that my previous cast iron stomach is very sensitive and finicky. Now I'll get nauseous at times even if it is A-1 certified free of any of those things. But supplements are the worst - for instance I've come to wonder if I just can't take probiotics anymore. Every one of them makes me nauseous after a week or so.

I really hope you continue to feel better. It's a good feeling to finally figure out why you're not well, and nausea is the biggest deal breaker for me when it comes to not being able to function.

I decided to go off all my supplements for now to let my gut heal. My Vitamin D was low so I'm on high Vitamin D too but I'm not sure if that can cause nausea.

I can't do soy, but I've been fine with dairy. I cut it for now

anyways just to be sure.

It sucks that we have to be detectives for ourselves like this.

Actually, if you want the iron to work, you don't take it with food. You take it on an empty stomach and wait 1-2 hours to eat after. It bothers my stomach too. Maybe you can just add a little more iron rich foods like egg yolk, red meat, blueberries raisins, etc. Cook on cast iron. No iron food with calcium. The calcium messes up the absorption of the iron. No meds in your stomach with the high does iron pill or the med might not work. I have a lifetime of anemia so I have learned.

The Vit D should be taken with a meal that has fat. It has never bothered my stomach.

Maybe you don't need that L glutamine (?) anymore.

Please, no one check my grammar, spelling or the state of my closet!

Actually, if you want the iron to work, you don't take it with food. You take it on an empty stomach and wait 1-2 hours to eat after. It bothers my stomach too. Maybe you can just add a little more iron rich foods like egg yolk, red meat, blueberries raisins, etc. Cook on cast iron. No iron food with calcium. The calcium messes up the absorption of the iron. No meds in your stomach with the high does iron pill or the med might not work. I have a lifetime of anemia so I have learned.

The Vit D should be taken with a meal that has fat. It has never bothered my stomach.

Maybe you don't need that L glutamine (?) anymore.

Please, no one check my grammar, spelling or the state of my closet!

My endocringologist and my primary doc are disagreeing about whether I should take it. I didn't come out anemic. I was just at the low end of the spectrum of normal on iron. My endo wants me to take it for fatigue but the primary thinks I don't need it.

I can't imagine taking it on an empty stomach! I doubt I could keep it down.

This nausea has been like 3 weeks already but all that time I blamed flu. I would be feeling great if it wasn't for this. I have energy and I'm not coughing anymore.

The past 2 months between being hospitalized for hormone craziness and then the flu, now this... it's been a rough ride.

Hormone craziness can make you nauseous, too. Maybe you don't really need the iron as a pill. Maybe you can increase it with food.

Vitamin D makes me incredibly nauseous even with food in doses over 1000 IU. I used to think that was because some was in soybean oil; however, I noticed it in some that did not list it. I have heard it does that if your magnesium and calcium is low, but not sure. A weekly script dose would at least only cause you issues that day.

Glutamine does it to me in doses over 5 grams. Get the powder as it is much cheaper. I put mine in a little water and chugged the nastiness. I am sure it would be better in sweet juices.

You could stop them all for one day (assuming your doc is okay with it), and then add one back a day to see which is your issue.

Vitamin D makes me incredibly nauseous even with food in doses over 1000 IU. I used to think that was because some was in soybean oil; however, I noticed it in some that did not list it. I have heard it does that if your magnesium and calcium is low, but not sure. A weekly script dose would at least only cause you issues that day.

Glutamine does it to me in doses over 5 grams. Get the powder as it is much cheaper. I put mine in a little water and chugged the nastiness. I am sure it would be better in sweet juices.

You could stop them all for one day (assuming your doc is okay with it), and then add one back a day to see which is your issue.

Crap Vitamin D too huh?

I did stop all of them. I can't take this anymore. It's getting me so down! I finally caved and took Zofran which helped. I hate taking more drugs right now but I am going to have to.

I need to check what my Vitamin D is made of. It's gluten free but soy makes me sick too. I didn't even think of soy.

I don't really need that much iron anyways. When he told me 30 grams of L Glutamine at first my jaw dropped. But I'm paying a fortune to see him because he's the best. He is a researcher and he is the one who teaches other endocrinologists. He's famous on boards for endocrine issues and people travel from all over the world to see him. Fortunately he's only an hour away from me. So I went with it figuring he knows what he is talking about.

But no matter how wonderful your doc is, they are only human. When I asked him about the nausea he said he wasn't sure and didn't mention any of the supplements or Florinef possibly causing it. Yet nausea is the number one side effect listed for Florinef. I think they just have too much information in their heads to recall it all sometimes.

I tend to be pretty sensitive to things and medicines and supplements do affect me easily. I sure hope it's just the supplements because that is such an easy fix!!!

I have a great new GI doc who knows a lot about celiac and I see him tomorrow. I'm afraid he will want to scope me though and I've been though so much already. I'm still testing to rule out Cushings and I need a pituitary MRI next week. The first one was clean, but it was on an older weaker machine and he insists on the newer stronger magnet to be certain. I can't take much more testing right now, especially the invasive kind.

Something you might want to try - the nightshade family of veges used to make me horrendously nauseous a year or so ago. And it used to start 2 hours or more after the meal, so I never made the connection until I gave up my lunch salad and the nausea went away. When I examined my food journal I noticed the pattern. Even now and then a big salad with lots of green/red pepper will get me badly.

Have you had a recent endoscope? You might have inflammation on your stomach/ulcer from whatever reason - might not even be gluten-related.

You can try some home remedies for nausea when it's bad - ginger is *very* good for calming the stomach when you have nausea, hope this helps!

Look for the 10,000 IU unit vitamin D. I forget who makes it. It is over the counter and no soy. It still caused me issues. I have heard quite a few people have issues with vitamin D in general.

Look for the 10,000 IU unit vitamin D. I forget who makes it. It is over the counter and no soy. It still caused me issues. I have heard quite a few people have issues with vitamin D in general.

What a bummer. I just woke up and it seemed to be better, but I went ahead and took Zofran in case because I just can't deal with it. Supplements are so frustrating!

Marz- that's what I'm afraid of. I see the GI today and I bet he will want to do a scope. But I'm an emotional wreck about everything I've been through medically in the past couple of months and I'm not sure I can take it.

Sandsurfgirl, have you tried some ginger or peppermint to help with the nausea? Sometimes candycanes or peppermint tea or ginger chews or ginger tea help when I'm feeling sick. A bit of Tiger Balm or peppermint oil on the temples and under the nose, too. Hope you feel better!

Sandsurfgirl, have you tried some ginger or peppermint to help with the nausea? Sometimes candycanes or peppermint tea or ginger chews or ginger tea help when I'm feeling sick. A bit of Tiger Balm or peppermint oil on the temples and under the nose, too. Hope you feel better!

I'll pick up some peppermint today. Ginger didn't do it. I juiced it with carrots and apples. Maybe I should try it as tea?

Today it's better than yesterday. I saw my GI and he agrees that it's likely all that iron. My iron is in a perfect range now so he said stay off of it and give my gut some time to heal. He said it can take a few days to get back to normal after iron. He's testing some other stuff with pancreatic enzymes to be certain but he thinks iron may be the culprit.

I hope so. An easy fix would be a blessing right now.

Other things to consider....

I was having terrible nausea and recently found out through testing that I have secondary allergies to corn, milk, and a couple of other things. In my case it was the gluten-free cornflakes for breakfast that were making me sick every day. :rolleyes:

If it is your meds, talk to your doctor about necessary they are, and whether taking them at a different time of day or under different circumstances would help.

Good luck!

Other things to consider....

I was having terrible nausea and recently found out through testing that I have secondary allergies to corn, milk, and a couple of other things. In my case it was the gluten-free cornflakes for breakfast that were making me sick every day. :rolleyes:

If it is your meds, talk to your doctor about necessary they are, and whether taking them at a different time of day or under different circumstances would help.

Good luck!

Oh I love gluten free corn flakes! Bummer you had to give those up.

I had an iron test yesterday morning and it came back fast. It was in a great range so the GI said it's safe to quit taking it. The L Glutamine in such a high dose is a bit controversial and the GI didn't agree with the endo on this one. The Endo prescribed that one for me and the GI said there's not enough testing to know if that dose is okay.

It was nice to feel better today! I hope the trend continues, but if it doesn't subside I will cut some more foods again. Sniff, sniff.