26 replies to this topic

#16 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:24 AM

well you're the first person i've heard from that also has morning episodes.

That's when I get my worst GI symptoms too. Sometimes very early in the morning. For me it can be anything I had the day before. I would eliminate almost everything to figure it out. For a few days you can go without toothpaste, soap, laundry detergent etc. If that doesn't help, then you know it's your food. Start using that stuff again and start eliminating food things etc. Elimination diets are the only way I have managed to do it. It is hard to count on other people's reactions unless you are very familiar with their reactions and know that theirs are like yours. We are all individual in our levels of sensitivity and just because someone else reacts to something or doesn't gives us no assurance as to what we will react to. This is stated in the recent FDA report analyzing research of gluten exposure. http://www.fda.gov/d...t/UCM264152.pdf

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 rana

rana

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

Thank you both for your input... I do believe stress is playing a role, but I also believe gluten must still be getting in somewhere. I have been doing the swapping in and out of things (i went two days without using traditional toothpaste don't tell!) and no definitive results. My lasest guess is the On The Border corn chips I've been eating, I usually eat them at night, it was my last hope of being able to eat easy, ready made, food and i was desperate to hold onto them. So no more chips for a while, maybe forever if that's proving to be it.

Steph, I see you on a lot of posts and have come to trust your opinion as you seem like one of the few people on here who really is pretty sensitive. Thank you for being a helpful presence on this site. Is there any kind of peanut butter you can use? I would love to have peanut butter back but am too scared to try any. Also, is there a source you know of for safe nuts? I have tried nu tson line but became suspiscious of their almond flour and stopped (i'm not sure if its the flour or not, further testing needed, but don't want to test until i am truly gluten free for several weeks, which i'm close to being able to do but not there yet). Thanks again!

#18 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:30 AM

Steph, I see you on a lot of posts and have come to trust your opinion as you seem like one of the few people on here who really is pretty sensitive. Thank you for being a helpful presence on this site.

Thank you. (I think LOL)

Also, is there a source you know of for safe nuts?

I'm sorry, but no. I'm trialing almonds from Anderson Almonds currently, but don't have a definitive answer yet. They are shelled and I really hope they work. I do know someone else who is very sensitive who recommended them, which I why I am trying them.

In general nuts work better when you shell them yourself. That worked for me for some time until I started noticing reactions to lower levels. It's time consuming though.

I have noticed that nutsonline carry gluten containing products in addition to their nuts. anuts was a gluten free facility last I checked and they are the ones from which I used to get my nuts in shell.

I WAS ASKED MY OPINION AS A SUPER SENSITIVE
FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT SUPER SENSITIVE, NUTS ARE NATURALLY GLUTEN FREE

#19 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hi Rana, I just had a look at your symptoms list again and can say I've recently been having terrible sweating periods in the mornings (feeling much hotter than it actually was) and also pooling in the stomach (with bloating). It doesn't say on your profile if you are a lady or gentleman. For my part I know that I was experiencing quite an imbalance of hormones and there was a lot of pooling of food/blood in my lower belly during these episodes. With the herbs I'm taking that is getting quite a lot better. How is your digestion overall? Do you void your bowels every day? Is there any sign of constipation/dehydration?

#20 rana

rana

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

Hi Caroline, thanks for taking the time to try and help me! I am a lady (or at least a female hehe), so I suppose hormones could be playing a role. I am not sure if I've ever experienced "pooling" specifically, but I defintely, absolutely, experience the good ol' stomach bloat. My stomach is pretty much permanently bloated all the time right now with all this stuff going on and gets worse when I get glutened. If only I could wear sweat pants to work on those days ;). My digestion seems great otherwise, I can tolerate dairy like a champ (i took a long break from it while healing but am back because i couldn't help myself), and I can tolerate fruits / veggies I couldn't tolerate when first going gluten free. I do seem to void my bowels most days which I attribute to my green smoothie intake, otherwise I think I would have to deal with constipation pretty regularly (did you like my wording there? is that a pun!?). I try to drink plenty of water being in Colorado so I'm usually pretty good about that, but by no means perfect.

What herbs are you taking and which brands? and speaking of, Steph can I pick your brain one more time and ask if there are any brands of supplements you have found to be safe? I hate to not be taking any but I'm just too terrified right now and have gotten horribly ill off several brands that say "gluten free" right on the label. I really seem to be highly sensitive right now. Does that ever wear off for some people?

I still seem to be having some hot episodes here and there (i'm only 29 so no menopause yet!) but they have come down drastically with the absence of those corn chips. Sigh... I miss them. Now I'm wondering if its CC or a corn intolerance and hoping nothing else pops up to bother me, I am so ready to feel "normal". Or at least my version of it.

#21 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

Steph can I pick your brain one more time and ask if there are any brands of supplements you have found to be safe?

I made a health breakthrough when I dropped all vitamins and supplements. Counter intuitive, isn't it?

I MENTION THIS REACTION AS A SUPER SENSITIVE CELIAC. SORRY TO BE IN THE REGULAR SECTION, BUT I WAS SPECIFICALLY ASKED A QUESTION. PLEASE DISREGARD IF YOU AREN'T A SUPER SENSITIVE CELIAC.

I try hard to eat a balanced diet and get everything I need through food.

I did add back an iodine supplement, Thyadine,and Life Extension Vitamin D3, 2,000 IU, in the winter. I diluted it since I didn't want to take that much. I only need a drop a day of each. That cuts down the effect of possible cc.

#22 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:48 AM

I made a health breakthrough when I dropped all vitamins and supplements. Counter intuitive, isn't it?

I MENTION THIS REACTION AS A SUPER SENSITIVE CELIAC. SORRY TO BE IN THE REGULAR SECTION, BUT I WAS SPECIFICALLY ASKED A QUESTION. PLEASE DISREGARD IF YOU AREN'T A SUPER SENSITIVE CELIAC.

I try hard to eat a balanced diet and get everything I need through food.

I did add back an iodine supplement, Thyadine,and Life Extension Vitamin D3, 2,000 IU, in the winter. I diluted it since I didn't want to take that much. I only need a drop a day of each. That cuts down the effect of possible cc.

It is so interesting that you should say this. Though I'm on a herbal prescription i completely dropped my usual vits/minerals and the wierd thing is that I really don't feel that i need them at all now. I don't get the muscle aches, itching, D and other things that used to bother me so I suppose am very lucky! Like you the vits seemed to be making things worse not better!

#23 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:07 AM

Hi Caroline, thanks for taking the time to try and help me! I am a lady (or at least a female hehe), so I suppose hormones could be playing a role. I am not sure if I've ever experienced "pooling" specifically, but I defintely, absolutely, experience the good ol' stomach bloat. My stomach is pretty much permanently bloated all the time right now with all this stuff going on and gets worse when I get glutened. If only I could wear sweat pants to work on those days ;). My digestion seems great otherwise, I can tolerate dairy like a champ (i took a long break from it while healing but am back because i couldn't help myself), and I can tolerate fruits / veggies I couldn't tolerate when first going gluten free. I do seem to void my bowels most days which I attribute to my green smoothie intake, otherwise I think I would have to deal with constipation pretty regularly (did you like my wording there? is that a pun!?). I try to drink plenty of water being in Colorado so I'm usually pretty good about that, but by no means perfect.

What herbs are you taking and which brands? and speaking of, Steph can I pick your brain one more time and ask if there are any brands of supplements you have found to be safe? I hate to not be taking any but I'm just too terrified right now and have gotten horribly ill off several brands that say "gluten free" right on the label. I really seem to be highly sensitive right now. Does that ever wear off for some people?

I still seem to be having some hot episodes here and there (i'm only 29 so no menopause yet!) but they have come down drastically with the absence of those corn chips. Sigh... I miss them. Now I'm wondering if its CC or a corn intolerance and hoping nothing else pops up to bother me, I am so ready to feel "normal". Or at least my version of it.

Hey Rana
It's great that we can all compare notes on our symptoms and hopefully find solutions. I'm on a proper herbal prescription made for me, so not necessarily the right herbs for you. Amongst them are: Schizandra Chinesis, Rosemary, Dong Quai, Borage, Burdock, Siberian Ginseng, Oregon Grape Root. To tell you the truth I feel better than I have done in ages digestion wise but some of the symptoms i've been having since i was a teen have cropped up (unrelated to gluten)... left arm pain, left lung congestion (sounds like angina but it isn't) - might be from all the cheese I've decided I'm going to eat :-). I'm hoping that they will start to go eventually too. Overall the effects have been amazing... more energy, clearer head, sleeping like a log (and i mean like a peice of wood, out for the count!!!), regular voiding of bowels (I did love your pun btw!). I had heat issues since my twenties and am only 40 now but found after children it was much worse... boy you are making me feel OLD!
The other great thing is that I'm hardly reacting to things anymore. I thought i was reacting to the food I ate... but no, it was basically that when I ate my liver was filled with congested blood (TCM term i.e. full of backed up hormones, compounds it was trying to excrete, cholesterol etc) and when i ate my liver just got overwhelmed and started dumping bilirubin in to my blood stream (hence the itching). This is what i had when I was pregnant (cholestasis). With the bitters in this mix my bile flow is much better. Cholesterol and hormones levels in my system are normalising. If you have a registered herbalist near you try going to see them but as Yolo on here says be very careful that they are using NON GRAIN alcohol - it would need to be something like beet (sugar beet here in the UK)... large companies like Vogel use this method.

#24 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:23 AM

i completely dropped my usual vits/minerals and the wierd thing is that I really don't feel that i need them at all now. I don't get the muscle aches, itching, D and other things that used to bother me so I suppose am very lucky! Like you the vits seemed to be making things worse not better!

There's been some press lately about how vitamins aren't regulated very well. That might have something to do with it.

About an earlier remark you made: I definitely notice a hormonal effect on my gluten reactions. They have always seemed worse when I am having my period. I noticed this even before I had heard of gluten.

#25 CR5442

CR5442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:49 AM

There's been some press lately about how vitamins aren't regulated very well. That might have something to do with it.

About an earlier remark you made: I definitely notice a hormonal effect on my gluten reactions. They have always seemed worse when I am having my period. I noticed this even before I had heard of gluten.

Yes, re the hormones. I have always suspected something wierd. I'm at the end of the month now and whilst it is definitely better, some things are still there faintly in the background. However, I used to be awful in the run up to my period. I knew things were really bad when it seemed like i had pmt for about 85% of the month!

#26 rana

rana

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

Funny, I find myself at times being needlessly mean or rude to my boyfriend (I'm typically a very kind and even keeled person!) and wondering if its gluten or that time of the month haha. Its usually one or the other. Poor guy... And my periods are WAY WORSE than they ever were in accordance with my gluten issues, there must be some relation going on.

I agree with the stance on supplements, I believe in them (I believe the earth provided us with everything we need, I got a really bad staph infection once, was prescribed tons of antibiotics, which I believe led to my gluten intolerance, so frustrating but a whole 'nother topic, and nothing worked. You know what did work? GARLIC! well, stabilized allicin. a combo of modern medicine and naturopathy at its best... sorry tangent) but realized they were making me sick. You're right, the regulations just aren't in place for supplements (not that any regulations for regular food are working in keeping me safe from gluten either at this point). I'm just way too sensitive. Its a shame, I know herbs are a powerful health tool. I would like to find a vit D supplement, though, so i might try that brand, thank you. Nice disclaimer, by the way, I'm sure its frustrating when things are misconstrued, the problem with this black and white text way of communication. I find it frustrating when people on this site don't realize that people just might be more sensitive than them. And it seems everyone's defintion of sensitive is different. I got minorely glutened yesterday when I ate a peppermint labled gluten free with no questionable ingredients (I knew better but still did it). If its processed, I just can't do it. A healthier way to live anyway I suppose! Gotta play the glad game :)

#27 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:06 AM

I find it frustrating when people on this site don't realize that people just might be more sensitive than them.

Me too.

And it seems everyone's defintion of sensitive is different

So true!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: