arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Still Symptomatic After 6 Months Of gluten-free Diet?

• Please log in to reply

14 replies to this topic

#1 DanPatch

DanPatch

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

Hi,

I have been following very strictly (except for today... :( ) the gluten free diet. Every time I eat a meal, I get extremely bloated directly afterwards. I don't really have any idea what is causing it. This was happening before I was diagnosed as well. Until 2 months ago, and at the direction of my GE, I was dairy free. Now I am lactose-free, and so far the bloating has not changed, which leads me to think that it isn't lactose/dairy. I'm really not sure, and I was wondering if anyone else could lend a bit of insight or perhaps they have had similar situations??

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 krystynycole

krystynycole

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

Corn? It's in a ton of stuff! More than you may realize.

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#3 lucky28

lucky28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Dan, after reading a LOT of posts on here I realize it could be many things. Have you checked your toiletries (shampoo, soap, hand soap, etc?)for gluten? It could also be another sneaky food intolerance (corn,soy,eggs). Possibly cc? I would investigate these; that's what I'm in the process of doing for myself. I did have relief for a couple months gluten-free but for the last month or so it has gotten bad again. It's really messing with me so I feel your pain. Good luck to you, hope you get some relief soon!
"They're my villi, and I need them NOW!"

Positive Biopsy- 08/11
Slightly positive tTG only- 06/11
Negative blood panel- 11/05
Diagnosed with IBS- 1981

#4 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

What helped me was eating for IBS combined with eating gluten free. I started this because I was misdiagnosed for 3 months with interstistial stistitis. The founder of the ic network has ibs and I learned all about it. But when they realized I had celiac disease, I combined eating for IBS and I was able to get it under control. There are many good books out there. Hope this may help. For instance, eat some bread with a salad.
Cut out caffiated drinks. Cut way back on fats. Eat several small meals during the day. No big meals!

#5 DanPatch

DanPatch

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

Could it really be corn/soy/eggs? I've definitely heard of it before, but how does one test for it? Do you have to be referred or something?

#6 DanPatch

DanPatch

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

On thing that I did not mention when I first posted this that may/may not make a difference to your replies would be that around two months ago I began to take prevacid (acid reduction), which helped to get rid of most of the stomach/abdominal pain I was feeling every time after eating and throughout the day. However, as I mentioned before, the bloating persists, with the occasional pain/cramp between the belly button and rib cage (on the front). If you place your hand directly above the belly button, the pain is in the area of the palm.

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

Could you tell us what you are eating? That might give us some ideas.

#8 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

Could you tell us what you are eating? That might give us some ideas.

Yes, and a food diary would be helpful to pin point a potential issue.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#9 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

How about aliminating food with xanthum gum. That could be it. I know I get sick when I eat bisquick gluten free. I just get sick and have to go all morning, so something is wrong.I you figure out what it is soon.Maybe do the brat diet and add one thing back per day and see what happens.

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

How about aliminating food with xanthum gum. That could be it. I know I get sick when I eat bisquick gluten free. I just get sick and have to go all morning, so something is wrong.I you figure out what it is soon.Maybe do the brat diet and add one thing back per day and see what happens.

Have you looked into the other ingredients in the Bisquick? Or milk or other dairy products? What makes you think it's the Xanthum gum?
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#11 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

You could be healing from your stomach acid damage. I have a herniated esophagus and am on acid reducers for it. I had a lot of damage from the over production of acid/heart burn. I had a lot of pain for about 4 months after just healing up. I noticed it more when I was on the meds because my heart burn was gone. Just a thought...

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#12 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

My husband brought an article home from a registered diatitian that said that xanthan gum gould give the d. I can eat bread with it. Just no clue about the bisquick.

#13 DanPatch

DanPatch

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

As for what I am eating, just regular run-of-the-mill gluten-free stuff, for example, fish, pork, beef, chicken, shrimp, corn, potatoes, gluten-free bread, crackers, a few cookies here and there :), salad, nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit, vegetables, eggs, milk (LF) and other dairy products (LF with lactase enzyme).

My GE thinks that the bloating/gas is coming from the lactose, but I know it isn't, because I had been off of dairy for six months before he told me to start taking the lactase and go back on a LF dairy diet. So I did, and nothing changed.

Stomach acid...yeah, possibly. The majority of my stomach pain (ache) went away after starting prevacid. However I still seem to be producing a lot of gas so the last time I went to see him I was told to double the prevacid (2 30mg tabs/day). Nothing has changed.

I read up on bloating/over production of gas (in general), and the book said that it could be due to malabsorption and/or not enough good bacteria (among others, but these were the two reasons I thought most applicable). The others were reasons like gastritis, IBS, and parasites. Anyone have any input on this?

Oh, and I was also thinking that perhaps my system might just be taking a long time to heal...but it's got to be more than that...cause it wouldn't make sense that there would be hardly a sign of improvement after 6 months, would it?...

#14 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:29 AM

You might want to look into the possibility of being a super sensitive celiac. Some of us react to processed foods. What you would need to do is eat only produce and meat for a few days and see if you notice a difference. Then you could look into the particulars further.

#15 DanPatch

DanPatch

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Has anyone done the (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) test? How much more accurate is it than an IgA or IgG test?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: