Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sibo And Probiotics: Good Or Bad?

3 posts in this topic

I suspect I may have SIBO or a yeast overgrowth, but I have yet to be tested (scheduled for early 2012). My doctor told me to go on probiotics to help the healing process. I've done so, but I'm concerned about whether I should be taking them if I do have SIBO. Does anyone know the impact of probiotics on SIBO? Either way, should I also be taking enzymes? Thank you!

Ads by Google:

I suspect I may have SIBO or a yeast overgrowth, but I have yet to be tested (scheduled for early 2012). My doctor told me to go on probiotics to help the healing process. I've done so, but I'm concerned about whether I should be taking them if I do have SIBO. Does anyone know the impact of probiotics on SIBO? Either way, should I also be taking enzymes? Thank you!

I had 5 different SIBOs, which my ND treated with antibacterial agents (some herbal, some traditional drugs) during a 4 year period. (I also had 2 parasitic infections and candida during that time.) I successfully treated all those 'gut bugs' (no SIBO or 'bugs' on subsequent stool tests). After each treatment I took high dose probiotics (127 billion live cells per dose) to replenish my good bacteria for a week. I now just take a 50 billion live cell capsule daily for preventative maintenance.

Although high dose probiotics (20-50 billion live cells per capsule) will help a little, you may need to treat the yeast problem with an antiyeast agent like Nystatin (which worked well for me). There's lots of talk about 'starving the yeast' by eating a low carb and/or sugar free diet. That may help prevent a yeast infection. However, once you have been diagnosed by a stool test with yeast overgrowth, you may need stronger drugs to kill off the yeast quickly, rather than enduring a long period of low sugar/carb restriction to 'starve' the yeastie beasties.

However, I'd highly recommend you get a reliable test for yeast, bacteria, and/or parasites in your gut. You could have any of those gut bugs, but you need a treatment specifically designed to kill your specific gut bug. If you have candida, you'll need an antifungal agent or treatment. If you have a bacterial infection (overgrowth), you'll need an antibiotic or antibacterial agent. If you have a parasite, you'll need an antiparasitic treatment. A good (stool) test will also indicate to which drugs (treatments) your specific bacteria or fungus is sensitive (which drug will kill your bug). With parasites, docs tend to either follow a drug guidebook or just guess. Good luck!

Thank you! This is so helpful. I will call my GI and ask them if they ran these tests--they collected samples several times, but I don't know for sure which panels they used. I'll request another test if needed. Thank you!