43 replies to this topic

#1 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

Yesterday was the big Missouri vs Univ of Kansas football game. Hub got some Mission brand tortilla chips that were Black & gold (the normal color) for Missouri. Black chips! They had KU ones that were red & bright blue! The black chips creeped me out. And of course you know what all that black food colorig does to your poop the next day! :wacko:

This got me to thinking - what is the grossest looking food you ever ate, gluten-free or not? Did it taste good? The chips tasted very good.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

I was a culinary daredevil in the old days. I would make/eat anything.

Two things come to mind....

Squid in ink made by a persistent Italian chef who insisted I would love it. Yes, it was very good. :)

Head cheese at a German Oktoberfest. (I was young and did not realize what the name MEANT--DUH!) Yes, it was good. :) Now that I know what it IS, I would not eat it on a dare. :blink: :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

Well, the first ones which come to mind are tripe, and squid (or maybe it was octopus). The tripe looked like that mini bubble wrap, with all the bubbles deflated. Didn't taste mush better than that either. Just like trying to eat a rubber pad. The squid was gross for texture more than taste. It was like eating fat worms covered in tiny suction cups.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

I ate dog once. It didn't LOOK gross, but the very idea of eating a puppydog is gross. But I was in Mexico at the time, I was hungry, and that's all there was to eat. It didn't taste bad but it had a very springy texture - kind of like eating a sponge.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

Ok. These are making the artificially overdone, black chips and the resultant colored poop look normal. :ph34r:

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

We have a Wild Foods festival every year on the West Coast - the things they eat there would really creep you out - like huhu grubs, and wetas and oh, I can't even think about it :unsure: :blink: Things that even if I were starving and lost in the rain forest I probably wouldn't eat :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

Fried lungs.

Fried flour was pretty nasty too.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

Fried lungs.

Fried flour was pretty nasty too.

Whose lungs?

LTES

#9 Ellie84

Ellie84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

One of the worst things I ever ate is actually considered a delicacy in our country.

Terry Pratchett has something to say about delicacies:

"Any seasoned traveler soon learns to avoid anything wished on them as a 'regional speciality,' because all the term means is that the dish is so unpleasant the people living everywhere else will bite off their own legs rather than eat it. But hosts still press it upon distant guests anyway: 'Go on, have the dog's head stuffed with macerated cabbage and pork nosesit's a regional speciality.'" (The Last Continent)

The thing I'm referring to is herring, Dutch style. Eaten raw with finely chopped raw onions, this will make even the most hardcore sushi-addict cringe. The traditional way of eating this cold slimy thing is holding it up by the tail and dangling it into your mouth, shown here: http://gerjankelder....haring-eten.jpg Yuck!
27, F, from the beautiful area of Twente in the Netherlands. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any errors.

Symptoms started in 2007, but no link to celiac disease was found until 2009. I learned of celiac disease through the internet, my doctor never recognized it. She put me on a diet before tests were done, so the initial tests failed. My GI advised me to do a gluten provocation, which had to be stopped too soon to take a reliable biopsy. Based on symptoms such as vitamin deficiencies, GI problems and osteopenia my diagnosis now is: glutenintolerant, suspected celiac disease. This diagnosis was in march 2010, and I've been so much better ever since.

#10 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

Years ago I was with friends in Jakarta, Indonesia. One of them ordered goat soup. It came out to the table and a moment later an eyeball rose to the top of the soup.

Very creepy :unsure:

And then we were all in hysterical belly laugh mode for the next hour :lol:

No way I would have eaten that! But apparently the soup itself was okay. I'll have to ask my friend if he ate the eyeball because I can't remember :o

#11 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

I lived in China for eight months, so I ate a lot of weird stuff...
Dog, donkey, sea urchin, deer blood pudding - LOTS of parts of animals that I wouldn't normally eat like pig ears & chicken stomachs. The things I WOULDN'T try were insects, duck tongue, and shrimp heads.

I also ate reindeer & whale in Sweden and Norway, both of which weren't bad, but neither of which I would go out of my way to try again.

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

Years ago I was with friends in Jakarta, Indonesia. One of them ordered goat soup. It came out to the table and a moment later an eyeball rose to the top of the soup.

Very creepy :unsure:

And then we were all in hysterical belly laugh mode for the next hour :lol:

No way I would have eaten that! But apparently the soup itself was okay. I'll have to ask my friend if he ate the eyeball because I can't remember :o

eyeballs...um,that's too oogey even for daredevil me! it reminds me of a bad Indiana Jones movie. :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#13 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

The eyeball in the soup reminded me of something else. There is a GREAT Chinese restaurant/buffet in Cheyenne Wyoming that has ducks feet soup. And yes, there are whole ducks feet, toenails and all, floating in the soup.

Um, I didn't try it.

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

The eyeball in the soup reminded me of something else. There is a GREAT Chinese restaurant/buffet in Cheyenne Wyoming that has ducks feet soup. And yes, there are whole ducks feet, toenails and all, floating in the soup.

Um, I didn't try it.

no, huh?? :lol: :lol: I'm still queasy about the dog you had to eat....I would feel guilty around my lab.... :lol: like she would "know" or something... :lol: :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

no, huh?? :lol: :lol: I'm still queasy about the dog you had to eat....I would feel guilty around my lab.... :lol: like she would "know" or something... :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean. One time when I came home from eating Chinese, my cat was looking at me funny. I never ate there again! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: