18 replies to this topic

#1 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

I posted before that I was nauseous for like a month and we finally figured out it was my supplements.

I went off iron and felt a little better but I've still been having problems. My gut is so sensitive I am on a bland diet again and I've been off iron for a week.

After Chad posted that his Vitamin D had soy in it, I decided to do some checking. Turns out my vitamin D was made from soybean oil and I have very bad intolerance to soy. I had checked for gluten but not soy.

I took it for about a month!!!! It feels like when I first went gluten free and so many things bothered me. I wonder if soy causes damage to the villi. Anybody know?
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

I posted before that I was nauseous for like a month and we finally figured out it was my supplements.

I went off iron and felt a little better but I've still been having problems. My gut is so sensitive I am on a bland diet again and I've been off iron for a week.

After Chad posted that his Vitamin D had soy in it, I decided to do some checking. Turns out my vitamin D was made from soybean oil and I have very bad intolerance to soy. I had checked for gluten but not soy.

I took it for about a month!!!! It feels like when I first went gluten free and so many things bothered me. I wonder if soy causes damage to the villi. Anybody know?

Other things can, but I don't remember or recall reading about soy causing atrophy.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

Other things can, but I don't remember or recall reading about soy causing atrophy.

Good. Then it's just irritation. What a bummer. I was so overwhelmed with getting out of a long hospital stay and dealing with new illness and whatnot, I read the label and it said wheat free, gluten free and dairy free and I didn't read further. I can't believe I did that to myself.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

I read this in an article I bookmarked from Medscape. I believe the authors are gastroenterologists from Sweden.

http://www.medscape....rticle/405488_2

In part, it says:

"Although villous atrophy is not exclusive of celiac disease, it is considered a crucial finding. Other causes of blunted villi include tropical sprue, malnutrition, intolerance to cow's milk, soy protein intolerance, and infectious gastroenteritis. However, most of these conditions can be readily excluded on the basis of clinical history and laboratory data."

I am not sure it means that your recent reaction is because of villous blunting, but maybe just your intolerance to soy is flaring up??

Off the subject a bit, but I have to take D myself because of a major deficiency and I use NOW brands. No soy, gluten, dairy, etc. :)

Hope your nausea clears up pronto!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

Thanks Irishheart. I will get NOW brand.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

Thanks Irishheart. I will get NOW brand.

I pestered the company to make sure and they wrote me a nice email explaining their testing procedure. Chemist hubby insisted we test all my supps with glutentox kit--tests for less than 5ppm . (for whatever that is worth) All "good to go"!
We take no chances!! :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#7 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

I pestered the company to make sure and they wrote me a nice email explaining their testing procedure. Chemist hubby insisted we test all my supps with glutentox kit--tests for less than 5ppm . (for whatever that is worth) All "good to go"!
We take no chances!! :lol:

Your hubby is a keeper!

#8 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

We just did the gastrointestinal tract at Uni. When damage occurs it becomes difficult for the gut lining to keep things out of the blood that shouldn't be there. It might be you are reacting to the absorption of larger soy molecules than normal. It's also possible that you are reacting to the oestrogenic effects soy has. Have you had any problems with oestrogen recently? If your docs can balance your hormones you may get some relief and find that you can eat things you have been sensitive to (not gluten!). I am taking a herbal remedy that I can say is really helping me. I am behaving better this end of cycle than I have done in years - and I'm not wanting to hate/slander my estranged husband so something must be working! The heat/sweats I was feeling have disappeared and I am now able to eat cheese! Only been on it eight days (the remedy that is, not the cheese!)

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:49 AM

Your hubby is a keeper!

Oh boy, is he ever! :lol: and he makes the best gluten-free bread, too. :)

If I had not had him to keep me sane the last five years of this nightmare, I do not know what would have become of me.
He's my rock and my heartbeat.

Fortunately, he stuck by me when I became so inexplicably ill and incapacitated. Sadly, so many others on here report otherwise. What a shame. Who kicks someone when they are down--when they need them the most? :o Tragic.

I tell him every day how grateful I am that he never gave up on me. He thanks ME for persisting in getting answers and saving my own life. ;)

Hope you feel better soon! :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

We just did the gastrointestinal tract at Uni. When damage occurs it becomes difficult for the gut lining to keep things out of the blood that shouldn't be there. It might be you are reacting to the absorption of larger soy molecules than normal. It's also possible that you are reacting to the oestrogenic effects soy has.

Excellent point! Thanks for posting this. I think this is often overlooked when people wonder why they still do not feel so well, even after giving up gluten. As long as there is still damage, there will still be system-wide issues.

Had nearly the same conversation with my GI doc at the last check up. I keep asking him why I react so violently to medications and why I have so much muscle/tissue pain and he said....damage from celiac and gluten toxicity can cause all of that. Be patient. It will resolve. (yeah, okay, doc ---easy for you to say. I'm in pain hell. :rolleyes: )

This is also why I do not consume soy. Wreaks havoc with the hormone levels :angry: .

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#11 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

I have been feeling so sad about this. So upset that I did this to myself. I was just so overwhelmed with everything going on at the time.

I went off the iron and Vitamin D a week ago and it's getting a bit better but still not great. Still nauseous today and my appetite is low. GI doc said all my blood tests were good. Celiac titers good, so it's just a matter of wait and let it heal.

I did this 2 years ago healing from gluten and now this. So so sad. I did some crying today like I do everyday lately.

Slogging through the days feeling bad sucks. I was doing so well until mid September. Then my world crashed. My hormones went nuts. I ended up in the hospital and it's been one thing after another since then.

I'm getting off this roller coaster! I want to ride the kiddie rides now.

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

I'm getting off this roller coaster! I want to ride the kiddie rides now.

I hear you--- and me too, kiddo. Me too! <_< I am so tired of always feeling like crap and having SO many ramifications from long unDXed celiac. It seems endless but I never give up.

I just keep hanging on.

Best wishes to you. Get better soon.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 bigbird16

bigbird16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

Wishing you well! Hope you feel better soon!

(I've done this too. I got so excited by Udi's chocolate chip cookies at the store one day that they didn't have gluten or soy in them that I didn't see the big fat glaring word "butter." Body was quite unhappy.)
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

#14 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

Ditto Bigbird and irishheart. Hope you feel better soon sandsurfgirl! It's tough. Sounds like you are going through a low patch. Any time you need to talk, luckily you have all of us!!!

#15 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

Ditto Bigbird and irishheart. Hope you feel better soon sandsurfgirl! It's tough. Sounds like you are going through a low patch. Any time you need to talk, luckily you have all of us!!!

You guys are a lifeline! I was pretty down today. I went to the park with a bunch of moms and kids and that made me feel so much better. We homeschool, so that is extra challenge on top of everything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: