Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Banana Bread Recipe

13 posts in this topic

Someone asked for a recipe without any gums, and this could probably be adapted to use some other fruit besides bananas, also? I made it last Friday, came out great! I based it on a recipe in my 30 year old Fanny Farmer cookbook, which is my favorite. I used 2 bananas instead of 3, and left out the nuts just because I'm avoiding most nuts at the moment.

Banana nut bread

3 ripe bananas, well mashed

2 eggs, well beaten

2 cups flour [i used 1 cup white rice, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/4 cup each of tapioca and potato starch]

3/4 cup sugar [i used 1/2 cup granulated cane and 1/4 cup light brown C&H sugar]

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder [i added this from the original, since it's gluten-free flours]

1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix everything together well, I mixed the wet & dry ingredients separately, then added the wet to the dry. It's a moderately stiff dough. Pour into a buttered loaf pan, bake for 1 hour at 350. Adjust for your oven, I baked it for about 55 minutes. Remove from pan on to a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!

Ads by Google:

I'm positively drooling, ciamarie!!!

I make this all the time and it is great. I use my sorghum flour mix (with brown and white rice) with it and add cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg.

Thank you!!! :D It was me who asked. I've got some frozen mango pulp going into the refrigerator tonight to try this out ASAP.

Thanks again. :D

Thank you!!! :D It was me who asked. I've got some frozen mango pulp going into the refrigerator tonight to try this out ASAP.

Thanks again. :D

When I mentioned possibly using other fruits, I had maybe apple or pear in mind. I haven't had a mango in years, though. Please reply back and let us know how it is! And you're welcome. :)

When I mentioned possibly using other fruits, I had maybe apple or pear in mind. I haven't had a mango in years, though. Please reply back and let us know how it is! And you're welcome. :)

I was also thinking of something with a little more "body"?? than mango". It's that nice stickiness of the banana I think that holds it together so nicely :) without the gum.

Yum! Looks great--I normally make my banana bread with the Gluten Free pantry Muffin Mix but will keep and try this too.

Shroomie--I always add cinnamon and nutmeg to my banana bread. Love it that way!

I make this all the time and it is great. I use my sorghum flour mix (with brown and white rice) with it and add cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg.

How much sorghum/brown/white rice do you use? Do you also mix potato starch or tapioca?

How much sorghum/brown/white rice do you use? Do you also mix potato starch or tapioca?

Looking at my blends (I have two, one for heavier, one for lighter) the ratios for sorghum, brown rice and tapioca are 1-1/2 / 1/ 1/2 and 1 / 1 / 1 respectively.

"When I mentioned possibly using other fruits, I had maybe apple or pear in mind. I haven't had a mango in years, though. Please reply back and let us know how it is! And you're welcome."

Thanks for your feedback, Marie & Mushroom. I think the mango might work because I googled recipes for mango bread today and they look pretty much the same as regular quick breads, but I could be really wrong. I'm not sure how much fruit pectin mango has compared to bananas or apples. Anyway, the mango is defrosted, I'll make it this weekend and report back. :D

Looking at my blends (I have two, one for heavier, one for lighter) the ratios for sorghum, brown rice and tapioca are 1-1/2 / 1/ 1/2 and 1 / 1 / 1 respectively.

Thank you! I will try that. It looks good!

Someone asked for a recipe without any gums, and this could probably be adapted to use some other fruit besides bananas, also? I made it last Friday, came out great! I based it on a recipe in my 30 year old Fanny Farmer cookbook, which is my favorite. I used 2 bananas instead of 3, and left out the nuts just because I'm avoiding most nuts at the moment.

Banana nut bread

3 ripe bananas, well mashed

2 eggs, well beaten

2 cups flour [i used 1 cup white rice, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/4 cup each of tapioca and potato starch]

3/4 cup sugar [i used 1/2 cup granulated cane and 1/4 cup light brown C&H sugar]

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder [i added this from the original, since it's gluten-free flours]

1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix everything together well, I mixed the wet & dry ingredients separately, then added the wet to the dry. It's a moderately stiff dough. Pour into a buttered loaf pan, bake for 1 hour at 350. Adjust for your oven, I baked it for about 55 minutes. Remove from pan on to a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!

I am soooo going to try this!!! :P

I made the bread this morning substituting mango pulp and half a chopped apple for the mashed banana. I also added 1/2 cup sunflower oil to the wet mixture. My only remaining loaf pan is 8", so I poured some of the batter in two ramekins and baked them along with the bread.

The ramekins were cooked in less than 30 minutes and cooled quickly, so by the time the loaf was done, we were able to have delicious warm bread for breakfast! :D (They had nice eye appeal too, I tossed some dried cherries on top of them before baking.)

I'll be using this recipe often. DP loved it, noting that it didn't really taste like mangos.

My intentions were to make banana bread this morning and make a smoothie out of the mango. I picked up 4 dark skinned bananas at the fruit market on Friday (they charged me 9 cents for them). I peeled the first banana and it was perfect fruit for eating, but not overripe at all.

So I went with plan B (my original plan A) after eating the banana. Thanks again for the recipe.