Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Black Pepper Substitute

11 posts in this topic

Hi, everybody. Due to multiple food intolerances, cooking from scratch is a must for me. So, I add my own spices. I'm really having trouble finding something to substitute for black pepper since it's one of the things I cannot have.

Does anyone have a suggestion about something I could use in place of pepper? (I already use onion and garlic.) Cannot use peppers in any form (green, red, hot, chili, peppercorns.... none of it)

Thanks for your ideas.

Ads by Google:

Hi, everybody. Due to multiple food intolerances, cooking from scratch is a must for me. So, I add my own spices. I'm really having trouble finding something to substitute for black pepper since it's one of the things I cannot have.

Does anyone have a suggestion about something I could use in place of pepper? (I already use onion and garlic.) Cannot use peppers in any form (green, red, hot, chili, peppercorns.... none of it)

Thanks for your ideas.

i dont have ideas for substitutes, BUT im curious how exactly they identified your igg allergy to black pepper... cause i have read that black pepper can be bothersome to some because it has a mold on it, but that if you grind it fresh it may be tolerable.. but i really dont know anything about Igg allergy testing & identification, etc...

just thought id share that

I would just leave the pepper out. You probably won't notice it unless it is something that is normally very peppery.

I guess I didn't do a good job of communicating. I'm looking for "heat". Spicy heat. In my part of the country, salsa is just as much as condiment as ketchup. I'm afraid there isn't much I can do about missing it. :(

I guess I didn't do a good job of communicating. I'm looking for "heat". Spicy heat. In my part of the country, salsa is just as much as condiment as ketchup. I'm afraid there isn't much I can do about missing it. :(

Fresh ginger has nice heat. I also use dried chiles and grind them and use as a seasoning (i.e. in my salsas, sauces). Garlic is pungent but mellow when roasted.

i dont have ideas for substitutes, BUT im curious how exactly they identified your igg allergy to black pepper... cause i have read that black pepper can be bothersome to some because it has a mold on it, but that if you grind it fresh it may be tolerable.. but i really dont know anything about Igg allergy testing & identification, etc...

just thought id share that

CassP,

I couldn't find any docs where I lived that would do anything other than tell me to take more pills. I wanted to get to the REASON that I was having D multiple times a day, making life miserable. So, I ordered a test kit called YorkTest. I didn't know the test would go back to the UK for processing, but it did. Of course, I had to pay for it out of pocket, but it was worth it in the long run.

How about horseradish root? i like the ginger idea as well.

I haven't tried this myself because I don't like black pepper. I have been told that papaya seeds are a good substitute.

Yes, I've also read that ginger root apparently has some heat to it, while the ground one does not. I think perhaps mustard might provide some heat as well, especially the Chinese mustard, as I've read it is the hottest. The horseradish idea is another one to try.

Although cumin and turmeric aren't really hot, they are among the kinds of spices you'll find in curries, so perhaps these might help bring the flavor closer to what you're looking for, when combined with the hot spices mentioned in this thread.

Wasabi powder? It's horseradish, but distinct.

Dang sure unstops my nose.

Thanks, new friends. I really appreciate your responses. Great ideas!!! I'm so glad to have found this site and this forum. :D