This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anybody Else Have Heat Intolerance?(Can't Stand A Shower)

LOWNskater52

LOWNskater52 Apprentice

Even with a very very mild shower, I get this uneasy feeling in my chest and I notice all of the blue veins in my hands and arms become more prominent. I have had a complete heart work up and everything is good there. I also have adrenal fatigue that I suspect that I got from gluten intolerance.

Anybody else have this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I don't know if it has anything to do with food intolerances, but I can't stand too much heat. I THINK it all started with the hot flashes I used to get though. :lol:

I have kept my thermostat set at 60 for years now because any warmer than that made me sweat. But it's funny, now that I'm off gluten (and corn, etc.) I seem to get chilly at 60. I find myself nudging it up to 65 sometimes.

As far as the shower, I can't tell. Because of my psoriasis, I try to keep the water lukewarm because psoriasis hurts when it gets into hot water.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I had a hard time with heat (and I live in AZ) while still on gluten... but that is better now.

I did have a HORRIBLE time taking a shower after they gave me steroids... I couldn't handle the feeling of the water on my skin and the sound of the water at the same time. My adrenals were over stimulated. I was so whigged out by that I didn't notice if heat bothered me.... Also walked around feeling drunk and couldn't do two things at once - loud noises and a conversation made me nuts. Anything and a loud noise made me nuts...

Tarantula44 Apprentice

Yes! I have heat intolerance too, I have a hard time taking a shower too. I have adrenal issues (low cortisol) and this is a symptom from that I am pretty sure...which is hopefully all coming from gluten. I am new to this whole gluten intolerance thing, still trying to figure things out. I have blood sugar issues and I know when I am getting hot (too much clothing, hot shower, etc) the low blood sugar shaky feelings and anxiety get worse, I also see stars sometimes from heat. I'm thinking (hoping!) this all gets better off gluten. I have only been gluten-free for 3 weeks.

Mikael Newbie

Even with a very very mild shower, I get this uneasy feeling in my chest and I notice all of the blue veins in my hands and arms become more prominent. I have had a complete heart work up and everything is good there. I also have adrenal fatigue that I suspect that I got from gluten intolerance.

Anybody else have this?

The vein thing, I get that as well. Kinda freaks me out. Funny thing is, my new doctor suggested I may have Raynaud's Disease/Phenomenon, which, as far as I can tell, is an intolerance to cold. I did try cold showers, but they just cause me to shiver incessantly, basically rendering me unable to move. So, I'm doing lukewarm showers these days. Like you, the issue still occurs even in a mild shower, but not as badly as it did when I was still taking hot showers. Any shower-related unease has been minimized since eliminating hot showers. There were times when I would get nauseous to the point of nearly passing out, but I was probably taking showers that were way too hot. Just couldn't help myself.

burdee Enthusiast

Anybody else have this?

I had just the opposite (low core body temperature) for years. I froze all the time. Eventually a naturopath gave me a complete panel of thyroid hormone tests and found I had Hashimoto's hypothyrodism. Hashimoto's is highlly correlated with gluten intolerance (I've been diagnosed with celiac disease). Hyperthyroidism can cause the opposite symptoms (feeling overheated all the time). So I wonder whether your doc has given you a complete thyroid panel of tests (TSH, free t3, free t4, TPOab (thyroid antibodies))?

• 3 weeks later...
cassP Contributor

i second Burdee above... have u had a complete thyroid checkup???

and actually- u can also have heat intolerance with Hashimoto's hypothyroid alone. not everyone gets cold... or feels cold. maybe that's because hypothyroid can exhaust the adrenals... or maybe its because some of us with hashimotos dont sweat like normal people so then we just feel hot and suffocated...

make sure you get all those tests above- and cross all your ts- get checked for both Hashi and graves, as you can have both (which i do). im very intolerant to heat...

**i DO also have to add- that when i went gluten free (even before my thyroid dx & meds)- i became less hot, and didnt have to put my ac down so much... gluten DEFINITELY can make u feel more intolerant to heat...

but i never felt intolerant in the shower... i like really hot showers and baths, but then get real lightheaded... it's the hot humid air that i cannot take at all.... and even tho i like hot water- when im just out and about during the day- i do NOTTTTTTTT like to wash my hands in hot water EVER!!!!! everytime i go to wash my hands and the previous customer used hot water- it sends a jolt of adrenaline thru me, i hate it... ALWAYS like to wash my hands with cold water.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived