This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Loss?

SandyShoes

Mag-d Newbie

hello there,

just out of curiosity, for those of you who experienced hair loss due to being a celiac... how long did it take for it to stop falling out & for regrowth to begin?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

hello there,

just out of curiosity, for those of you who experienced hair loss due to being a celiac... how long did it take for it to stop falling out & for regrowth to begin?

I think mine took about 4-6 months, but I think everyones different. :)

SoyBoy Rookie

Hi everyone.... I really need some help here! I am getting so frustrated with this disease.. I feel like I am aging so fast, I feel that my skin, eyes and hair have taken a huge hit and its making me so so depressed. I spend so much money on healthy foods that are gluten free and vitamin supplements and nothing is working... I cant stand looking into the mirror any more. I know I have to give it time... I have only been gluten free for 4 months... How long could this take.... Does it get better? Could there be a chance I wont get better? My hair is so freakin thin I dont even look the same as I did 1 year ago......

Can you list your supplements (including quantities / dosages)? Maybe someone here can help.

K8ling Enthusiast

We found out that I had Celiac BECAUSE I was losing hair from malabsorption. Hair is a big indicator (I have been told). The good news is, my hair grew back when I started getting the stuff I needed :)

smc Rookie

Wow I hope all the hair loss gets better as you heal! You may want to check your thyroid out. Abnormal thyroid can cause hair loss too and celiac and thyroid conditions can go hand in hand.

cait k Newbie

I have lost a ton of hair over the past few years and my doctors told me the same sorts of things...everyone loses hair as they get older, your hair looks fine, and my favorite--you certainly don't look malnourished! All of my tests have come back normal (except for once my thyroid was slightly low but then it recovered). They always told me I was fine. Then in my most recent bout of tests, a month ago, I had low iron levels. So then I asked to look at all of my test results and pretty much everything they tested was at the low end of normal....and the normal range for these things is huge! So I'm wondering is normal for me the same as normal for a 60 year-old man? If anyone knows how these normal ranges were developed I would like to know.

Kallie

Same. and i am only 23! before i was officially diagnosed i lost SO much hair and so much weight that i looked sickly. I have been completely gluten-free for a year now and regained the weight and hair started growing back in..but now that im super stressed out again with law school finals everything is going to hell again. My hair is once again falling out, i cant see the board in class (eyes apparently going), i have horrible skin (acne and weird dermatitis on arms), and also a horribly pale and deathly complexion. In addition to all the usual digestive symptoms. I am taking vitamins too and i eat healthy. This probably does not help you but take comfort in knowing that you are not alone. I am depressed over it as well. I wish there was a simple fix. I have heard that the best thing is to go get a blood workup to see what we are deficient in and try and supplement those areas. I am planning on doing that once school ends.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Same. and i am only 23! before i was officially diagnosed i lost SO much hair and so much weight that i looked sickly. I have been completely gluten-free for a year now and regained the weight and hair started growing back in..but now that im super stressed out again with law school finals everything is going to hell again. My hair is once again falling out, i cant see the board in class (eyes apparently going), i have horrible skin (acne and weird dermatitis on arms), and also a horribly pale and deathly complexion. In addition to all the usual digestive symptoms. I am taking vitamins too and i eat healthy. This probably does not help you but take comfort in knowing that you are not alone. I am depressed over it as well. I wish there was a simple fix. I have heard that the best thing is to go get a blood workup to see what we are deficient in and try and supplement those areas. I am planning on doing that once school ends.

I wouldn't wait to long before getting that blood work done. I know you must be really stressed out but you will do better on those finals if your health isn't compromised. Is there anything you are eating that you weren't before you got so busy? Like are you eating at the school cafe more often, grabbing coffee at a coffee shop, added any supplements that you haven't had the time to confirm are gluten-free? In another post I seem to remember you saying you had been doing pretty well before you came under the stress, is there anything at all that you can pinpoint that has changed? One other thing that may not apply to you is that for me soy also causes hair loss and while the GI symptoms I get are different from what I get from gluten soy still leads to a lot of problems for me. If you consume soy you may want to try dropping it for a bit to see if it helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 months later...
JuliaSam Newbie

A few months ago I started getting an extremely itchy scalp and people said it was probably dirty, but when I would wash it it would still itch and it itched bad! Then, my hair started to fall out more in bigger amounts. I was very tired as well so I went to the doctor etc many times before being diagnosed with celiac disease. Most doctors don't know about celiac/don't consider it. I've been off gluten for about a month, but I did eat it once by accident (maybe more too). Does an itchy scalp and hair fallout mean DH? Sorry if thats a really stupid question. I haven't really noticed blisters or anything. And I'm only 17, how long do you think it will take for my hair to stop falling out? It has thinned out a lot. :[ It's depressing. Also, should I try to find gluten free hair products and makeup? I don't know how important this is. Thanks =]

rosetapper23 Explorer

I would venture to guess that you're probably deficient in certain nutrients (e.g., zinc, B vitamins, and/or silicon), and that's what is making your scalp itch and your hair to fall out. For me, those symptoms were relieved by taking zinc. If you decide to take zinc, it should be chelated zinc, and you'll need to take copper with it. Perhaps your doctor would be willing to check your nutrient levels (??). Some of us here have been helped by a product called BioSil, which contains silicon.

As for shampoos and personal care products, I am a strong believer that they need to be gluten free. Two very good brands of shampoo are Dessert Essence Organics and EO, which are both formulated with essential oils.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Body is more than likely suffering form lack of nutrients. I too had hair loss. I started taking an extra zinc along with my multi and BioSil drops and my hair stopped falling out. I know someone that used Primrose tabs and that helped her.

Archived