This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Experience With Nylabone Pet Products?

livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

Update: gave the puppy the nylabone and she went through it so fast I got her another. I'm sick now. There's been absolutely nothing else that I have been around that could cause the problem. Really kicking myself for taking the chance now. Totally not worth it :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Update: gave the puppy the nylabone and she went through it so fast I got her another. I'm sick now. There's been absolutely nothing else that I have been around that could cause the problem. Really kicking myself for taking the chance now. Totally not worth it :(

Get a Kong and shove peanut butter in there. I assume you aren't allergic to peanuts...

Skylark Collaborator

Skylark you clearly haven't used Nylabone products before or at least not the bone I am referring to. It is covered in a BBQ flavored coating which is what I was worried about so no, i dont have plans on chewing on my dogs bone. If you are truly such a sensitive celiac (as I am) then you should have some experience gettig sick from some pretty odd circumstances ad I would think you'd be a little more understanding. I've gotten extremely ill from mascara that had wheat starch in it! And no, i dont eat my macara purposefully but when you are a sensitive celiac you realize just how many things make their way into our digestive systems. So I'm trying to be as careful as I an be to prevent contamination because getting glutened SUCKS. Puppies lick EVERYTHING and my hands are so dry from constant washing that thu are literally cracking. I am vigilant but still can't see purposefully exposing myself to something that could make me sick if there are better alternatives. I'm nt sure why you would bother to post such a negative and judgmental response?!

I think you meant to address this to Gemini. :(

I'm sorry to hear that the Nylabones got you.

Huge apology to Skylark, I read the top of the post incorrectly and it was Gemini that I meant the response to. I apologize again.

squirmingitch Veteran

Be careful giving the knotted string rope toys. That stuff comes out in strings when they pull on it & while many dogs don't do that too much, some can really go at it & can get such a wad in their digestive system that they can't pass it. You know what happens then -- that is if you're lucky & informed enough to notice the symptoms --- you guessed it - SURGERY!

Just a heads up. :rolleyes:

The right type raw bones are good. The antlers are good. Stick with "real" things. Then you know they're gluten free for both you AND your dog!

Great advice sticking to raw natural products. I feel so discouraged right now. We are getting married in 7 months & I can't help but wonder how on earth I could have children? If they are lucky enough not to hve celiac I'm so afraid I would be terrified of getting glutened constantly!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Great advice sticking to raw natural products. I feel so discouraged right now. We are getting married in 7 months & I can't help but wonder how on earth I could have children? If they are lucky enough not to hve celiac I'm so afraid I would be terrified of getting glutened constantly!

Don't worry one bit. My son lives quite well without gluten at home (as does my husband). When you're out and you can control your contact (and Dad can handle it and the clean-up) let 'em have it.

It is amazingly simple. Worry about something else, like your flowers for the wedding, or your honeymoon :).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Good advice Pricklypear!

Well it's day two of being sick with my Nylabone glutening and I feel so discouraged I can't see my way out of it. I feel like I am always going to be sick from SOMETHING. I wrote back to the company explaining that because they said their product was ok I have it to my dog and in return I am now sick. I told them they should remove their gluten free labeling because their product is not in fact gluten free. This is the response I received this morning:

Hi Nikki

kareng Grand Master

Well it's day two of being sick with my Nylabone glutening and I feel so discouraged I can't see my way out of it. I feel like I am always going to be sick from SOMETHING. I wrote back to the company explaining that because they said their product was ok I have it to my dog and in return I am now sick. I told them they should remove their gluten free labeling because their product is not in fact gluten free. This is the response I received this morning:

I dont want a new toy for my dog! I want them to not boast that their product is "gluten free"! Isntthere anything at all that can be done about these labeling issues? It doesn't seem fair. If somethig contains peanuts they have to be very clear about stating it.

Because its meant for an animal, not a human, I'm not sure they have to label peanut, either. In the US there is no standard for what is gluten-free in human food. Not likely there is one for dog food. Usually, gluten-free in dog or cat food means they haven't put a worthless filler, called " gluten" in the dog food. Many times it's made from corn & who knows what else.

Skylark Collaborator

I dont want a new toy for my dog! I want them to not boast that their product is "gluten free"! Isntthere anything at all that can be done about these labeling issues? It doesn't seem fair. If somethig contains peanuts they have to be very clear about stating it.

It's different regulations, unfortunately. I'm really sorry to hear you're sick and you WILL feel better again, just hang in there.

I do think you have to be honest with yourself that you took a calculated risk by using them. The label did declare wheat starch so the gluten wasn't even hidden. Although I completely agree that putting "gluten-free" on the label is misleading and could harm critters with celiac, the company was very clear in their first response to your inquiry that the treats are only 99.9% gluten-free (1000 ppm gluten).

You need to trust your instincts, that something made from wheat is not going to be safe for you!

Cathey Apprentice

First off a dog should not have anything that is not digested (rawhide, nylabone, marrow bone). We do well with the Kong (red rubber) types.

Our dog has a special diet, 6 or so years ago he had Helicobacter went through an endoscopy, 30 days of Z-Pac and several thousands of dollars. He only eats Sweet Potato and Venison dry food and vegetable or sweet potato and venison cookies. He gets raw vegetable occasionally as I'm preparing dinner. It works for us.

Please be careful with any of those bones, they don't digest them and some can splinter and cause internal bleeding or worse yet surgery to remove enlarged pieces.

Oh and I still have to be careful with the fish tank and pond, both foods have gluten.

psawyer Proficient

First off a dog should not have anything that is not digested (rawhide, nylabone, marrow bone). We do well with the Kong (red rubber) types.

Your dog can digest the red rubber Kong? Wow!

Dogs have an instinctive urge to chew. Rawhide is non-nutritive, but is usually passed through into the stool. Just like dietary fiber in our own diets.

Marrow bones provide a durable chew which is not ingested. The dog will spend a lot of time extracting the digestible and nutritive marrow from inside the bone.

Nylabone make several different chews for dogs.

Nylabone Durable chews are made of flavored nylon, and are suitable for aggressive chewers.

Nylabone Flexible chews are notably softer, but are still non-nutritive soft plastic.

Nylabone Edibles are the products that this topic started talking about. As the name implies, they are intended to be ingested over a period of time while chewing.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Nylabone, but I do own a retail store where their products are sold.

Celtic Queen Explorer
As far as I'm aware, dogs don't get celiac to begin with. They arguably shouldn't be eating grains in the first place. The only reason to label animal food gluten-free is for the owner.

I don't know if dogs can get Celiac or not, but there's a whole lot of research out there now suggesting a link between corn and other fillers used in dog and cat foods and the high incidence of cancer, diabetes, kidney failure, etc. in dogs and cats now. I had to switch my cat to a 100% meat-based diet because he developed kidney failure. Part of the reason was that cats' digestive systems weren't designed to eat corn and grains. But it's a lot cheaper to make a dog food with a corn filler than one that is 100% meat.

cap6 Enthusiast

All four of our dogs are on grain free mainly because we feel it is healthier - dogs don't need grain. I started researching dog foods when my little Cavalier was very allergic to corn. Grain free is healthier and safer for me cause I like doggie kisses. :)

Korwyn Explorer

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! :) Don't stress yourself out about it. If your spouse is willing to have a gluten-free house from the onset you'll do just fine. Out grandkids do just peachy without gluten. It isn't allowed in our home. We make sure we have gluten-free/Soy free cookies, snacks, crackers, cereal, etc.

So, dogs can get celiac and they are a creature that really shouldn't eat grains in the first place. Does that extend to humans? Are we not really supposed to be eating grains?

After I read Gary Taube's book Good Calories, Bad Calories that question got answered as far as I was concerned. It matched up with my own personal bio-response over the year prior to my reading it that I decided my body at least can survive just fine without grains. And it does quite happily.

maximoo Enthusiast

Go with deer antlers & raw meaty bones .(frozen for additional chewing time) Natural is best & they last long. Do the kongs too for variety. Knotted rope is like floss for dogs so those are good too.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I got my little dog a new chew yesterday so I can finally post back with the kind we use. It is Hartz 'Chew and Clean'. They last a long time and no gluten issues with them.

squirmingitch Veteran

Dogs are allergic to wheat, corn & soy & ESPECIALLY the GLUTENS. Don't roll your eyes. I used to think that was hooey too! But I learned it is true. Too bad I had to learn on my dog. I don't know if they get celiac or not but they DO have problems related to consumption of wheat, corn & soy. You know those allergy symptoms so many people complain their dogs have? Feed a dog a gluten free diet & watch those allergies go away. You know those stomach, digestive, health problems people say their dogs have? Same thing. Feed them gluten free & watch those things go away.

cap6 Enthusiast

Dogs are allergic to wheat, corn & soy & ESPECIALLY the GLUTENS. Don't roll your eyes. I used to think that was hooey too! But I learned it is true. Too bad I had to learn on my dog. I don't know if they get celiac or not but they DO have problems related to consumption of wheat, corn & soy. You know those allergy symptoms so many people complain their dogs have? Feed a dog a gluten free diet & watch those allergies go away. You know those stomach, digestive, health problems people say their dogs have? Same thing. Feed them gluten free & watch those things go away.

when we switched to grain free our old girl (16) and one of the little ones lost their flaky skin and the big girl stopped with her smelly gas.

Archived