9 replies to this topic

#1 RWWolfe

RWWolfe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

My dad, who is 82, was diagnosed with Celiac last February after a difficult 6 months and is now gluten free and feeling much better. Is it safe for him to eat meat from a bird that has been stuffed with wheat based stuffing? It would be nice to be able to continue to stuff the bird with traditional stuffing but I obviously don't want to endanger him. He doesn't eat stuffing so replacing it with gluten free is not really an issue. Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

Simple answer, "NO!"

There is no way you could keep the crumbs away from his turkey. Why don't you just make the stuffing in a separate pan? It's recommended from a food poisoning stand point. Saw a thing on TV about how lots of people end up with food poisoning Thanksgiving night from the stuffing in the turkey. The turkey juice drips in and isn't cooked hot enough.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

No.

I just made a turduckporken roulade and can tell you that crap (stuffing) gets on everything.

On top of that, I'd bet there was basting going on...and that would have stuffing drippings in it.

And it is quite possible to cook a stuffed bird without killing people (use a thermometer). Cooking an unstuffed bird is easier, IMO.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

No.

I just made a turduckporken roulade and can tell you that crap (stuffing) gets on everything.

On top of that, I'd bet there was basting going on...and that would have stuffing drippings in it.

And it is quite possible to cook a stuffed bird without killing people (use a thermometer). Cooking an unstuffed bird is easier, IMO.

Good point on the basting & juices.

But most people put the thermometer in the bird meat, not the interior where the stuffing is. I just thought it was one more reason to make her gluten separate and not poison her dad.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

Not safe. Try a cornbread stuffing made with gluten-free cornbread, or make your stuffing from gluten-free bread. I hear the inedible Ener-G bread actually makes quite good stuffing.

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

Good point on the basting & juices.

But most people put the thermometer in the bird meat, not the interior where the stuffing is. I just thought it was one more reason to make her gluten separate and not poison her dad.

You're right. I tested mine in several places to hit stuffing and meat. Most people stick the thermometer in the leg area but not the stuffing.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#7 Leper Messiah

Leper Messiah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Absolutely no. Separate all the way.
Knowledge is power; arm yourself - Propagandhi

#8 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:08 AM

just gonna echo what everyone else is saying: absolutely NOT. you'll CC the entire bird, no matter how hard you try.

make the stuffing separately and add it to the turkey on your plates, in a separate place from where your celiac family serves their food.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#9 RWWolfe

RWWolfe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll cook the stuffing seperately.

#10 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

I just want to check back in and add that it is very sweet and good of you to actually care and actually check up on this rather than making assumptions. It makes me sad when my aunt offers me a piece of delicious-looking pie with the crust cut off, which I know would not be safe at all, but she doesn't get it.

so, on behalf of celiacs everywhere--thanks :)

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: