35 replies to this topic

#1 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

Anyone have a good substitute for xanthan gum? Have been making my homemade noodles with pizza crust flour which works great but xanthan gum is not my friend. Or if you ahve a good homemeade noodle recipe please share.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

I don't have a huge amount of experience with it, but I've made a couple loaves of rice blend bread with guar gum, (Now brand), and they turned out o.k. I used the amount suggested on the container for the first loaf a few weeks ago, which is 1/2 teaspoon per cup of flour, and it was too rubbery. I used half that amount for the next loaf, and it turned out much better. I used one of the recipes for sandwich bread from the forums here, which collapsed a bit in the center - but it's edible. :D

As a bonus, the guar gum cost less than the xanthan gum I found, which was a big factor in trying that option first.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:12 PM

The only sub I know of is guar gum. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

I don't use any gums anymore and I haven't had a problem yet. In fact all of my quick breads and cookies and cakes have turned out a lot better without the gums.

One thing I haven't tried though, is yeast baked goods, but I have heard that you can use psyllium husk powder.

I honestly don't think that gums are necessary and they really aren't good for people with gut problems.

#5 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

I have avoided baked goods because of guar & xanthum gum issues. I'm thrilled that you're saying you don't miss it in baked goods. If you have any recipes to share, I'd be grateful!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

I don't use any gums anymore and I haven't had a problem yet. In fact all of my quick breads and cookies and cakes have turned out a lot better without the gums.

One thing I haven't tried though, is yeast baked goods, but I have heard that you can use psyllium husk powder.

I honestly don't think that gums are necessary and they really aren't good for people with gut problems.

Really? :unsure: I have never heard this before and I am curious why. What do gums do to people with gut problems? Is it like a "laxative"?? But wouldn't you have to consume a LOT of it to cause a problem?

(Actually, I would think psyllium husk powder is really pretty abrasive for people with irritated GI tracts and should be avoided, especially since it requires one to drink lots and lots of water to irrigate so the psyllium doesn't clump and make things worse. :rolleyes: )

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#7 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:02 AM

Too much guar gum will act as a laxative for some people.

You don't use much psyllium at all, and you pre soak it in water so it's already hydrated and "gelled" before mixing it into the dough. The directions on the bag I have for people using psyllium as "psyllium" fiber, and not as a baking additive, use about 3 times as much per serving as I would use in an entire mini loaf of bread that I was leaving the egg out of (I eat eggs, but I like to experiment with recipes to see what happens, esp. since breads taste different with and without egg). For psyllium, you would use a half teaspoon to a teaspoon, per cup to a cup and a half of gluten free flours.

If you want a bread with that fluffy, yet bendable characteristic of "white sandwich bread" then the gums are handy to recreate that. If you just want bread for toast, then they are not crucial IF you are using some types of flours which are stickier. Rice flour is pretty crumbly.

The gums are harsh on some people. For every celiac and gluten intolerant, there seems to be at least one item that is commonly subbed that doesn't agree with them.

Maybe for the noodles try buckwheat flour, which is good for sticking together. (soba noodles are buckwheat). Chia seed would show up in the noodles.

#8 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:23 AM

I have used unflavored geletin in cookies before. I also used pectin in a bread recipe, but it did call for gums too. I don't recall how much I used though.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:08 AM

For every celiac and gluten intolerant, there seems to be at least one item that is commonly subbed that doesn't agree with them.

uh huh .....Ain't that the truth, sister! :)
and rooting out the culprit is just oh so much fun........ <_< :rolleyes:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:15 AM

I'd try chia seeds. I've read to sub it 1 for 1 for gums (dissolve 1 tsp. in 2 tsp. water).

Every time I use them I look for them in the finished product and can't find them. I'm sure they are there but I don't see them enough to be bothered by them.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#11 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

Really? :unsure: I have never heard this before and I am curious why. What do gums do to people with gut problems? Is it like a "laxative"?? But wouldn't you have to consume a LOT of it to cause a problem?

(Actually, I would think psyllium husk powder is really pretty abrasive for people with irritated GI tracts and should be avoided, especially since it requires one to drink lots and lots of water to irrigate so the psyllium doesn't clump and make things worse. :rolleyes: )

Xanthan gum upsets my stomach, kind of feels like someone hit me in the stomach. No digestive issues but still, my stomach is upset and doesn't feel nice. Guar guum does give me digestive issues and I will be dizzy for 3 days. The worst of any of them, for me, is carrageenan.....oh boy, talk about make me sick.....digestive issues, feel like I have the flu and want to throw up, dizzy for 3 days, bad stuff. So I avoid all gums.

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#12 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

I have used unflavored geletin in cookies before. I also used pectin in a bread recipe, but it did call for gums too. I don't recall how much I used though.

I did put gelatin in my pie crust and it worked fine. Tried it in my noodles and it didn't work out so well.

#13 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:30 AM

I'd try chia seeds. I've read to sub it 1 for 1 for gums (dissolve 1 tsp. in 2 tsp. water).

Every time I use them I look for them in the finished product and can't find them. I'm sure they are there but I don't see them enough to be bothered by them.

Thanks! I will look into this.

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

Xanthan gum upsets my stomach, kind of feels like someone hit me in the stomach. No digestive issues but still, my stomach is upset and doesn't feel nice. Guar guum does give me digestive issues and I will be dizzy for 3 days. The worst of any of them, for me, is carrageenan.....oh boy, talk about make me sick.....digestive issues, feel like I have the flu and want to throw up, dizzy for 3 days, bad stuff. So I avoid all gums.

oh, A--that stinks. Sorry it does this to you. :(

I have to ask, because someone else told me she has a problem with it...but how on earth did you determine carrageenan was an issue?
How do you isolate it --when it is almost always IN something, I mean?

Did you take a seaweed supplement to figure it out?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

Er, after I saw this reply I also noticed your sig that mentions intolerances, including guar gum. I was trying to be helpful when I threw out the idea, but not so much this time I guess. Sorry... :unsure:

Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: