#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

@lovegrov: I live in my house. :) Though my wife thinks I live at work. :D

@irishheart: for a Long time after I first got dx I kept thinking I was getting cc by ask sorts of spices and blends. Turns out I can only eat very limited amounts of anything containing paprika. But I was so paranoid it was starting to impede my ability to eat anything.

EXACTLY. Thanks for sharing that. There may be something causing us a problem, but it is not necessarily gluten.

I listened to some well-intentioned people on here when I was DXed and started questioning EVERYTHING. Why did I still feel so bad? was it gluten CC??? :o

Nope...I was STILL SO SICK. My entire GI tract was a burning mess. So, lots of foods gave me trouble: citrus, coffee, chocolate, spices, tomatoes, beans, some meats. Heck, even JUICING some "good for you" fruits and veggies made me sick--too much for my system, that's all it was! I was starving and emaciated and out of my head with malabsorption. (gluten head as I call it :rolleyes: ) But back then, I thought maybe everything was CCing me. I even gave away food to the food pantry --or threw it out---because I was worried about the ingredients. Poor hubs; he was reading labels until his eyes bled. :lol:

After awhile, I realized...my system was just so messed up and it needed to heal. It just "was what it was...until it wasn't." <_< Read that slowly--it really does make sense. :lol:

Now, I can enjoy ALL of those foods and most any spices. As long as I pay attention to labels, when I use something packaged I cannot produce myself, I'm good. Do I feel off still? yes. It's a process of healing. It's not gluten on every surface, hiding in corners, lying in wait for me like a boogey man. :ph34r:

If you are wise about CC, you have an invisible Kevlar vest to shield you from the gluten-filled world we live in. :lol:

Paranoia serves no purpose whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the mini-rant, :lol: but I just think enough is enough. (As always, this is IMHO.)
Be well, everyone!!
Cheers, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:35 AM

I'm sorry Irishheart. I think that I was the source of your rant. I think that I gave an impression that I didn't mean to give.

I'll tell separate facilities story to illustrate my point. I was looking for whole grain millet. I found a millet only facility which told me that there weren't any wheat fields within 100 miles and there was no chance for contamination. I could only buy it in bulk so I got my huge bag of whole grain millet.

I was pouring it into smaller containers to freeze when I noticed something strange. The millet was little tan colored balls. In with it were grains of wheat! I couldn't believe it. When questioned further, the facility said that the harvesting equipment was used on other crops including wheat. I guess I must have gotten the first crop after the wheat field was harvested.

I meant that some caution can be prudent even with a separate facility.

Of course, this wouldn't apply to spices. I doubt that grain harvesting equipment would be used on spices. It was a general comment only.

I find plenty to eat even with only fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and meats.
My paranoia comment was to reassure the first poster that he/she isn't crazy. I don't mean that a medical definition of paranoid is healthy. It is healthy to be careful if not being careful makes you sick.

I'm so sorry to have given the wrong impression. I'm sorry to have made you upset.

#18 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:15 AM

Of course, this wouldn't apply to spices. I doubt that grain harvesting equipment would be used on spices. It was a general comment only.

But, yet you made this reference on this thread, about spices. With certainty, it would be unnecessarily alarming to the OP.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#19 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:41 AM

But, yet you made this reference on this thread, about spices. With certainty, it would be unnecessarily alarming to the OP.

That's why I made the apology. I should apologize to anyone who might read the post rather than just Irishheart, especially the OP. There may be those who I alarmed unnecessarily who didn't post about. I'm sorry to you all.

#20 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:49 AM

You apologize but then put your example of grains, which are much different from the spices we were discussing, as an example of how the spices could be cc'd.

Many people may not understand that grains and spices are harvested differently and many aren't even grown in the same area as wheat. They would assume you are using that as an example of how the spices would be cc'd.

I understand you want people to be safe, I just don't understand why you would want to just confuse people?

That's not really a question you need to answer, just me thinking out loud.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#21 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:17 AM

You apologize but then put your example of grains, which are much different from the spices we were discussing, as an example of how the spices could be cc'd.

Many people may not understand that grains and spices are harvested differently and many aren't even grown in the same area as wheat. They would assume you are using that as an example of how the spices would be cc'd.

I understand you want people to be safe, I just don't understand why you would want to just confuse people?

That's not really a question you need to answer, just me thinking out loud.

I really need to learn to make my points more clearly. I thought that saying that obviously the grain contamination example would not apply to spices would make it clear that I did not give that example as an example of how the spices could be cc'd.

I should have made the apology without trying to explain why I had made the original statement.

I am learning a lot about how I should express myself from you guys. I am sorry for my missteps along the way.

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

I'm sorry Irishheart. I think that I was the source of your rant. I think that I gave an impression that I didn't mean to give.

I'll tell separate facilities story to illustrate my point. I was looking for whole grain millet. I found a millet only facility which told me that there weren't any wheat fields within 100 miles and there was no chance for contamination. I could only buy it in bulk so I got my huge bag of whole grain millet.

I was pouring it into smaller containers to freeze when I noticed something strange. The millet was little tan colored balls. In with it were grains of wheat! I couldn't believe it. When questioned further, the facility said that the harvesting equipment was used on other crops including wheat. I guess I must have gotten the first crop after the wheat field was harvested.

I meant that some caution can be prudent even with a separate facility.

I find plenty to eat even with only fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and meats.
My paranoia comment was to reassure the first poster that he/she isn't crazy. I don't mean that a medical definition of paranoid is healthy. It is healthy to be careful if not being careful makes you sick.

I'm so sorry to have given the wrong impression. I'm sorry to have made you upset.

Well, what you are saying here--with explanation--is very different from your original post. Do you see why it is confusing, though?

You are very gracious to apologize and I appreciate that. Thank you, hon. I am not upset at all, I am just trying to clarify some information for the OP. I do not usually go off on a rant, as I am a pretty laid-back person who respects the other members of this forum. I take exception, however, when I believe that information that is posted is either flat-out wrong or will cause confusion and alarm.

There are others too, who post regularly --in particular on this sensitive celiac section--that tend to unnecessarily alarm new people. That's all I was trying to say. I have read dozens of posts where people speculate endlessly on what "could be" causing a problem in people :rolleyes: (and some of those suggestions are pretty far out) and a new person (in a panic because he/she feels so crappy and will do anything to get well) starts removing dozens of healthy foods for no good reason.

Steph, I know you have gone to great lengths to ensure your own good health and I applaud that. But when a new person asks the simple question :what are some safe brands of spices? and several veteran posters assure him the ones they use are safe and you contradict that, well, it causes confusion for the poster and negates the experienced advice that he sought out in the first place. See what I mean?

And really, we all wish we could grow ALL our own herbs and spices, but who the heck can grow their own pepper? salt? cream of tartar LOL

I did not mean to get anyone upset either. Honest. (I'm a lover, not a fighter :lol: ) I just think we need to take it down a notch on the alarmist tone. We go "good things" on here for others ;) and we should aim to keep the information as helpful as possible.

And that is --as always--just my humble opinion.
Best wishes, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#23 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:26 AM

If it didn't apply to the topic of spices, why give the example at all?

You're not stupid or clueless. You have a lot of good info for people.

Sorry... This doesn't belong on a topic about spices. I'll stop.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#24 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

If it didn't apply to the topic of spices, why give the example at all?

I apologized because I saw that I shouldn't have given an example.
I gave the example because I was hoping for some compassion and understanding, which I did get from Irishheart. Thank you Irishheart.

You're not stupid or clueless. You have a lot of good info for people.

Thank you.

#25 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

I think we're done here.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#26 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

Just as an update, I found out that Penzeys doesn't actually test for gluten. Their spices should be gluten free of course, its just that they don't test specifically for gluten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: