Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can You Have Soy If You Are Gluten Free?

• Please log in to reply

10 replies to this topic

#1 quiltmom

quiltmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:29 AM

I am now gluten intolerant. I am a little confused. Do you have to eliminate soy too? Lots of things are wheat free but then it has soy. Can we have soy?

Sue

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

Soy is gluten-free. Some people with celiac disease are also intolerant to soy, but certainly not all of us. I have no trouble with soy.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 quiltmom

quiltmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

Soy is gluten-free. Some people with celiac disease are also intolerant to soy, but certainly not all of us. I have no trouble with soy.

Thank you. I think I am getting the gluten free part. But still have confusion over things that are ingredients in products. I guess it is the wording that gets me.
I also have a burning in my mouth and gums. Could this be from being gluten intolerant?

Sue

#4 Ellie84

Ellie84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

I also have a burning in my mouth and gums. Could this be from being gluten intolerant?

Gum/enamel problems and sores are relatively common with people who have celiac disease, because most of us have some kind of vitamin deficiency. Smoking makes dental problems worse. Consult your dentist for advice on how to address these problems.
27, F, from the beautiful area of Twente in the Netherlands. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any errors.

Symptoms started in 2007, but no link to celiac disease was found until 2009. I learned of celiac disease through the internet, my doctor never recognized it. She put me on a diet before tests were done, so the initial tests failed. My GI advised me to do a gluten provocation, which had to be stopped too soon to take a reliable biopsy. Based on symptoms such as vitamin deficiencies, GI problems and osteopenia my diagnosis now is: glutenintolerant, suspected celiac disease. This diagnosis was in march 2010, and I've been so much better ever since.

#5 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

everyone has different symptoms, it's hard to say if yours are specifically from gluten intolerance or from something else. Burning sensations in the mouth I think are more common with allergic reactions rather than an auto-immune reaction. When do you notice the burning? All the time, or only with certain foods?

#6 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

Many at least start off with issues to common allergens, soy, dairy, etc until things heal up. Dairy and soy get me bad. Heck, it seems like my GI accepts and rejects things at will with no rhyme or reason.

#7 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

Just a side note! Some products are wheat free but not gluten free, you will want to look for products that are labeled gluten free therefore making them wheat free...Wheat free means no wheat but could have rye or barley....

#8 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

1. Look for "gluten-free" label ("a naturally gluten-free food" doesn't always mean the product is gluten-free; three cheers for Wal-Mart brand, which likes to screw up "naturally gluten-free foods" by adding "may contain wheat" disclaimers.) If it is certified gluten-free, stick it in your buggy and move on to the next aisle.

2. Look for wheat listed (I tend to look at 2 products from same brand - one of which I am certain has wheat in it - and compare how they list their ingredients.)

3. Look for barley, rye, malt (not maltodextrose - that is safe) in the ingredients list - this will not usually be listed in the allergens, etc. area.

P.S. - Yes, soy is safe in terms of being gluten-free.

While I am not condoning this practice, my allergy testing revealed both a soy and tomato allergy (some time before any celiac-related problems arose, etc.) I don't pay attention to either, only focusing on the gluten-free side of things.
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

#9 quiltmom

quiltmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

Just a side note! Some products are wheat free but not gluten free, you will want to look for products that are labeled gluten free therefore making them wheat free...Wheat free means no wheat but could have rye or barley....

This is good to note. I found some products at Walmart that are gluten free. Watching for the barley and rye too

#10 quiltmom

quiltmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

everyone has different symptoms, it's hard to say if yours are specifically from gluten intolerance or from something else. Burning sensations in the mouth I think are more common with allergic reactions rather than an auto-immune reaction. When do you notice the burning? All the time, or only with certain foods?

I have the burning most of the time. I don't know of a certain food that causes it. I don't eat things that are acid.

#11 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:02 AM

This is good to note. I found some products at Walmart that are gluten free. Watching for the barley and rye too

Be careful of Wal-Mart brands. Wal-Mart has done a better job at labeling their products, but they still sometimes have gluten in products that most other brands don't (canned vegetables, for example.)
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: