Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

READ FIRST: Super Sensitive Celiacs Disclaimer   09/23/2015

This section of the forum is devoted to those who have responses to gluten beyond the experience of the majority of celiacs. It should not be construed as representative of the symptoms you are likely to encounter or precautions you need to take. Only those with extreme reactions need go to the lengths discussed here. Many people with newly diagnosed celiac disease have a condition known as leaky gut syndrome, which can lead to the development of sensitivity to other foods until the gut is healed - which may take as long as one to three years. At that time they are often able to reincorporate into their diet foods to which they have formerly been sensitive. Leaky gut syndrome leads many people to believe they are being exposed to gluten when they are in fact reacting to other foods.
    • admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Safe Brands Of Spices

26 posts in this topic

What do you guys use? Right now I am using Penzey's and they say it is gluten free but they do make soup bases that contain gluten though apparently at a different facility. Still, you can never be paranoid enough when it comes to gluten CC :/ so I figure I should call them. Anyways, what does everyone else use?

Ads by Google:

What do you guys use? Right now I am using Penzey's and they say it is gluten free but they do make soup bases that contain gluten though apparently at a different facility. Still, you can never be paranoid enough when it comes to gluten CC :/ so I figure I should call them. Anyways, what does everyone else use?

Hey Joe! If the company can claim that their product do not contain gluten ingredients, but process gluten containing products at a different location...that's a pretty darn good.

AND...they are based in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin! They have to be good. :P

... they say it is gluten free but they do make soup bases that contain gluten though apparently at a different facility. Still, you can never be paranoid enough when it comes to gluten CC :/

Actually, you can be too paranoid. A different facility is a different facility. It happens to be owned by the same brand. There is nothing else in common. Maybe there is a bakery beside their spice processing facility? Even that would not concern me, though.

I have had good success with Durkee, Spice Islands, and McCormick. I cook a great deal and for groups of 8-10 people on occasion, so I go through a lot of spices. I tend to stay aware from any pre-mixed seasonins from anyone but those three.

I've been growing my own. It's pretty easy and doesn't take up much space in the garden. That way you can use fresh in season which taste much better too.

I've been growing my own. It's pretty easy and doesn't take up much space in the garden. That way you can use fresh in season which taste much better too.

Been growing my own for years, with a short growing season I dry as many as I can for the winter. I buy some fresh (expensive) during the Winter months if I need them. I also have McCormick in the pantry.

Me too! :)

Fresh is best---when I can grow them myself or buy them at the Farmer's Market. I dry mine and use them all winter.

McCormick's brand works for me as well.

And hon, there's no need to be "paranoid too much" about such things. You just make yourself nutsy for no good reason. ;)

A separate facility is as good as it gets.

Sssshhh! Don't tell anyone. Those pretty green bushes that were growing in my front flower bed were basil. Not allowed to have a produce type garden in the front yard.

Sssshhh! Don't tell anyone. Those pretty green bushes that were growing in my front flower bed were basil. Not allowed to have a produce type garden in the front yard.

awwwright!!! you rebel, you! ;) So proud of you!

A different facility does no good if materials are obtained from someone else without a different facility. Unless they are testing things as they come in, you can't know.

How paranoid is too paranoid depends on how easily you get sick, and how sick you get.

Edited to state that this would only apply if gluten containing grains are involved somewhere in the process.

We could say that about any food we eat, couldn't we? We can't know.

So what do we do? Not eat?

Realistically, not everyone can grow their own food. Not everyone has the money, the physical capacity, the back yard, the right growing temperature. Some people live in flats in the city or in senior housing.

We have to take some leap of faith sometimes to be able to EAT.

Paranoia is defined as a thought process influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.

I think paranoia --on any level---perpetuates illness.

Why be paranoid about living your life? I spent five years pre-DX in gluten-induced anxiety hell, fearing for my life without having to worry incessantly about every damn morsel that goes in my mouth now. My doctor has echoed this same sentiment to me.

Should we all be CAREFUL?? YES, of course!! :) None of us want to be sick from gluten CC.

The OP asked and we ALL answered: these spices do not bother us other sensitive celiacs who react quickly to gluten CC.

None of us would say this if we were not 100% sure.

If anyone uses them after we report that they are okay for us ---and that person has WHAT SEEMS TO BE a GLUTEN reaction-- then they should avoid them.

BUT....Not every thing that makes us feel "off" is from gluten.

It all comes back to the same thing.

Use your common sense, read labels, call companies if you are concerned.

Being paranoid is counter-productive to healing on any level: physical, emotional, spiritual. And the last thing a newly DXed person needs is to be paranoid about adapting to a gluten free life. It's hard enough for some who are not feeling well or who are still having neurological symptoms like anxiety and poor cognition without THAT extra burden.

Geesh, I am just trying to be REALISTIC and RATIONAL here and this is just my humble opinion, submitted with all due respect. :)

Realistically, not everyone can grow their own food. Not everyone has the money, the physical capacity, the back yard, the right growing temperature. Some people live in flats in the city or in senior housing.

Paranoia is defined as a thought process influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.

Why be paranoid about living your life? I spent five years pre-DX in gluten-induced anxiety hell, fearing for my life without having to worry incessantly about every damn morsel that goes in my mouth now. My doctor has echoed this same sentiment to me.

Should we all be CAREFUL?? YES, of course!! :) None of us want to be sick from gluten CC.

The OP asked and we ALL answered: these spices do not bother us other sensitive celiacs who react quickly to gluten CC.

If anyone uses them after we report that they are okay for us ---and that person has WHAT SEEMS TO BE a GLUTEN reaction-- then they should avoid them.

Being paranoid is counter-productive to healing on any level: physical, emotional, spiritual. And the last thing a newly DXed person needs is to be paranoid about adapting to a gluten free life. It's hard enough for some who are not feeling well or who are still having neurological symptoms like anxiety and poor cognition without THAT extra burden.

Geesh, I am just trying to be REALISTIC and RATIONAL here and this is just my humble opinion, submitted with all due respect. :)

Irish Heart,

Your points are excellent, IMHO. ;)

All of which makes sense. Amen.

I'm not sure where folks here live, but while I grow a bunch of my own herbs, there's any number of spices I use regularly that cannot be grown where I am.

richard

@lovegrov: I live in my house. :) Though my wife thinks I live at work. :D

@irishheart: for a Long time after I first got dx I kept thinking I was getting cc by ask sorts of spices and blends. Turns out I can only eat very limited amounts of anything containing paprika. But I was so paranoid it was starting to impede my ability to eat anything.

@lovegrov: I live in my house. :) Though my wife thinks I live at work. :D

@irishheart: for a Long time after I first got dx I kept thinking I was getting cc by ask sorts of spices and blends. Turns out I can only eat very limited amounts of anything containing paprika. But I was so paranoid it was starting to impede my ability to eat anything.

EXACTLY. Thanks for sharing that. There may be something causing us a problem, but it is not necessarily gluten.

I listened to some well-intentioned people on here when I was DXed and started questioning EVERYTHING. Why did I still feel so bad? was it gluten CC??? :o

Nope...I was STILL SO SICK. My entire GI tract was a burning mess. So, lots of foods gave me trouble: citrus, coffee, chocolate, spices, tomatoes, beans, some meats. Heck, even JUICING some "good for you" fruits and veggies made me sick--too much for my system, that's all it was! I was starving and emaciated and out of my head with malabsorption. (gluten head as I call it :rolleyes: ) But back then, I thought maybe everything was CCing me. I even gave away food to the food pantry --or threw it out---because I was worried about the ingredients. Poor hubs; he was reading labels until his eyes bled. :lol:

After awhile, I realized...my system was just so messed up and it needed to heal. It just "was what it was...until it wasn't." <_< Read that slowly--it really does make sense. :lol:

Now, I can enjoy ALL of those foods and most any spices. As long as I pay attention to labels, when I use something packaged I cannot produce myself, I'm good. Do I feel off still? yes. It's a process of healing. It's not gluten on every surface, hiding in corners, lying in wait for me like a boogey man. :ph34r:

If you are wise about CC, you have an invisible Kevlar vest to shield you from the gluten-filled world we live in. :lol:

Paranoia serves no purpose whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the mini-rant, :lol: but I just think enough is enough. (As always, this is IMHO.)

Be well, everyone!!

Cheers, IH

I'm sorry Irishheart. I think that I was the source of your rant. I think that I gave an impression that I didn't mean to give.

I'll tell separate facilities story to illustrate my point. I was looking for whole grain millet. I found a millet only facility which told me that there weren't any wheat fields within 100 miles and there was no chance for contamination. I could only buy it in bulk so I got my huge bag of whole grain millet.

I was pouring it into smaller containers to freeze when I noticed something strange. The millet was little tan colored balls. In with it were grains of wheat! I couldn't believe it. When questioned further, the facility said that the harvesting equipment was used on other crops including wheat. I guess I must have gotten the first crop after the wheat field was harvested.

I meant that some caution can be prudent even with a separate facility.

Of course, this wouldn't apply to spices. I doubt that grain harvesting equipment would be used on spices. It was a general comment only.

I find plenty to eat even with only fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and meats.

My paranoia comment was to reassure the first poster that he/she isn't crazy. I don't mean that a medical definition of paranoid is healthy. It is healthy to be careful if not being careful makes you sick.

I'm so sorry to have given the wrong impression. I'm sorry to have made you upset.

Of course, this wouldn't apply to spices. I doubt that grain harvesting equipment would be used on spices. It was a general comment only.

But, yet you made this reference on this thread, about spices. With certainty, it would be unnecessarily alarming to the OP.

But, yet you made this reference on this thread, about spices. With certainty, it would be unnecessarily alarming to the OP.

That's why I made the apology. I should apologize to anyone who might read the post rather than just Irishheart, especially the OP. There may be those who I alarmed unnecessarily who didn't post about. I'm sorry to you all.

You apologize but then put your example of grains, which are much different from the spices we were discussing, as an example of how the spices could be cc'd.

Many people may not understand that grains and spices are harvested differently and many aren't even grown in the same area as wheat. They would assume you are using that as an example of how the spices would be cc'd.

I understand you want people to be safe, I just don't understand why you would want to just confuse people?

That's not really a question you need to answer, just me thinking out loud.

You apologize but then put your example of grains, which are much different from the spices we were discussing, as an example of how the spices could be cc'd.

Many people may not understand that grains and spices are harvested differently and many aren't even grown in the same area as wheat. They would assume you are using that as an example of how the spices would be cc'd.

I understand you want people to be safe, I just don't understand why you would want to just confuse people?

That's not really a question you need to answer, just me thinking out loud.

I really need to learn to make my points more clearly. I thought that saying that obviously the grain contamination example would not apply to spices would make it clear that I did not give that example as an example of how the spices could be cc'd.

I should have made the apology without trying to explain why I had made the original statement.

I am learning a lot about how I should express myself from you guys. I am sorry for my missteps along the way.

I'm sorry Irishheart. I think that I was the source of your rant. I think that I gave an impression that I didn't mean to give.

I'll tell separate facilities story to illustrate my point. I was looking for whole grain millet. I found a millet only facility which told me that there weren't any wheat fields within 100 miles and there was no chance for contamination. I could only buy it in bulk so I got my huge bag of whole grain millet.

I was pouring it into smaller containers to freeze when I noticed something strange. The millet was little tan colored balls. In with it were grains of wheat! I couldn't believe it. When questioned further, the facility said that the harvesting equipment was used on other crops including wheat. I guess I must have gotten the first crop after the wheat field was harvested.

I meant that some caution can be prudent even with a separate facility.

I find plenty to eat even with only fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and meats.

My paranoia comment was to reassure the first poster that he/she isn't crazy. I don't mean that a medical definition of paranoid is healthy. It is healthy to be careful if not being careful makes you sick.

I'm so sorry to have given the wrong impression. I'm sorry to have made you upset.

Well, what you are saying here--with explanation--is very different from your original post. Do you see why it is confusing, though?

You are very gracious to apologize and I appreciate that. Thank you, hon. I am not upset at all, I am just trying to clarify some information for the OP. I do not usually go off on a rant, as I am a pretty laid-back person who respects the other members of this forum. I take exception, however, when I believe that information that is posted is either flat-out wrong or will cause confusion and alarm.

There are others too, who post regularly --in particular on this sensitive celiac section--that tend to unnecessarily alarm new people. That's all I was trying to say. I have read dozens of posts where people speculate endlessly on what "could be" causing a problem in people :rolleyes: (and some of those suggestions are pretty far out) and a new person (in a panic because he/she feels so crappy and will do anything to get well) starts removing dozens of healthy foods for no good reason.

Steph, I know you have gone to great lengths to ensure your own good health and I applaud that. But when a new person asks the simple question :what are some safe brands of spices? and several veteran posters assure him the ones they use are safe and you contradict that, well, it causes confusion for the poster and negates the experienced advice that he sought out in the first place. See what I mean?

And really, we all wish we could grow ALL our own herbs and spices, but who the heck can grow their own pepper? salt? cream of tartar LOL

I did not mean to get anyone upset either. Honest. (I'm a lover, not a fighter :lol: ) I just think we need to take it down a notch on the alarmist tone. We go "good things" on here for others ;) and we should aim to keep the information as helpful as possible.

And that is --as always--just my humble opinion.

Best wishes, IH

If it didn't apply to the topic of spices, why give the example at all?

You're not stupid or clueless. You have a lot of good info for people.

Sorry... This doesn't belong on a topic about spices. I'll stop.

If it didn't apply to the topic of spices, why give the example at all?

I apologized because I saw that I shouldn't have given an example.

I gave the example because I was hoping for some compassion and understanding, which I did get from Irishheart. Thank you Irishheart.

You're not stupid or clueless. You have a lot of good info for people.

Thank you.

I think we're done here.