Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Eczema...how Long After Going Gluten-Free Did It Stop?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 Metoo

Metoo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

I am at 4 weeks Gluten Free (with 1 glutening the first week)....and my pompholyx ezcema is currently at the best it has ever looked since I got it! Even with the super steroid cream it never looked this good. I have no new blisters, the coloring is normal, and the map/cracks of my skin have reappeared!

This is making me very hopeful that gluten-free has solved it! But I know only time will tell if it goes through its stages again. I know gluten-free has slowed down the turn over rate on the stages.

If you have/had ezcema did a gluten-free diet completely solve it? How long did eating gluten-free take for it to go away?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

I am at 4 weeks Gluten Free (with 1 glutening the first week)....and my pompholyx ezcema is currently at the best it has ever looked since I got it! Even with the super steroid cream it never looked this good. I have no new blisters, the coloring is normal, and the map/cracks of my skin have reappeared!

This is making me very hopeful that gluten-free has solved it! But I know only time will tell if it goes through its stages again. I know gluten-free has slowed down the turn over rate on the stages.

If you have/had ezcema did a gluten-free diet completely solve it? How long did eating gluten-free take for it to go away?

Hi Metoo,

The gluten free diet improved my skin greatly. However it did not completely get rid of my eczema. I am having to go on a mostly vegetarian diet without animal fats or eggs for a while to clean out my liver/gallbladder. I am also taking herbs for the liver/gallbladder to cure my eczema in my ears and crotch area as well as relieve gallbladder stress I was experiencing two weeks ago. Not only has it cured my liver/gall bladder distress, it has also finally cured my eczema when nothing else did. I then finally learned there is a direct correlation between liver/gallbladder health and eczema--something I had not known before.

Thus fresh blended veggies like iceburg lettuce with celery and parsley is very good for me as well as eating plenty of other vegetables. I also often have some lemon or lime in water a couple of times a day (especially first thing in the morning) which helps stimulate digestion.

The herbs I am using are: dandelion, oregon grape root, barberry root, marshmallow root. They both stimulate the liver/gallbladder to release bile as well as help dissolve liver and gall stones which can block the pathway for bile to be released. Bile is needed to help the colon do its job. If the liver and gallbladder get blocked your body becomes more toxic and thus your skin often then suffers the consequences, as can your intestines and your kidneys.

Lecithin and flax seed are very good too. Am having 1 tablespoon fresh ground flax in a large glass of water most every day.

For protein I am eating no fat plain yogurt, lentils, red or black beans and the occasional trout.

I don't know absolutely that what is working for me will work for you. However I am guessing it really would. Being off all trace gluten of course is key. This means even your lotions, creams, shampoo, dish soap, laundry detergent, lipstick and chap-stick etc. all need to be completely gluten free.

Good luck!

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#3 Metoo

Metoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

Well, its been 4 days since I posted this...and my ezcema is GONE. There is no discoloration anymore! I have all the lines on my palm back, its not inflammed, I can't even see really where it was anymore! After 6 months of dealing with it and trying prescription creams on it, its GONE!

I am very happy, and now will just wait and see if it stays gone!

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

Terrific news Metoo! And I hope it stays gone! Be sure not to get glutened. :D

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

Yay, kudos for you!
Am glad to hear its not as intractible as mine, though even mine is finally going away by being on the above herbs etc. and off heavy salicylates.
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: