Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Doc Says No Blood Test.

3 posts in this topic

Well the doc says no to the blood test. The other tests have all come up negative (endoscopy,fecal fat trypsin) so he feels that it will also be negative.. I can just hear Welda now.. what can he see in the blood.. So since the little guy has gained a little weight I am willing to watch him. I can always tet a test done on my own.

The doc also suggested immodium my husband is more willing to try this than me I think it will help temporarily but when we go off it it will be the same.

I might try it just to prove that.

Then the doc suggested that some people are successful in using acidopholis.. I can do that easily, and that some are su*ccessful with diatary manipulation.. hm

mm..

he is not sensitive to gluten but yet dietary adjustments might help??? HELLO

oh well I have another doc reccomendation and the enterolab tests yet to do.. I will watch him for a few weeks see if his weight stays steady.

He woke us up with a bang this morning! Throwing up all over us!!! fun fun!

Thanks for listening!

Ads by Google:

Immodium worked for me until I had the Celiac crisis and then it no longer worked. I might as well have not taken it. It really seemed to make the pain and diarrhea worse instead of better. The only thing that helped me was the gluten-free diet and that took several months to start working. But, of course, I was not diagnosed until my villi had been damaged badly. So all of those cute little barbaric tests they did, registered to the max, blood tests and biopsies. On some people those tests do not register until a lot of damage has been done. So, I'm with Welda, go for enterolab. At least Dr. Fine tries to catch the disease before major damage has been done. Shirley

I don't know exactly what your situation is, but our peds and peds GI both advised against using any medication in children with diarrhea. If the problem is some sort of IBS, non-diarrheal meds can actually make it much worse (or at least that's my non-medical understanding of it). Acidophilus can help, but it takes a couple weeks to see any difference if it's going to work at all. Has he been tested (blood tests) for food allergies? Throwing up is a common food-allergen reaction (sorry if you've been over this)

Don't let ANY doctor tell you weight loss isn't a problem. My son just got out of 6 weeks of hospitalization -- they knew he was celiac, but kept saying "let's give it a little more time...." Turns out he has an egg allergy, celiac, and probably a rare disorder called autoimmune enteropathy. At 10 years, he was in the negative 7 percentile and still losing weight. Only strong anti-rejection medicine saved his life. You need a peds GI doctor, and most every large hospital has a few. Good luck. Perservere, and trust your instincts....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• My daughter, who is almost 21 and has celiac disease, was diagnosed with Epilepsy a year ago. Hindsight being 20/20, we realized she had been having seizure since she was a teenager but the random passing out and feelings of being 'out of it' were attributed to dehydration or poor nutrition and sleep habits during numerous trips to the emergency room. In our reading about Epilepsy, I have found some mention of celiac and gluten issue connections and even where a strict adherence to a gluten-free diet provided a lot of improve the with frequency and severity of seizures.  I would be interested to know if anyone else shares this experience.
    • I have also reacted to various Planters products, believing them to be safe because gluten is not listed in the allergens but have had almost identical reactions to yours.  It did not occur to me that I might be getting zapped from them until just recently when I ate some of their Salt and Vinegar almonds and became really ill and then recognized that I had reacted to them before. I have notice in the past few months that the 'Hermans' brand nuts, which have never mentioned wheat in their allergens now carries the 'processed in a plant that processes wheat' disclaimer.  It makes me wonder if all nuts are processed in the same manner and if all nuts and nut products should be considered unsafe? I know that I will not trust the Planters brand any longer regardless of whether wheat is listed or not.
    • I've heard some people say that they're gluten free, and some say they're not.. I had a container of planter's cashews that I ate a few days ago and I haven't been feeling that great since then. I thought I was fine, but yesterday I woke up with a headache and was feeling really gassy all day. Then since last night, every once in a while I'll have some stomach cramps. They last for a few minutes and then go away.. that has happened 3 or 4 times since last night. It seems weird that I wouldn't have a reaction right away though.. or at least within a few hours of eating them. I ate some on thursday and on friday, and I didn't really start to feel sick until saturday. It's been a while since I last got glutened though, so maybe my reaction has changed? Or maybe I'm being paranoid and I just ate too many cashews haha. But that's the only thing I've eaten in the past like 2 weeks that was different. Has anyone else had a problem with planter's nuts?
    • Well, a different doc is checking for wheat allergy not the one who ran the celiac test. Interesting about the lyme and ttg iga, I didn't know that.  So much to muddy the waters with her.  She's been treated for lyme for many years but they keep coming back with other tick borne illnesses that may be infecting her.  But since  the testing is so poor and nothing is solid in her testing, I am needing to look at every avenue I can to try to help her.  It's just not adding up. As a young child she had sensory processing disorder, than PANDAS (reaction to strep), then Lyme.  Was gluten free for many years until we added it back in about 4 years ago.  Then 3 months ago started failing fast with psych symptoms of dissociation, anxiety, fears, unwanted laughter, joint pain, random pain, feeling ill after every meal, severe pain after wheat and dairy combo followed by diarrhea.  I hope we get a good GI who will at the very least be willing to rule out celiac as we are running out of ideas.   I hope after all her testing she will be willing to go gluten-free again regardless of what we find, to see if it will help her.                 
    • Great point.  EoE!   http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/related-conditions/eosinophilic-esophagitis
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Feralgurl