This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To Celiac & Website

melrose

melrose Newbie

Hello everyone! I've been landing on this message board and website often, via google searches, and finally decided to register tonight because I'm having some problems and would love some feedback. :)

A brief introduction to me/my symptoms:

Age 29

Chronic Migraines/stomach aches since age 6

Debilitating back pain starting at age 13

Fatigue/Insomnia

Joint and muscle pain and stiffness

Vitamin and mineral deficiencies

Constipation and nausea

Chronic TMJ

Stinging/numbness/pins and needles

Hives and rashless intense itching

Photosensitivity and Hyperacusis (sound sensitivity)

GERD

Anxiety/Depression

Brain fog/cognitive issues

Disorientation/Vertigo/Dizziness

Congestion

Chronic sore throat

I was tested for nearly every neurological and auto-immune disorder under the sun. Lyme, RA, Lupus, etc. Finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, which I was not satisfied with, as while I believe it's a real thing, I knew it's not what I had. I thought I was going crazy and that everyone figured I was a hypochondriac or malingerer. It wasn't until about a year ago that it was suggested that it may be a food allergy and or auto-immune, which made sense. To make the rest of the story short, the last time my back went out (in mid-October), my PT (who is celiac) couldn't figure out why my inflammation was not reducing after 3 weeks of treatment. She suggested I try no gluten. As I began to think about the possibility that I may be intolerant or celiac, I realized exactly when the symptoms got worse, and what I had been eating (a LOT of gluten...a lot a lot).

I went cold turkey and have been very diligent about living gluten-free (I also eat 100% organic/non-gmo) for the past month. I felt some detox symptoms the first week, but could tell immediately that I was starting to feel better. The last few weeks have been somewhat of a miracle, knowing that I don't have to feel like garbage every day of my life, and it's a rather simple solution.

Fast forward to last night, I accidentally ate Kellogg's Corn Flakes (mixed into a casserole). Went to bed with a headache and woke up this morning with a migraine and sore throat. By mid-day, I felt like I was going cray-cray...heavy depression and sadness - totally disoriented and dizzy - felt like I needed to jump out of my skin and couldn't be around anyone.

I can only assume this is a normal reaction, and that after cutting gluten out completely for a month, I am much more sensitive. Has anyone else experienced these types of symptoms? And, is there ANYTHING I can do to alleviate them?

Sorry for the long post - any pieces of advice/stories of your own are greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hello everyone! I've been landing on this message board and website often, via google searches, and finally decided to register tonight because I'm having some problems and would love some feedback. :)

A brief introduction to me/my symptoms:

Age 29

Chronic Migraines/stomach aches since age 6

Debilitating back pain starting at age 13

Fatigue/Insomnia

Joint and muscle pain and stiffness

Vitamin and mineral deficiencies

Constipation and nausea

Chronic TMJ

Stinging/numbness/pins and needles

Hives and rashless intense itching

Photosensitivity and Hyperacusis (sound sensitivity)

GERD

Anxiety/Depression

Brain fog/cognitive issues

Disorientation/Vertigo/Dizziness

Congestion

Chronic sore throat

I was tested for nearly every neurological and auto-immune disorder under the sun. Lyme, RA, Lupus, etc. Finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, which I was not satisfied with, as while I believe it's a real thing, I knew it's not what I had. I thought I was going crazy and that everyone figured I was a hypochondriac or malingerer. It wasn't until about a year ago that it was suggested that it may be a food allergy and or auto-immune, which made sense. To make the rest of the story short, the last time my back went out (in mid-October), my PT (who is celiac) couldn't figure out why my inflammation was not reducing after 3 weeks of treatment. She suggested I try no gluten. As I began to think about the possibility that I may be intolerant or celiac, I realized exactly when the symptoms got worse, and what I had been eating (a LOT of gluten...a lot a lot).

I went cold turkey and have been very diligent about living gluten-free (I also eat 100% organic/non-gmo) for the past month. I felt some detox symptoms the first week, but could tell immediately that I was starting to feel better. The last few weeks have been somewhat of a miracle, knowing that I don't have to feel like garbage every day of my life, and it's a rather simple solution.

Fast forward to last night, I accidentally ate Kellogg's Corn Flakes (mixed into a casserole). Went to bed with a headache and woke up this morning with a migraine and sore throat. By mid-day, I felt like I was going cray-cray...heavy depression and sadness - totally disoriented and dizzy - felt like I needed to jump out of my skin and couldn't be around anyone.

I can only assume this is a normal reaction, and that after cutting gluten out completely for a month, I am much more sensitive. Has anyone else experienced these types of symptoms? And, is there ANYTHING I can do to alleviate them?

Sorry for the long post - any pieces of advice/stories of your own are greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome. Yes, your story and your list of symptoms is a pretty familiar one around these parts, I'm sorry to say. And yes, after going gluten free your body adjusts to not having to fight gluten all the time and gets pretty upset when it comes in contact with it again. There is not a lot you can do - drink plenty of water, maybe take some L-glutamine and some migraine pain reliever. Your body right now is in hyper-gear trying to fight the gluten, so you just have to try to relax and don't drive or do anything you will later regret :D until it passes. And how long?? It's individual for everyone. I hope for you it passes quickly. :) Pepto Bismol can help with the GERD if you have it (sore throat??) Hope you're feeling better soon.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I wrote abaout this earlier and don't want to be redundant, but sometimes a hot epsom salts bath with baking soda and peppermint oil makes things better, at least so you can sleep well.

melrose Newbie

Thanks to both of you for the feedback! I'm going through more topics to learn more and read about others' experiences.

Archived