This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Healing Foods/probiotics

kallie

kallie Rookie

Hi everyone,

I have recently gone gluten-free (still waiting on test results) and I'm feeling so much better. I was wondering what people's recommendations would be for the types of foods that will heal my intestinal track the most quickly. I hear so much conflicting information...for example high fiber or low fiber, how much protiens and fats, etc. Should I be only eating foods that are easily digested, or more high fiber stuff? Should I avoid all grains for awhile? Also, will taking a probiotic help me at this point or should I wait until I am healed more?

Thanks!

K

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

judy05 Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I have recently gone gluten-free (still waiting on test results) and I'm feeling so much better. I was wondering what people's recommendations would be for the types of foods that will heal my intestinal track the most quickly. I hear so much conflicting information...for example high fiber or low fiber, how much protiens and fats, etc. Should I be only eating foods that are easily digested, or more high fiber stuff? Should I avoid all grains for awhile? Also, will taking a probiotic help me at this point or should I wait until I am healed more?

Thanks!

K

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would keep it simple. I spent a whole summer (last year) eating nothing but chicken, bland veggies, applesauce, and a few fruits like bananas, canned fruit,etc.

You must give your body a chance to heal. Don't overdo on the grains, stick to mostly rice if you can and slowly introduce other foods. Keep a journal so you can remember which ones seem to bother you. Also gluten-free tea helps. If you get constipated, try fiber like Citracel which is gluten free. Introduce fiber slowly back and watch how you react. I never took probiotics so I can't answer that.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

K

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probiotics, enzymes, and liquid vitamins really helped my healing time so it's something to maybe try and see if they help you out.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Kallie...I was wondering the same thing about what to eat in the beginning. I feel like eating alot of different things might not be helping me too much...although I don't think I look anorexic anymore :D

The dietician I saw today said I could eat anything as long as its gluten-free. She said the only food that will slow healing is gluten. I'm not sure exactly whats the right thing to do.

kallie Rookie

Thanks guys. I will try to keep it simple. I've been craving corn for some reason but I should probably avoid it for now.

CaliGirl Newbie

I once read somewhere (I know, that's not very specific) that your body craves things that cause it to react badly. Like, lactose-interolant people crave milk. I thought that was interesting. As a result, when I am having a overpowering desire to have ice cream, it makes me wonder why I really want it. Is it me, or some chemical reaction going on that I don't even know about?

This is totally anecdotal, but I would steer clear of corn for a while if I were you.

Rachel

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hi, About the probiotics, on some of the other boards I go to people seem to talk about these like they are the holy grail or something. It is my understanding that these are very helpful for people whose digestive tract bacteria have gotten out of wack due to antibiotic use. If you have used an antibiotic in the last year or so they may be of some help. Otherwise I don't think they do much more than add another med to your plate but they shouldn't hurt you as long as they are gluten free. I am not a medical professional and this is of course only my opinion but if your system tolerates dairy in the form of yogurt if you get some plain with active cultures and make some smoothies that would be a tasty way to get the bacteria back in order. keep your diet simple at first that makes it easier to pinpoint what might not agree with you. Watch out for heavy roughage like lettuce and if you want corn make it a small amount at first as it is not very digestable. Best wishes. Gluten Free is the way to be.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived