18 replies to this topic

#1 TiaMichi2

TiaMichi2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

Hi, I am wondering.....are Simply Organics spices gluten-free, I bought their Cumin, and have used it a couple of times, not sure if this is what has been making me not feel too good??????

Miriam :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

Hi, I am wondering.....are Simply Organics spices gluten-free, I bought their Cumin, and have used it a couple of times, not sure if this is what has been making me not feel too good??????

Miriam :blink:

Can you give us the labeling ingredient listing? It appears to have a single ingredient.

http://www.simplyorg...z&cn=Cumin Seed
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 TiaMichi2

TiaMichi2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

Can you give us the labeling ingredient listing? It appears to have a single ingredient.

http://www.simplyorg...z&cn=Cumin Seed

Hi Lisa, you are correct it just lists the organic cumin in the ingredients. I was just wondering if there could be cross contamination involved, but I'll check the link you provided.

Thanks,

Miriam

#4 Heather Anne

Heather Anne

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

My dietician, who is a Celiac patient (as well as her daughter), said that some people react to most spices because of cc'd. She told me that the only ones they used in their house for a long time was McCormick, but even her daughter reacts to a couple of their 'pure' ground spices. She has had no trouble with Spice Island. That is the one that I'm switching to, just to be safe! I've been getting cc'd somewhere and this is one of the things that are going from my cupboard!

Good luck!
Heather Anne

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

My dietician, who is a Celiac patient (as well as her daughter), said that some people react to most spices because of cc'd. She told me that the only ones they used in their house for a long time was McCormick, but even her daughter reacts to a couple of their 'pure' ground spices. She has had no trouble with Spice Island. That is the one that I'm switching to, just to be safe! I've been getting cc'd somewhere and this is one of the things that are going from my cupboard!

Good luck!

Heather Anne, people can react to just about anything and everything!!! It does not necessarily have anything to do with McCormick's, Spice Islands, Swanson's or Progresso. And just because your dietician said it, doesn't necessarily make it true. I've used McCormick's herbs and spices forever and have not reacted to them.

Specifically what McCormick's spices do you react to?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

I noticed an improvement when I started buying whole spices and grinding them myself. I got green spices fresh and washed and dried. Now I grow a lot of my own, and I feel better still. I am one of those super sensitive celiacs who reacts to all sorts of things. The advice here is that celiacs can eat store bought spices without problems.

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

I noticed an improvement when I started buying whole spices and grinding them myself. I got green spices fresh and washed and dried. Now I grow a lot of my own, and I feel better still. I am one of those super sensitive celiacs who reacts to all sorts of things. The advice here is that celiacs can eat store bought spices without problems.

Well, I would modify that a little to say that most people have no problems with single ingredient store-bought spices. If you are super sensitive, you may have problems. The seasonings that are the most problematic are the blends and I always avoid those.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

The advice here is that celiacs can eat store bought spices without problems.

Most.

Most people with gluten intolerance can use store bought spices with no problem. If you choose to limit your options based on someone else's experience, that is your choice. I, however, would be inclined to try them myself before making such a decision.

However, fresh ground spices are more tasty, so if you do a lot of cooking with spices you may want to try that just for the flavor. :)
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#9 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

However, fresh ground spices are more tasty, so if you do a lot of cooking with spices you may want to try that just for the flavor. :)

SO true! I haven't bought spice blends for years - no need as I always buy whole spices, toast them to bring out more flavour and grind them in my spice grinder or mortar and pestle to make my own blends. My favourites are Penzey's - they have cool spices such as mahlab, nigella seeds, black lime, sumac, etc. I adore that I cannot find elsewhere. Excellent prices, too.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

SO true! I haven't bought spice blends for years - no need as I always buy whole spices, toast them to bring out more flavour and grind them in my spice grinder or mortar and pestle to make my own blends. My favourites are Penzey's - they have cool spices such as mahlab, nigella seeds, black lime, sumac, etc. I adore that I cannot find elsewhere. Excellent prices, too.

You like sumac? I love that stuff! I get it from a Halal grocery. The lady said they put it in soup for upset tummies when she was a kid. If you get it already ground, watch for the ones with salt added.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#11 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

You like sumac? I love that stuff! I get it from a Halal grocery. The lady said they put it in soup for upset tummies when she was a kid. If you get it already ground, watch for the ones with salt added.

Love it - I get the whole sumac berries. Awesome stuff!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#12 gleegan

gleegan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

I guess I was not as careful as I usually am and should have been. I was having trouble finding mustard seeds anywhere, so I finally gave in and got some in the International Cuisine area of Wegmans. I thought that I'd be safer since mustard seeds are not ground up and are whole, but I should have at least rinsed them first. I'm pretty sure that is why I felt pretty bad this morning. What is so annoying is that I'm very short on cash and made this curry dish to last for a couple of days; now I have to decide whether to throw it all out (which of course I should do) or try a bit of it and see if that's truly the cause. It doesn't happen to me too much anymore, but the idea of wasting money and hard work cooking over something so ridiculous as 10 mustard seeds, that should NOT have gluten anyway, drives me nuts!!!
Self diagnosed because the doctors couldn't/wouldn't.

Dairy free - 2006
Gluten free - 2007
Soy free - 2008
Yeast free - 2009
Sugar free - 2009 (even cut out all fruit for a year, but now able to eat many fruits again)

#13 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

I guess I was not as careful as I usually am and should have been. I was having trouble finding mustard seeds anywhere, so I finally gave in and got some in the International Cuisine area of Wegmans. I thought that I'd be safer since mustard seeds are not ground up and are whole, but I should have at least rinsed them first. I'm pretty sure that is why I felt pretty bad this morning. What is so annoying is that I'm very short on cash and made this curry dish to last for a couple of days; now I have to decide whether to throw it all out (which of course I should do) or try a bit of it and see if that's truly the cause. It doesn't happen to me too much anymore, but the idea of wasting money and hard work cooking over something so ridiculous as 10 mustard seeds, that should NOT have gluten anyway, drives me nuts!!!

There wouldn't be gluten in whole mustard seeds. Maybe some other ingredient is the problem? Maybe mustard is the problem?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#14 gleegan

gleegan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

There wouldn't be gluten in whole mustard seeds. Maybe some other ingredient is the problem? Maybe mustard is the problem?

Thanks for your comment. It wouldn't be the mustard because I've never had a problem with that. It COULD be a gluten-free roll that I ate (I sometimes react to yeast)...I didn't think that the gluten would be in the seeds, but i thought that it might be a cc issue and they could have had contact with gluten and been dusted with it - I'm THAT sensitive...
Self diagnosed because the doctors couldn't/wouldn't.

Dairy free - 2006
Gluten free - 2007
Soy free - 2008
Yeast free - 2009
Sugar free - 2009 (even cut out all fruit for a year, but now able to eat many fruits again)

#15 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for your comment. It wouldn't be the mustard because I've never had a problem with that. It COULD be a gluten-free roll that I ate (I sometimes react to yeast)...I didn't think that the gluten would be in the seeds, but i thought that it might be a cc issue and they could have had contact with gluten and been dusted with it - I'm THAT sensitive...

I can't imagine why a company would " dust" mustard seeds with wheat? Wheat flour gets sticky when damp so it couldn't be to keep them dry? Maybe to poison the 1% of the population that had Celiac? ( sorry bad joke. I have a relative that likes consiracy theories and he thinks the govt puts gluten in his food to keep him under control)

Anyway, sometimes it's not gluten that bothers us.

santa-dance.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: