#1 joyfulmommyofmany

joyfulmommyofmany

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

I am pretty new to this.

I am thinking of getting better batter, pamelas baking mix or sunflour mills whole grain mix.
Or anyothers that are favorites out there.

I can't stand any of the ones that have beans in it like bobs red mill and another one I can't think of the name of it so it can't have beans in it.

I am looking for two different kinds one that is great for christmas cookies so like a white flour blend and then another for whole grain recipes like whole grain bread.

Is there any that you have as a favorite?

I was going to order Better Batter and more of the Sunflour mills whole grain mix. I did test it out on pumpkin bread and it was soooooo good!! and it was whole grain. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 coffeetime

coffeetime

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

I really don't like Bob's Red Mill, it has a off taste to me. I keep two different ones on hand--Namesta All-Purpose and Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix. I now use Pamela's exclusively for cookies, muffins, and cakes with Namesta for breads. I made blueberry muffins and gingersnap cookies over the weekend and none of our guest knew the difference. I haven't tried Better Batter as it's not available at the stores I shop at but if I run across it I am definitely going to give it a try.

#3 missmellie

missmellie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:53 AM

Pamela's is good, but be careful if you can't handle dairy. Some of her products contain dairy. I didn't read and discovered it the hard way.

Miss Mellie

Aug. 2010 IgA+ Gliadin; IgA+ Casein; IgA+ Egg; IgA+ Soy.
Sept. 2010 IgG+ for cow's milk, peach, yeast, chili pepper, egg white & yolk, lentil, soy, cola nut, coriander/cumin/dill, nutmeg/peppercorn, sesame seed, turkey, and wheat

Hypothyroidism, arthritis, GERD, overweight, chronic sleeping issues

#4 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

I like Tom Sawyer. (It has gelatin in it, which is great for us because we are egg free too. Not for vegans though.)
Better Batter is good.
I like Gluten Free Pantry's flour mix. It used to be easy to find around my area. I don't know why it hasn't been in the stores lately.

As for mixing your own blend, double check with the recipes.

I do love Pamela's for the package recipes.
Michigan

#5 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

I never use purchased blends but do my own thing. My favourites include millet, buckwheat, teff, corn, sweet potato, garfava, amaranth, sorghum, coconut and almond flours. Of course they have different properties. I often like to add flaxmeal to breads, pizza crusts and crackers for more fibre.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

I use sorghum a lot. I have a blend of two parts sorghum to one part brown rice, one part whie rice/tapioca that I use a lot.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009