This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Chebe

ryebaby0

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

Okay, I know many of you are big Chebe fans. So why does ours taste SOOOO bad? I hate this stuff, so do my celiacs ~ but you are all so convinced, so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Ours turns out barely biteable on the outside, squishy and gross inside. We've turned the oven down, changed pans, etc.... still icky.

Of course, we use various egg substitutes-- any Chebe fans out there who are also egg-free? I am tempted to whip up a batch just to see the difference.... Just curious, today

Joanna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LRgirl Explorer

Hi,

I use Orgran Egg substitute from the Gluten Free Pantry. It is the best! I only had one instance of it not working. That was Miss roben's bluberry pancake mix. Yuck! :(

The cinnamon chebe dessert taste just like bagels. I rolled them into balls.The pizza was chewy, but the taste was great. I had gone so long without pizza. I really wasn't thinking about the consistancy! :D The crust was just crispy enough. The next day, it wasn't as chewy.

Good luck,

Traci

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I don't like the red bag of Chebe unless I add an additional flavor that masks the underlying flavor. I usually add lots of garlic salt to the red bag mix. I also add extra garlic salt to the other flavors. I use an avocado/lemon or an avocado/basil oil I found at Whole foods instead of reg oil. I really like the hint of flavors in the oils. I have found that I have to turn my oven down a few degrees and bake a little longer in order to get the right consistencey. Also making the balls small enough is really key. A large ball just doesn't cook properly. It could all be due to your egg substitue, though, so I don't know if any of my suggestions will help.

Hennessey Rookie
Okay, I know many of you are big Chebe fans. So why does ours taste SOOOO bad? I hate this stuff, so do my celiacs ~ but you are all so convinced, so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Ours turns out barely biteable on the outside, squishy and gross inside. We've turned the oven down, changed pans, etc.... still icky.

Of course, we use various egg substitutes-- any Chebe fans out there who are also egg-free? I am tempted to whip up a batch just to see the difference.... Just curious, today

Joanna

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was going to ask the same question....it is so gross, so I am thinking I am making it wrong also. Same issue eggs. I just made the cinnamon kind and just used extra oil and applesauce....not so good! Tried the pizza one last week, used sweet potato instead of egg....hard outside, gooey inside.....

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Well, I guess altering the recipe is going to change the outcome. Keep fiddling with it and maybe you'll come up with a mixture that turns out well.

Guest nini

there has got to be an egg substitute out there that is gluten free AND good...

celiac3270 Collaborator

It must be the eggs--well, lack thereof. It is none of the above (gross, squishy, slimy, inedible, hard on the edges, etc.) when I make it with eggs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hennessey Rookie
It must be the eggs--well, lack thereof.  It is none of the above (gross, squishy, slimy, inedible, hard on the edges, etc.) when I make it with eggs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm going to make it with eggs just to try it out, it sounds so good!! (I don't have celiac disease, just my son) I will keep playing with it though to figure it out so he can have it.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yes. One thing that might help with gooiness: We first made the pizza with a pizza pan that had no holes in it--and the middle didn't cook as well as the crust. Then we got one with small holes in the bottom and that cooked perfectly (perfect thin crust pizza). Maybe that would help for an uncooked center, though we managed to make a pretty good pizza w/o the "holey" pizza pan.

Archived