32 replies to this topic

#1 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:14 PM

My sciatic nerve is subsiding, for now, but my back is really giving me trouble. Doc is doing a complete work-up on my back next visit, checking for infection, etc. I have been given a prescript pain killer which I have not tried. I don't want to kill the pain solely, I am trying to alievate the inflammation, my back and neck are stiff. I have had massages, husband has worked on back, daughter has walked on it, it will not budge.

I have been taking an herbal anti-inflammatory suggested by a homeopathic doc and I think that is what finally got my sciatic nerve to give me less trouble. The rest of my pain starts at mid back and goes up to the base of my skull. I stretch and I twist, take hot baths and nothing.

If any of you have dealt with this with any success please let me know what worked for you. Thanks!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:04 AM

Do you know what is in the herbal remedy you were given? I find Milk Thistle very good for inflammation. It helps the liver process toxins etc. that if left in the system causes inflammation. Milk thistle helps neutralise and convert the toxins in to a form the liver can excrete in bile. Good to hear that your remedy works though.

#3 +jasonparker

+jasonparker

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:09 AM

Inflammation is now my biggest issue after being gluten-free fir 3 years. Even my messentry was inflamed! When I was put on a course of steroids my life change for the better 100 fold! But ad soon as the course finished after 3 months, it was back to normal. I would love to find a long term solution.

#4 Duhlina

Duhlina

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:36 AM

My sciatic nerve is subsiding, for now, but my back is really giving me trouble.

The last time I had trouble with mine was several years ago (knock on wood) and it was so bad that all I could do was literally lay on the couch. If/when I tried to get up, I fell down (seriously). I ended up going for acupuncture and it's the only thing that worked!

Flexeril also helped if you want to go the medication route, but acupuncture solved it.

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:42 AM

I lucked into an excellent massage therapist. She was experiences in sports massage and also a doula...the lady knew the body. She worked me over - used acupressure and pulled and poked and beat me up. I slept for two days and felt like I had been in a wreck. But it worked.

I vote for the acupuncture, or Rolfing, or a good massage therapist.

My mom also has lower back problems and she does stretching and strengthening exercises daily (for years). Works for her. My back started hurting a few weeks ago and I noticed exercise helps mine too.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 SoyBoy

SoyBoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

Ice on the lower back helped with the pain for me (sciatica and general mid / lower back pain).

Once I was able to, I started to slowly ramp up an excercise / stretching program.

In January, I will be 2 years back-pain free.

Good luck.

#7 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

I developed sciatica during pregnancy and have had it flare up off and on ever since my daughter was born 10+ years ago.

One thing that I try to do every day that seems to help (and this will sound crazy, I didn't believe the doctor who recommended it to me when he first told me to do it!) is roll up a bath towel and then lay down, usually in bed, with the rolled towel under my lower back, right about at my waist. The towel roll should not be so big that it is uncomfortable or putting you in an awkward position. I do it usually at night for about 15 minutes before I go to sleep. If I skip it for several days I can definitely feel the difference...more twinges, pain and also leg weakness on one side. It doesn't seem to really help if I'm having a particularly bad episode but it seems to help keep me from having bad episodes.

#8 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:17 AM

the only thing that works for me is daily ibuprofen.

#9 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

I was hoping beyond hope that my arthritis/Inflammation problems were all gluten related, now I have been gluten free for a year in a few weeks and I have come to terms with the fact that it is not so. In fact it is all getting worse. I think I have to accept that it is connective tissue disease. I wonder if there is a chance you have another autoimmune disease as well? As you know its very common.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#10 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:11 AM

Do you know what is in the herbal remedy you were given? I find Milk Thistle very good for inflammation. It helps the liver process toxins etc. that if left in the system causes inflammation. Milk thistle helps neutralise and convert the toxins in to a form the liver can excrete in bile. Good to hear that your remedy works though.

The herbal supplement I am taking is called Age-Less and says it supports healthy inflammatory responses. It contains holy basil, ginger, boswellin, baikai skullcap, reservatrol, berberine. Thanks for the suggestion on the milk thistle, I have some, will try it.

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#11 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:17 AM

I was hoping beyond hope that my arthritis/Inflammation problems were all gluten related, now I have been gluten free for a year in a few weeks and I have come to terms with the fact that it is not so. In fact it is all getting worse. I think I have to accept that it is connective tissue disease. I wonder if there is a chance you have another autoimmune disease as well? As you know its very common.

This has me curious now. Let me ask you.....I also I am having a pain in my left foot. When my sciatic was flared I thought it was the sciatic nerve that was causing my pain in the foot but I have received a deegree of relief on the nerve but the pain in the foot is still there so I am now wondering if they are not connected? The foot feel like the toes are trying to disconnect from the ball of the foot, like there is too much pressure on the joints in that area. When I apply heat it does help. Resting does not seem to make a difference, infact it is worse in the morning when I first put my weight on that foot. I have thought about trying something for joint health to see that that make a difference with the foot.

#12 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:19 AM

Just wanted to thank evryone for the replies. I did get a private message concerning a book. I WILL PASS THAT BOOK NAME ON INCASE SOMEONE ELSE COULD BENEFIT FROM READING IT AS WELL. (sorry for the caps- computer)

"Healing Back Pain the MInd Body Connection" Dr. John Sarno

#13 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:50 AM

This has me curious now. Let me ask you.....I also I am having a pain in my left foot. When my sciatic was flared I thought it was the sciatic nerve that was causing my pain in the foot but I have received a deegree of relief on the nerve but the pain in the foot is still there so I am now wondering if they are not connected? The foot feel like the toes are trying to disconnect from the ball of the foot, like there is too much pressure on the joints in that area. When I apply heat it does help. Resting does not seem to make a difference, infact it is worse in the morning when I first put my weight on that foot. I have thought about trying something for joint health to see that that make a difference with the foot.

Yes, the foot can be related. I had sciatica caused by an injury to my ankle. Can you specify exactly where the pain runs? Mine was all the way down the posterior exterior part of the leg, around the outside of the knee and down in to the outside of the foot, right to the middle toes.

#14 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:50 AM

Hmm- I'd ask for a referral to a rheumatologist if I were you, celiac disease goes hand in hand with the connective tissue autoimmune family, Lupus, Sjogren's etc etc. Not saying that is what it is -it sounds like your joints are affected, so not just like you have pulled something iywkim!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#15 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:42 AM

I used to hope the same thing , beebs, and in the meantime took every DMARD that came my way, hoping one day the gluten free diet woud kick im and knock this stuff on its a$$, Well, it actuallly, finally, took Humira to knock my CRP and SED rate bak to where they belonged. It was really hard to tell where all that dramatic inflammation was coming from, but in the end it turned out not to be the gut, but the joints, As soon as the joints calmed down, so did the inflammation, so I guess I had takencare of the gut already. Not to say that when I am off Humira (have to go off it to fight infections) my inflammatory flares of psoriasis and arthritis have not been so bad (touching wood while she says this :P )
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009