6 replies to this topic

#1 kathrynk

kathrynk

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

can someone tell me what brand of ketchup, mustard, and mayo are safe?! I am a newbie to gluten-free and I have messed up quite a bit this week...I am learning so much on here! Thanks everyone!
Kathy
Diagnosed with Sjrogren's in 2010
Diagnosed with Reynauds in 2010
Diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroid Nov 2011-due to enlarged thyroid with nodules
October 2011-started having stomach cramping and gas pains-mostly in the evenings
end of November 2011-removed gluten
Dec 2011-celiac panel negative

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

I think most of them in the US are gluten-free. Check mustard for beer. I use either Heinz or Hunts ketchup. I use Grey Poupon mustard, but read the ingredients because they may have a "beer" version.

Something helpful for you is : ConAgra (lots of brands will say ConAgra in the small print)& Kraft clearly label any gluten in the ingredients. So if it doesn't say, wheat, rye, or barley, its not there.

Be careful sharing something in a jar with a gluten eater. A knife in the Mayo could get bread crumbs in there. Squirt jars are safer or mark one for your gluten-free use only.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 kathrynk

kathrynk

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

I think most of them in the US are gluten-free. Check mustard for beer. I use either Heinz or Hunts ketchup. I use Grey Poupon mustard, but read the ingredients because they may have a "beer" version.

Something helpful for you is : ConAgra (lots of brands will say ConAgra in the small print)& Kraft clearly label any gluten in the ingredients. So if it doesn't say, wheat, rye, or barley, its not there.

Be careful sharing something in a jar with a gluten eater. A knife in the Mayo could get bread crumbs in there. Squirt jars are safer or mark one for your gluten-free use only.

Thank you! That is very helpful. Is mayo safe otherwise (without cross contaminated knives)?
Kathy
Diagnosed with Sjrogren's in 2010
Diagnosed with Reynauds in 2010
Diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroid Nov 2011-due to enlarged thyroid with nodules
October 2011-started having stomach cramping and gas pains-mostly in the evenings
end of November 2011-removed gluten
Dec 2011-celiac panel negative

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

in the U.S., pretty much every ketchup and mayo is gluten-free. A handful of specialty mustards have either wheat or barley but it's pretty much listed in the ingredients. But don't use old jars that have been dipped into by a knife that might have bread crumbs.

richard

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

Thank you! That is very helpful. Is mayo safe otherwise (without cross contaminated knives)?

Probably. Read the ingredients. I don't eat it.

If its a Kraft or ConAgra one they will be certain to spell it out in the ingredients.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

Heinz ketchup and Hellmans mayo both say gluten free on them by the ingredients on the back. All of Frenches mustards are safe. Check on the FAQ of their website.

#7 mtdewpeg

mtdewpeg

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

I called Krogers on Friday to check on condiments. The lady looked them up and said their storebrand of catsup,regular whipped salad dressing,mayo,mustard and tartar sauce is gluten free.
I am new too and trying to learn what I can and can't use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: