#1 pondy

pondy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

Please, I'm in need of some advice...
I am dealing with constant pain underneath/behind my ribcage.

It simply will not go away - even though I am careful in regards to diet and personal hygiene items.

The pain is typically localized to my right side. It is present 90 per cent of the time. It is best described as dull & achy. It's like a really bad toothache in my upper gut.
This is why my initial endoscopy was done (back in February). Biopsy revealed total villus
atrophy & I've been gluten free ever since.

My doctor said oh well, can't do anything about it. This makes me sad - I fear I'm not healing at all - and yet... blood tests show high B12 (1481), real high Folate, and normal D levels. As of June or so, my 'thyroid function' was within normal limits... just don't know why I still have this chronic pain in my side. I'm frustrated.

I will be getting a second opinion next month. Any ideas as to what sorts of tests - if any - I could ask for? Any ideas at all?

Thanks for reading, and for any & all input!

P.S.: I've posted about this in the past so I apologize for being repeating myself -
guess I'm just desperate for some more enlightenment. Can't get anywhere with my GI or regular doctor...

Thanks again,

Pondy
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change"
- Charles Darwin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

Whoops, I meant it is localized to my left side (not right)
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change"
- Charles Darwin

#3 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

Whoops, I meant it is localized to my left side (not right)

Do you by any chance have a heart murmur?? Check any meds your taking, some can cause chest pain... I was thinking Gall Blader at first...
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#4 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

I had a heart murmur as a child but I outgrew it. Sorry I forgot to mention that last month I had a HIDA Scan & my gallbladder has a normal ( slightly high) ejection fraction.

Thanks for responding!
- Charles Darwin

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

I was ready to say gall bladder ...until you said left side...hmmm....

Have you pulled a muscle by any chance?

I had terrible rib cage pain before DX and costochondritis, but it has mostly resolved.

My GI did a GI series with barium and small bowel follow through right after DX to check me out. I am surprised your GI did not do this, considering you are reporting pain to him/her.

Whom are you seeing for this 2nd opinion??

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

No pulled muscles... This pain has been ongoing since February - right before my diagnosis.

My GI did both upper and lower s scopes. He said I have lots of villi damage (from the Celiac) & something he called 'slow motility' ... In other words, chronic C.

I've wondered about C being related to the pain under my ribs, but alas, it's ever-present (even when my 'motlity' is regular).

I don't know.... Maybe I'm just slow to heal & need to be patient.
- Charles Darwin

#7 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

Are you taking any Meds ??? Could be an A Fib issue...

#8 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Are you taking any Meds ??? Could be an A Fib issue...

Yes, MiraLax 1-2 times daily, Xanax for anxiety - gluten free per the Mfg.

AFib runs in the family too (mom has it). However, last month I wore a holted monitor for a mere 24 hours which showed "nothing significant".

So, AFib can feel like this? It doesn't seem heart related, but what the heck do I know? I thought maybe I was losing bone mass in my ribs or something - my doctor just looked at me like I was nuts!'
- Charles Darwin

#9 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

FYI;Xanax may cause Chest Pain... One should get checked for A Fib too..

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Xanax:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); behavior changes; blurred vision; burning, numbness, or tingling; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; decreased coordination; decreased urination; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; loss of balance or muscle control; memory or attention problems; menstrual changes; muscle twitching; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, depression, irritability, anxiety; exaggerated feeling of wellbeing); overstimulation; red, swollen blistered, or peeling skin; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, or light-headedness; shortness of breath or trouble breathing; suicidal thoughts or actions; tremor; trouble speaking; yellowing of the eyes or skin.

This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate

#10 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

AFib runs in the family too (mom has it). However, last month I wore a holted monitor for a mere 24 hours which showed "nothing significant".

So, AFib can feel like this? It doesn't seem heart related, but what the heck do I know? I thought maybe I was losing bone mass in my ribs or something - my doctor just looked at me like I was nuts!'

FYI, The holted monitor may not show up certain A Fib issues... It may take a stress test and an injected drug to get it to act up... Is your BP controled well & hold steady or does it go up when stressed or excited???

#11 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:04 AM

I have had that pain, too (at least, it sounds exactly like it). I suffered terribly from it for two years before I found out I had celiac. I do recall that it took more than a year to go away after adopting the gluten-free diet....and it's my first symptom when I get glutened. I usually haven't even finished the meal when the pain comes on.

Hopefully, the pain will subside in the next few months. I didn't even know that it was associated with celiac until it finally went away....and only returned after glutenings.

#12 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:43 AM

FYI, The holted monitor may not show up certain A Fib issues... It may take a stress test and an injected drug to get it to act up... Is your BP controled well & hold steady or does it go up when stressed or excited???

I had a complete stress test back in December 2010 - due to an abnormal EKG. Stress test came back good/normal.

My BP is okay. The diastolic # has gone up over the past 7 months or so. When I'm stressed out or anxious my heart pounds and feels "fluttery" - that causes sudden bouts of fatigue & lightheadedness.

So, I had my potassium and sodium levels checked & both were normal. My current doctor won't order another stress test - she thinks everything is due to anxiety. I'm seeing a different Internist next month for a 2nd opinion.

As for the meds... I'm on a tiny dose (0.25 mg) - never thought to look into that as a cause, but I don't doubt it's possible. Thanks for bringing my attention to the warning lable!

It seems bizarre to me that this ribcage stuff could be heart related - just because it's constant, dull and achy - like bone pain. That being said, I certainly do have had heart issues that concern me & warrant further investigation.

Thank you for the input - I will explore the heart route with the new MD!
- Charles Darwin

#13 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:51 AM

I have had that pain, too (at least, it sounds exactly like it). I suffered terribly from it for two years before I found out I had celiac. I do recall that it took more than a year to go away after adopting the gluten-free diet....and it's my first symptom when I get glutened. I usually haven't even finished the meal when the pain comes on.

Hopefully, the pain will subside in the next few months. I didn't even know that it was associated with celiac until it finally went away....and only returned after glutenings.

I'm so glad yours went away after going gluten free!!
My stubborn body refuses to let it go at this point - even after 9 months gluten free...

Maybe something else is the cause for my pain - I'm willing to consider anything because
I'm totally at a loss here.
- Charles Darwin

#14 SoyBoy

SoyBoy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:54 AM

I take it from your high B12 and folate that you are supplementing. Is this correct? If so, I assume you were low at one point. If you were, could this possibly be nerve damage from low B12 and / or folate?

#15 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,685 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:09 AM

Are you eating soy? I ask because soy is a direct cause of that type of pain for me. The Xanax your taking is it name brand or generic (alprazolam)? My doctor called the maker with me sitting there and was told the name brand is not gluten free but the generic made by Sandoz is.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: