This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dry Eyes?

Elizabeth5220

Elizabeth5220 Apprentice

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum so quick history...

-Diagnosed with Grave's Disease in 1999--thyroid ablated and on replacement meds since

-Have had both hips replaced; age 45 and 47

-Current age: 50

I went gluten-free 4/10 for a year and then...thought I'd try it again--I know, I know...dumb! dumb! dumb!

Anyway, for the past two months I've been having horrible issues with my eyes--dry, sand-papery, heavy lids. I've been to opthamologists and I'm told that my eyes look/are healthy and do not appear to be dry...but they sure feel that way!

So...it occurred to me that gluten...again...may be my problem. As of yesterday I cut it out--or so I thought until I checked the empty can of tomato paste in the garbage...after I ate it...grrrrrrrrrr! Funny thing--my eyes felt pretty good all day until after I ate...coincidence?

Anyideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

Chronic dry eyes can be due to nutritional deficiencies, which are common in people with celiac. Nutrients that are essential for healthy eyes are Vitamins A, B-2, B-6 and C, Potassium, Essential Fatty Acids (saturated fats such as flaxseed oil or fish oil), and Zinc. When my eyes were chronically dry, it turned out to be due to a deficiency in Zinc.

Also, if you continue to have dry-eye problems, you might have your doctor look into the possibility that you might have Sjogren's, which is an auto-immune disease that people with celiac commonly contract.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I've had dry eyes for about ten years (probably more, but that's when they got really bad).

I've noticed they seem to be doing better (I notice because my vision has improved without yawning :)). I knew it was dry eyes when my vision was better after yawning... when I told my ophthalmologist about that they started pushing for collagen plugs...

Now, I don't think I need them.

I still have bad days when seasonal allergies are bad.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Hi Elizabeth, and welcome to the forum! :)

Yep, I've had dry eyes, not sure it is a symptom of celiac disease or just general allergies like drippy nose. I like Systane eye drops, which can be purchased OTC.

Wow: bilateral hip replacements at such a young age! Do you have dejenerative joint disease or osteoporosis? Both are strongly asssociated with celiac disease, especially with onset at such a young age. "Living Without" Magazine had a really good aricle about that about 4 - 6 months ago. I have a copy of it ... I made a copy for all of my docs.

Wish you well. I'm not giving medical advice but it sounds like gluten-free is someething you might want to look into.

Lori2 Contributor

I just noticed a few days ago that it has been over a month since I have used my sup. for dry eyes and my eyes are doing fine.

Chad Sines Rising Star

when i first diagnosed myself with celiac, i lived in Tennessee with its 80%+ humidity. Had horrible dry eyes. Bad. Always suffering dry, red eyes. Moved to Arizona about a month after going gluten-free and still needed some but quickly stopped needing it and the humidity there is under 10%. You can pee and it never hits the ground.

Ellie84 Apprentice

Same here, even though in the Netherlands the air is usually very humid. At some point I woke up 3 nights in 2 weeks with a small scratch on my eye, because my eyelids were stuck to my cornea. After the third trip to the hospital in the dark of night my doctors proscribed something amazingly simple: an eye cream based on vaseline. I use a little bit of it every night now and I never have to fear waking up in sudden pain.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Elizabeth5220 Apprentice

Thanks for the replies! It sounds like there may be some hope...

I've thought about Sjogren's...hope that's not the case as there doesn't seem to be alot of good treatment options. I've tried many different OTC drops, some prescription, and I also have punctal plugs (tiny little golf tee shaped plugs that are supposed to prevent moisture from draining through the tear duct).

As far as the hips and arthritis--I've been told it's just degenerative osteoarthritis--I've also got it in my toes of all places but I hear they replace those joints as well.

Well...with the exception of the tomato paste in the casserole last night...today is Day 3 of gluten-free...again!

Thanks everyone and look forward to getting to know you all better...

zimmer Rookie

Well...with the exception of the tomato paste in the casserole last night...

Curious about the tomato paste - I checked a can I have and its only ingredient is tomatoes - which are gluten free - ???

Elizabeth5220 Apprentice

Curious about the tomato paste - I checked a can I have and its only ingredient is tomatoes - which are gluten free - ???

My can...Contadina with Italian Herbs said wheat gluten...maybe an old can?!

sa1937 Community Regular

My can...Contadina with Italian Herbs said wheat gluten...maybe an old can?!

I also saw that recently at Wal-Mart...not sure it was Contadina but it was definitely tomato paste and had wheat listed in the ingredients. Needless to say, I put it back and chose another brand.

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

I have dry eyes too and my Eye Doc prescribed RESTASIS(drops) twice a day...

sa1937 Community Regular

I also use Restasis but only at bedtime. I also have over-the-counter eye drops that I use as needed although recently my eyes don't seem quite as dry. Maybe because the cold weather hasn't hit in force yet.

Elizabeth5220 Apprentice

Day 6 and I may be crazy (Ha! May??!) but I believe there is some definite improvement...

Booghead Contributor

My eyes kill me. Always red ALWAYS. Gluten free for 3 weeks not really improving, I use some allergy drops and the last 5 or so days I can't use them because as soon as I put them in the right eye it burns so terribly that I stopped using them. And when I put them in the left eye it just drains into my nose... sigh, my mother had plugs put in shaped like golf tees, never helped her one bit. B)

Archived