This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yummy & Easy Garlic Knots

Marilyn R

Marilyn R Community Regular

I had a craving for garlic knots today. These were really easy and absolutely delicious, so I thought I'd share...

I mixed up a batch of Chebes garlic and onion breadsticks (the pizza mix or bread mix would work too). I used about 1/3 c. grated parm with the mix, and used a very large glass mixing bowl to make the mix so that I could just knead it in the bowl. I rolled the mix out between parchment paper and used a pizza cutter to slice the dough into about 16 pieces.

I've discovered that it's easy to add too much liquid to Chebes, because it seems so dry and crumbly. Knead it before you decide if it needs more liquid.

I rolled the pieces into little logs and formed them into knots, squishing them down a bit when I stuck them on the cookies sheet (on top of the parchment paper I'd rolled them out on). I baked them on the top rack at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, then moved them down to the middle rack for another 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, I washed that big bowl. Minced 2 cloves of garlic, several pinches of fresh flat leaf parsely, mixed that with about 1/8 cup fresh grated parm and about 1/4 -1/3 cup olive oil & 1/2 tsp. sea salt. Mixed that up.

Tossed the baked knots in the garlic oil mixture in the big bowl, and set them on a serving platter with the heat turned off in the oven and the door ajar until serving.

They were deliciious. They're softer in the middle than traditional garlic knots, and so unbelievably good.

I'm thrilled that I had six left over to freeze/reheat for our next pasta dinner. I can't remember the last time I had garlic knots, but I know it was over two years ago and I used to have them at least once a week.

If you don't like Chebes, or it isn't available, this same method should theoretically work with any gluten-free pizza crust you use.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks, Marilyn! These sound yummy and I do love garlic knots! :)

kareng Grand Master

We make the Chebe bread sticks with Asiago cheese. seems to have more flavor. When they are mostly cooked, we take them out & brush olive oil on them & then sprinkle with a little garlic salt & a lot of garlic powder. Put them back in to cook. Similar idea. Yum.

IrishHeart Veteran

We make the Chebe bread sticks with Asiago cheese. seems to have more flavor. When they are mostly cooked, we take them out & brush olive oil on them & then sprinkle with a little garlic salt & a lot of garlic powder. Put them back in to cook. Similar idea. Yum.

Sounds good!!! I have always loved Asiago cheese. Used to make pepperoni and asiago puff pastries that were a big hit.

I have done without my beloved cheese for 10 months. I had homemade pizza last week and it "sat fine" :>) I was soooo happy to have that treat back in my life. Time to test the waters a bit more.... :D

That sounds good, Karen! I'm stickin Asiago cheese on my grocery list!

Speaking of Chebes, I baked two sandwich roll sized frozen Chebe dough this morning and sliced them in half (straight out of the oven, not a good idea, but I was on a mission!) :lol:

I broiled the halves for a couple of minutes and they came out sort of like English muffins. I had a BLT with raddichio and romaine on mine. DP had scrambled eggs and bacon on his.

I think I might start baking the extra Chebe rolls and freezing them so I can make the "English Muffins" without cursing about how hot they are. :D

That BLT was sublime.

kareng Grand Master

That sounds good, Karen! I'm stickin Asiago cheese on my grocery list!

Speaking of Chebes, I baked two sandwich roll sized frozen Chebe dough this morning and sliced them in half (straight out of the oven, not a good idea, but I was on a mission!) :lol:

I broiled the halves for a couple of minutes and they came out sort of like English muffins. I had a BLT with raddichio and romaine on mine. DP had scrambled eggs and bacon on his.

I think I might start baking the extra Chebe rolls and freezing them so I can make the "English Muffins" without cursing about how hot they are. :D

That BLT was sublime.

Which dough did you use for the rolls? The breadstick dough? I have heard people put cheddar in them and that would be good for a sandwich.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I haven't had a good experience with Chebe lately. It's so sticky, any tips? Would love to make some of these.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Which dough did you use for the rolls? The breadstick dough? I have heard people put cheddar in them and that would be good for a sandwich.

Hi Karen,

I used frozen dough from the original Chebe bread mix.

Looking at the ingredients, I think the only difference between Chebe pizza crust, bread sticks, and bread mix is that they have baking powder in the bread mix and a few spices in the bread stick mix. So you can make rolls from the other mixes if you add some baking powder before kneading.

What amazed me were the little air holes that looked like English Muffins when I sliced them and stuck them back in the oven. I burnt the bejesus out of my fingers to do it, but that BLT made me happy.

There was a lady at our church who used to mix black poppy seeds, mustard (probably ballpark), minced onion and butter together. She'd spread that on buns, put a piece of ham and a slice of cheddar cheese on them and serve them hot. They were the bomb. I always looked for them at the potlucks.

I think that would be a good sandwich on these "muffins". Yum!

I haven't had a good experience with Chebe lately. It's so sticky, any tips? Would love to make some of these.

I think all of Chebe products will be a little sticky in the middle. I tell myself it's because it's cheesy. :D

I do find that if you follow package directions to a tee, or perhaps even cut back a wee bit on the liquid until you have kneaded the dough it helps cut down the sticky factor.

When I'm mixing it, it seems super dry, like I need to add liquid. I did that a few times and then when I was kneading it I had to add flour.

When I limit the liquid and knead the crumbly mixed up dough, it almost feels like the old gluten stuff at the end, and isn't sticky.

Hope that helps. You can add like 1/2 tsp baking powder to the breadstick mix before you add the eggs, that could help too.

But I swear once you have that hot bread, cheese, garlic and salt again, the texture is secondary. They were defenitly an A for us, I'll be making them again.

Hope that helps! :D

Archived