2 replies to this topic

#1 meinelse

meinelse

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:38 AM

I suspect I may have SIBO or a yeast overgrowth, but I have yet to be tested (scheduled for early 2012). My doctor told me to go on probiotics to help the healing process. I've done so, but I'm concerned about whether I should be taking them if I do have SIBO. Does anyone know the impact of probiotics on SIBO? Either way, should I also be taking enzymes? Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:20 AM

I suspect I may have SIBO or a yeast overgrowth, but I have yet to be tested (scheduled for early 2012). My doctor told me to go on probiotics to help the healing process. I've done so, but I'm concerned about whether I should be taking them if I do have SIBO. Does anyone know the impact of probiotics on SIBO? Either way, should I also be taking enzymes? Thank you!

I had 5 different SIBOs, which my ND treated with antibacterial agents (some herbal, some traditional drugs) during a 4 year period. (I also had 2 parasitic infections and candida during that time.) I successfully treated all those 'gut bugs' (no SIBO or 'bugs' on subsequent stool tests). After each treatment I took high dose probiotics (127 billion live cells per dose) to replenish my good bacteria for a week. I now just take a 50 billion live cell capsule daily for preventative maintenance.

Although high dose probiotics (20-50 billion live cells per capsule) will help a little, you may need to treat the yeast problem with an antiyeast agent like Nystatin (which worked well for me). There's lots of talk about 'starving the yeast' by eating a low carb and/or sugar free diet. That may help prevent a yeast infection. However, once you have been diagnosed by a stool test with yeast overgrowth, you may need stronger drugs to kill off the yeast quickly, rather than enduring a long period of low sugar/carb restriction to 'starve' the yeastie beasties.

However, I'd highly recommend you get a reliable test for yeast, bacteria, and/or parasites in your gut. You could have any of those gut bugs, but you need a treatment specifically designed to kill your specific gut bug. If you have candida, you'll need an antifungal agent or treatment. If you have a bacterial infection (overgrowth), you'll need an antibiotic or antibacterial agent. If you have a parasite, you'll need an antiparasitic treatment. A good (stool) test will also indicate to which drugs (treatments) your specific bacteria or fungus is sensitive (which drug will kill your bug). With parasites, docs tend to either follow a drug guidebook or just guess. Good luck!

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 meinelse

meinelse

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thank you! This is so helpful. I will call my GI and ask them if they ran these tests--they collected samples several times, but I don't know for sure which panels they used. I'll request another test if needed. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: