10 replies to this topic

#1 missmellie

missmellie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

Hi, everybody. Due to multiple food intolerances, cooking from scratch is a must for me. So, I add my own spices. I'm really having trouble finding something to substitute for black pepper since it's one of the things I cannot have.

Does anyone have a suggestion about something I could use in place of pepper? (I already use onion and garlic.) Cannot use peppers in any form (green, red, hot, chili, peppercorns.... none of it)

Thanks for your ideas.

Miss Mellie

Aug. 2010 IgA+ Gliadin; IgA+ Casein; IgA+ Egg; IgA+ Soy.
Sept. 2010 IgG+ for cow's milk, peach, yeast, chili pepper, egg white & yolk, lentil, soy, cola nut, coriander/cumin/dill, nutmeg/peppercorn, sesame seed, turkey, and wheat

Hypothyroidism, arthritis, GERD, overweight, chronic sleeping issues

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cassP

cassP

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hi, everybody. Due to multiple food intolerances, cooking from scratch is a must for me. So, I add my own spices. I'm really having trouble finding something to substitute for black pepper since it's one of the things I cannot have.

Does anyone have a suggestion about something I could use in place of pepper? (I already use onion and garlic.) Cannot use peppers in any form (green, red, hot, chili, peppercorns.... none of it)

Thanks for your ideas.

i dont have ideas for substitutes, BUT im curious how exactly they identified your igg allergy to black pepper... cause i have read that black pepper can be bothersome to some because it has a mold on it, but that if you grind it fresh it may be tolerable.. but i really dont know anything about Igg allergy testing & identification, etc...
just thought id share that
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:36 AM

I would just leave the pepper out. You probably won't notice it unless it is something that is normally very peppery.

#4 missmellie

missmellie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:55 AM

I guess I didn't do a good job of communicating. I'm looking for "heat". Spicy heat. In my part of the country, salsa is just as much as condiment as ketchup. I'm afraid there isn't much I can do about missing it. :(

Miss Mellie

Sept. 2010 IgG+ for cow's milk, peach, yeast, chili pepper, egg white & yolk, lentil, soy, cola nut, coriander/cumin/dill, nutmeg/peppercorn, sesame seed, turkey, and wheat

#5 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

I guess I didn't do a good job of communicating. I'm looking for "heat". Spicy heat. In my part of the country, salsa is just as much as condiment as ketchup. I'm afraid there isn't much I can do about missing it. :(

Fresh ginger has nice heat. I also use dried chiles and grind them and use as a seasoning (i.e. in my salsas, sauces). Garlic is pungent but mellow when roasted.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 missmellie

missmellie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

i dont have ideas for substitutes, BUT im curious how exactly they identified your igg allergy to black pepper... cause i have read that black pepper can be bothersome to some because it has a mold on it, but that if you grind it fresh it may be tolerable.. but i really dont know anything about Igg allergy testing & identification, etc...
just thought id share that

CassP,

I couldn't find any docs where I lived that would do anything other than tell me to take more pills. I wanted to get to the REASON that I was having D multiple times a day, making life miserable. So, I ordered a test kit called YorkTest. I didn't know the test would go back to the UK for processing, but it did. Of course, I had to pay for it out of pocket, but it was worth it in the long run.

Miss Mellie

#7 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

How about horseradish root? i like the ginger idea as well.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#8 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:31 AM

I haven't tried this myself because I don't like black pepper. I have been told that papaya seeds are a good substitute.

#9 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:20 AM

Yes, I've also read that ginger root apparently has some heat to it, while the ground one does not. I think perhaps mustard might provide some heat as well, especially the Chinese mustard, as I've read it is the hottest. The horseradish idea is another one to try.

Although cumin and turmeric aren't really hot, they are among the kinds of spices you'll find in curries, so perhaps these might help bring the flavor closer to what you're looking for, when combined with the hot spices mentioned in this thread.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#10 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:27 AM

Wasabi powder? It's horseradish, but distinct.

Dang sure unstops my nose.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#11 missmellie

missmellie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:48 AM

Thanks, new friends. I really appreciate your responses. Great ideas!!! I'm so glad to have found this site and this forum. :D

Miss Mellie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: