12 replies to this topic

#1 ciamarie

ciamarie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

Someone asked for a recipe without any gums, and this could probably be adapted to use some other fruit besides bananas, also? I made it last Friday, came out great! I based it on a recipe in my 30 year old Fanny Farmer cookbook, which is my favorite. I used 2 bananas instead of 3, and left out the nuts just because I'm avoiding most nuts at the moment.

Banana nut bread

3 ripe bananas, well mashed
2 eggs, well beaten
2 cups flour [I used 1 cup white rice, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/4 cup each of tapioca and potato starch]
3/4 cup sugar [I used 1/2 cup granulated cane and 1/4 cup light brown C&H sugar]
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder [I added this from the original, since it's gluten-free flours]
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix everything together well, I mixed the wet & dry ingredients separately, then added the wet to the dry. It's a moderately stiff dough. Pour into a buttered loaf pan, bake for 1 hour at 350. Adjust for your oven, I baked it for about 55 minutes. Remove from pan on to a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

I'm positively drooling, ciamarie!!!
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

I make this all the time and it is great. I use my sorghum flour mix (with brown and white rice) with it and add cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Thank you!!! :D It was me who asked. I've got some frozen mango pulp going into the refrigerator tonight to try this out ASAP.

Thanks again. :D
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#5 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Thank you!!! :D It was me who asked. I've got some frozen mango pulp going into the refrigerator tonight to try this out ASAP.
Thanks again. :D

When I mentioned possibly using other fruits, I had maybe apple or pear in mind. I haven't had a mango in years, though. Please reply back and let us know how it is! And you're welcome. :)

Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

When I mentioned possibly using other fruits, I had maybe apple or pear in mind. I haven't had a mango in years, though. Please reply back and let us know how it is! And you're welcome. :)

I was also thinking of something with a little more "body"?? than mango". It's that nice stickiness of the banana I think that holds it together so nicely :) without the gum.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

Yum! Looks great--I normally make my banana bread with the Gluten Free pantry Muffin Mix but will keep and try this too.

Shroomie--I always add cinnamon and nutmeg to my banana bread. Love it that way!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:15 AM

I make this all the time and it is great. I use my sorghum flour mix (with brown and white rice) with it and add cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg.

How much sorghum/brown/white rice do you use? Do you also mix potato starch or tapioca?
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

How much sorghum/brown/white rice do you use? Do you also mix potato starch or tapioca?

Looking at my blends (I have two, one for heavier, one for lighter) the ratios for sorghum, brown rice and tapioca are 1-1/2 / 1/ 1/2 and 1 / 1 / 1 respectively.
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#10 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

"When I mentioned possibly using other fruits, I had maybe apple or pear in mind. I haven't had a mango in years, though. Please reply back and let us know how it is! And you're welcome."

Thanks for your feedback, Marie & Mushroom. I think the mango might work because I googled recipes for mango bread today and they look pretty much the same as regular quick breads, but I could be really wrong. I'm not sure how much fruit pectin mango has compared to bananas or apples. Anyway, the mango is defrosted, I'll make it this weekend and report back. :D
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#11 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Looking at my blends (I have two, one for heavier, one for lighter) the ratios for sorghum, brown rice and tapioca are 1-1/2 / 1/ 1/2 and 1 / 1 / 1 respectively.

Thank you! I will try that. It looks good!
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#12 pain*in*my*gut

pain*in*my*gut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

Someone asked for a recipe without any gums, and this could probably be adapted to use some other fruit besides bananas, also? I made it last Friday, came out great! I based it on a recipe in my 30 year old Fanny Farmer cookbook, which is my favorite. I used 2 bananas instead of 3, and left out the nuts just because I'm avoiding most nuts at the moment.

Banana nut bread

3 ripe bananas, well mashed
2 eggs, well beaten
2 cups flour [I used 1 cup white rice, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/4 cup each of tapioca and potato starch]
3/4 cup sugar [I used 1/2 cup granulated cane and 1/4 cup light brown C&H sugar]
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder [I added this from the original, since it's gluten-free flours]
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix everything together well, I mixed the wet & dry ingredients separately, then added the wet to the dry. It's a moderately stiff dough. Pour into a buttered loaf pan, bake for 1 hour at 350. Adjust for your oven, I baked it for about 55 minutes. Remove from pan on to a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!

I am soooo going to try this!!! :P
Celiac DX 9/2011 ~ Gluten free ever since
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 10/2011
Premature Ovarian Failure 11/2010
Rheumatoid Arthritis 10/2011
Sjogren's Disease 10/2011

"The best way out is always through" ~Robert Frost

#13 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

I made the bread this morning substituting mango pulp and half a chopped apple for the mashed banana. I also added 1/2 cup sunflower oil to the wet mixture. My only remaining loaf pan is 8", so I poured some of the batter in two ramekins and baked them along with the bread.

The ramekins were cooked in less than 30 minutes and cooled quickly, so by the time the loaf was done, we were able to have delicious warm bread for breakfast! :D (They had nice eye appeal too, I tossed some dried cherries on top of them before baking.)

I'll be using this recipe often. DP loved it, noting that it didn't really taste like mangos.

My intentions were to make banana bread this morning and make a smoothie out of the mango. I picked up 4 dark skinned bananas at the fruit market on Friday (they charged me 9 cents for them). I peeled the first banana and it was perfect fruit for eating, but not overripe at all.

So I went with plan B (my original plan A) after eating the banana. Thanks again for the recipe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: