This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Possible Gluten Intolerance Please Help

azlynn23

azlynn23 Rookie

I have always had bad eating habits, when I was in my early teens I had a mild case of anorexia which lasted almost 2 years. Well about 6 months ago I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't stop puking, to the point that I had my room mate drive me to the urgent care, they did some tests and suggested I see a GI doctor to check for ulcers, I ended up seeing the GI and getting an Upper Endoscopy that came back clear, and have had blood drawn multiple times however I've never had blood drawn within a few days of eating gluten, its always a week or two after.

Well it went away after I took some potassium, started eating a little healthier, and exercising. Then a month ago I got it again so I thought maybe it could have been the birth control I was taking, so I switched that and noticed no help with my moods or nausea. I hadn't even fully recovered when yesterday morning I was in the bathroom puking for hours. I had had 3 beers the night before but have drank beer for years without too many problems until recently, lately 3 puts me into puking fits and if I haven't eaten a large meal even one can cause that effect. Well it seems to happen the first day of my period everytime it does happen and last for about two and a half weeks after the first day.

I do eat out a lot and only really eat one main meal a day and a few smaller ones throughout so I'm sure that I'm not getting my necessary vitamins but for the last few weeks I've been eating healthier, it wasn't until about a week ago that i decided to drink a beer every night for a few nights and then had pizza and a sandwhich over the weekend.

Whenever this happens I spend the first few days with a dull pain in my stomach, bloating, nausea, I wake up in the middle of the night sweating/shaking and vomit whatever water I've drunk. After the first day I start getting horribly depressed, I can barely function at work and almost hate to be around anyone. All I want to do is smoke cigeretts and sit in the sun since i can't get any sleep, I'm too jittery anytime I lay down. I thought that it could have been birth control but my current pill has me taking it everyday, so even though I should have started my menses I'm not going to yet am still getting these feelings. I do smoke marijuana regularly and after the first few days I'm usually able to smoke and eat a bit more substantially but otherwise I have to force myself to eat a handful of baby carrots a day.

I'm sorry this has been long I'm just at my wits end about this and am really debating just giving up. Does this sound like it could be celiac disease or a gluten thing? I'm really at my wits end and none of the doctors I've seen can really help, nor can I really afford to take anymore time off work with this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Di2011 Enthusiast

Firstly it may well be gluten intolerance. If I was a gambler I'd put money on it.

Second try and get copies of all your test results. There are member on here who are excellent at interpreting them and they will come in handy for any future medical visits. Were you tested for celiac? If so what were these results?

Third, do you want or need a diagnosis? If you do then you will need to keep up the gluten intake until tests/biopsy are completed. If you don't then I would suggest you take out the gluten today. It's hard but if/when you start to see an improvement in symptoms (some you didn't realize you even had) you will adapt.

I quit gluten because I had a head to ankle blow out of dermatitis herpetiformis (DH). It was mind-blowing insanity but now consider myself lucky because I have a list of about twenty other symptoms and issues which have improved or resolved. And 90% DH healed or healing.

Give gluten free a go but keep it up for at least a month or two (MINIMUM) and you'll know for sure whether you are gluten intolerant.

Make sure you come back to the forum for any advice! The members here have been my sanity saviours.

azlynn23 Rookie

Firstly it may well be gluten intolerance. If I was a gambler I'd put money on it.

Second try and get copies of all your test results. There are member on here who are excellent at interpreting them and they will come in handy for any future medical visits. Were you tested for celiac? If so what were these results?

Third, do you want or need a diagnosis? If you do then you will need to keep up the gluten intake until tests/biopsy are completed. If you don't then I would suggest you take out the gluten today. It's hard but if/when you start to see an improvement in symptoms (some you didn't realize you even had) you will adapt.

I quit gluten because I had a head to ankle blow out of dermatitis herpetiformis (DH). It was mind-blowing insanity but now consider myself lucky because I have a list of about twenty other symptoms and issues which have improved or resolved. And 90% DH healed or healing.

Give gluten free a go but keep it up for at least a month or two (MINIMUM) and you'll know for sure whether you are gluten intolerant.

Make sure you come back to the forum for any advice! The members here have been my sanity saviours.

I feel like all I've done for months is surf forumns like these, it was this forumn in fact last month that made me think it might be gluten. The most frustrating part is that I am hungry but it feel liks my throat constricts everytime I try and eat anything.

Archived