24 replies to this topic

#1 svs

svs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

My MIL "informed" me that I should eat Spelt as it's low in gluten. I told her that yes it is BUT it is not gluten free and was unable to eat the bread she made me. She is none too impressed with me! Is it rude to give her a list of things I can't eat?
SVS
Stomach issues for over 15 years; doctors initially thought it was IBS. After years of meds for that not working, I gave up!
Have had 2 negative blood tests for Celiac due to already eating gluten-free. Doctor won't do biopsy due to Aunt having Celiac; he says he's 90% sure I have Celiac too.
Trying hard to make this my lifestyle! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

My MIL "informed" me that I should eat Spelt as it's low in gluten. I told her that yes it is BUT it is not gluten free and was unable to eat the bread she made me. She is none too impressed with me! Is it rude to give her a list of things I can't eat?

I don't think so - not if she is cooking for you! Spelt is an early form of wheat. Tell her that you eat NO gluten, not LOW gluten :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 svs

svs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

I don't think so - not if she is cooking for you! Spelt is an early form of wheat. Tell her that you eat NO gluten, not LOW gluten :)

We go there once a week & every week for the last year its been a struggle... last week all i could eat was iceberg lettuce and one boiled egg; everyone else ate stirfry.
SVS
Stomach issues for over 15 years; doctors initially thought it was IBS. After years of meds for that not working, I gave up!
Have had 2 negative blood tests for Celiac due to already eating gluten-free. Doctor won't do biopsy due to Aunt having Celiac; he says he's 90% sure I have Celiac too.

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

Spelt is lower in gluten than common wheat. A Toyota Camry weighs less than a Lincoln Town Car. When you, the pedestrian, get run over...
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 svs

svs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

Spelt is lower in gluten than common wheat. A Toyota Camry weighs less than a Lincoln Town Car. When you, the pedestrian, get run over...

LOL, very true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SVS

#6 adab8ca

adab8ca

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

oh GOD, I just spit out my drink.
THAT is hysterical and so perfect..
**filing in my archives**
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one, Peter! I'm stealing it...... ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

We go there once a week & every week for the last year its been a struggle... last week all i could eat was iceberg lettuce and one boiled egg; everyone else ate stirfry.

:blink: If you go there once a week and she has NOT adapted to your dietary needs by now, you need to either politely school her on what is safe for you to eat so she does not make you things that you cannot eat and make you feel like you're ungrateful OR bring your own food, honey.

Otherwise, for the rest of your life, you will be hungry and feeling left out and hurt. That's not fair to you at all.

If I were you, I'd have a talk with my MIL and I would make sure my hubs was right there with me for support. Bring her a list of safe foods and meal suggestions. If she will not adapt, (and I am hoping she is not that unreasonable) then, bring your own food. Just my humble opinion. :)

Edited to add; I bring my own food to my family's houses. Just easier. I got glutened enough times (even though they tried ) to stop expecting them to get it right.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

If she isn't trying after a year....has your hub talked to her? You can try but that doesn't seem to work. Why would your hub allow his mother to try to poison you or ignore you every week? It's his mother, you appear to be the outsider she doesn't like trying to steal her son. That's why I think he needs to put his foot down.

Even then, I don't think we should expect people to cater to our diets. It would be safer if you brought your own food or didn't go so often. If you ever have kids with dietary issues, you can never leave them safely with her.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 svs

svs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

:blink: If you go there once a week and she has NOT adapted to your dietary needs by now, you need to either politely school her on what is safe for you to eat so she does not make you things that you cannot eat and make you feel like you're ungrateful OR bring your own food, honey.

Otherwise, for the rest of your life, you will be hungry and feeling left out and hurt. That's not fair to you at all.

If I were you, I'd have a talk with my MIL and I would make sure my hubs was right there with me for support. Bring her a list of safe foods and meal suggestions. If she will not adapt, (and I am hoping she is not that unreasonable) then, bring your own food. Just my humble opinion. :)

Edited to add; I bring my own food to my family's houses. Just easier. I got glutened enough times (even though they tried ) to stop expecting them to get it right.

I have brought my own food...ONCE...I might-as-well of committed murder from the looks I got, sigh! Hubby has tried to talk to her but she is older (same age as my grandma) and forgets to read labels! I think I might just start bringing my own food as it IS better than getting glutened because "I can just scrape the coating off the chicken", NO I CAN'T!!!!

Yes, this inner dialog as I have been writing this has convinced me that it is worth getting glared at so that I am not sick!
SVS

#11 Ellie84

Ellie84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:17 AM

What an uncomfortable situation, it always makes you feel so unwelcome when people don't think/care about your diet :( My mother in law is very supportive and she always makes delicious things for me, she only occasionally asks me to bring something like a piece of cake because that's hard to come by where she lives. And that's not a problem for me, because everything else is provided by her.

My father and stephmother just tell me to bring my own food because they don't understand my diet. Even buying a bag of naturel salted crisps was too difficult for them. I try to avoid those situations now by simply not attending their birthdays and christmas parties. If they want to see me they can make a little effort to make me feel welcome as well. Sounds harsh, but I'm quite through with being treated like that.
27, F, from the beautiful area of Twente in the Netherlands. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any errors.

Symptoms started in 2007, but no link to celiac disease was found until 2009. I learned of celiac disease through the internet, my doctor never recognized it. She put me on a diet before tests were done, so the initial tests failed. My GI advised me to do a gluten provocation, which had to be stopped too soon to take a reliable biopsy. Based on symptoms such as vitamin deficiencies, GI problems and osteopenia my diagnosis now is: glutenintolerant, suspected celiac disease. This diagnosis was in march 2010, and I've been so much better ever since.

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:55 AM

Sadly, this all comes down to people who do not "get it" because they either:

do not live it;
do not understand celiac disease and the nuances of gluten cross- contamination; or
do not care enough to understand.

Educating them fully is your best bet. If they STILL do not "get it", then I have to wonder how much of it is just plain laziness.

If anyone in my family were stricken with a disease, I would do everything in my power to learn about it and help if I could. But, that's just me.

When I sent info about celiac and what happened to me (and it was a horrid 4 year odyssey) to my family, I actually had someone I love very much dismiss me with "I am too busy to read all that!". :blink: Really?? wow....Thanks for the kick in the teeth (she does not work and I know she spends hours on facebook and reads People magazine) I have been there for her always and so, of course, this made me feel pretty bad.

I am not saying our families do not love us :)

I am saying WE all have to take charge of the situation, get support from our spouse/significant other and live our lives in good health.

If that means turning down dinner invitations until they see the light and want to try and serve something we can eat or accept that we need to bring our own food (and please do not give us any $h-t about it!!) , or perhaps, inviting everyone to our houses all the time, then so be it.

Our health comes FIRST, because without that, we have nothing.

Take care of yourselves!
Best wishes, Irish

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 svs

svs

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

Thanks, it IS hard to deal with family like this and am so glad that I found this site for the support I need!

I agree with you guys that people just don't get it! They think it is a lifestyle choice not one that your body has made for you! No, I'm not doing this to lose weight (though it doesn't hurt!), no I'm not doing this to make your life difficult; I am doing this so I don't feel like I'm going to die every time I eat!

Thanks everyone for your support!
SVS

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

Thanks, it IS hard to deal with family like this and am so glad that I found this site for the support I need!

I agree with you guys that people just don't get it! They think it is a lifestyle choice not one that your body has made for you! No, I'm not doing this to lose weight (though it doesn't hurt!), no I'm not doing this to make your life difficult; I am doing this so I don't feel like I'm going to die every time I eat!

Thanks everyone for your support!

You bet, hon--anytime! ;)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:42 AM

Have you tried inviting them to your house for dinner instead of you going to their home? If it's at your house then you have complete control over what's served

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: