23 replies to this topic

#16 bumblebee_carnival

bumblebee_carnival

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

I recently listened to the Wheat Belly book on audible. It's really great. Just having all the facts laid out about how wheat had been so genetically modified from it's original state should be enough to scare off most people from wheat. The author has a blog that he is really involved in, too. Since cutting out gluten and getting some of my issues under control, I really have to stop myself from telling everyone about it. Even though no one actually needs gluten, as we know here, people are pretty attached to it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:24 PM

I've been experiencing chronic pain for almost 2 years. And in the beginning when my pain was still at a 5 on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst), I would ignore advice from my doctors. When the pain got to be at a 10 (or off the charts) I was willing to let go. It wasn't until I really had no choice that I saw what my doctors had been trying to tell me all along. Thankfully, you are not like me (you're smarter!). But maybe your husband is. The change I experienced in my body put me through a grieving process. Denial is the first stage of grief and in my opinion, the hardest to get through. I am so much more at peace now with my condition (ok some day still are bad) but I still think I could not have made the major life style changes had I not been forced to do so.

We have had it planted in our heads that whole grains are healthy, eat whole wheat....after a lifetime of these messages it is hard to think that wheat can actually be causing our problem. I am glad you decided to try a gluten-free diet. I think you are correct, my husband is still very much in denial for himself.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#18 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:28 PM

Before I was diagnosed with Celiacs I had no clue how much food affects all different parts of our bodies, not just our weight. I was a typical ignorant American. Now I know more about gluten and GMOs and the history of food; more than many doctors. So it seems so obvious to me. And you would think that information would be absorbed by our family. But no! They let it go in one ear and out the other. They don't care and can't believe that could be their problem.

My husband tested positive for celiac disease and still refuses to go gluten free. Huh? His brother and aunt have it. He has seen me and my daughter live and heal gluten free. He knows that other auto immune diseases and even cancer can result from untreated celiac disease. He totally believes and supports my gluten-free lifestyle. But his aches and pains, issues, absolutely can not be attributed to gluten - such a twerp! <_< Want to bash him in the head if I think about it hard enough. :P But I don't - I let him gripe about his problems and I suggest he keep an eye on it. That is it. He is a big boy and knows what he needs to do. Me nagging him won't change a thing in a positive direction.

This is another unfortunate side effect of Celiac Disease - idiot family members! :lol:

Really? Wow! That has to be rather difficult to deal with. I really hope your husband comes around one day. And I suppose he won't even read about it? THe only thing my husband reads is science fiction or news headlines but anything to help his mind of body, short of crossword puzzles, forget it. He lets the doc continually write out prescriptions for him.

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#19 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

I recently listened to the Wheat Belly book on audible. It's really great. Just having all the facts laid out about how wheat had been so genetically modified from it's original state should be enough to scare off most people from wheat. The author has a blog that he is really involved in, too. Since cutting out gluten and getting some of my issues under control, I really have to stop myself from telling everyone about it. Even though no one actually needs gluten, as we know here, people are pretty attached to it.

Could you post the link to the blog?

#20 Richie1

Richie1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

Great article and makes a lot of sense to my reaction to gluten free diet ....No more cravings for sweet stuff or overeating all the time and i have lost 14lbs and feel great....Wish i had found out years ago .....

#21 bumblebee_carnival

bumblebee_carnival

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:31 AM

Could you post the link to the blog?

Sure!

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

He's got a great post up today about the changes that wheat has gone through over the centuries.

#22 bumblebee_carnival

bumblebee_carnival

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:03 AM

I've been experiencing chronic pain for almost 2 years. And in the beginning when my pain was still at a 5 on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst), I would ignore advice from my doctors. When the pain got to be at a 10 (or off the charts) I was willing to let go. It wasn't until I really had no choice that I saw what my doctors had been trying to tell me all along. Thankfully, you are not like me (you're smarter!). But maybe your husband is. The change I experienced in my body put me through a grieving process. Denial is the first stage of grief and in my opinion, the hardest to get through. I am so much more at peace now with my condition (ok some day still are bad) but I still think I could not have made the major life style changes had I not been forced to do so.

I had a similar experience. I've had GI pain off and on since I was about 7 (I'm 36). For whatever reason it would wax and wane. But last February I started having pain under the left side of my ribcage. I blamed EVERYTHING else for it except for my colon and diet (in retrospect the most hilarious was the underwire of my bra). But it was never severe enough for me to go to the doctor or be too concerned. Then at the middle to end of October, it jumped up to about a 9 1/2 on the pain scale. I couldn't sleep, I could hardly eat anything and when I did eat (of course, sandwiches LOL) it would just get worse. To top it off, I was laid off in April and my 6 months of paid insurance was just about up. So out of desperation I went gluten free. My pain went down by about 85% in the first 3 days and was 95% gone after 7 days. Had I not had that intense pain, there is no way I could have stayed gluten free. It's definitely a commitment.

In the early days, I had some gluten free bread substitutes, like Whole Foods awesome cherry streusel muffins and some Udi's bread and I think that helped so I didn't feel too deprived and didn't have withdrawal. But I found after a while I didn't even need them anymore. So I cut out most grains (I sometimes cannot resist the rice and corn chips at Chipotle), strictly limit starches (maybe once every week or two I will indulge in a baked potato or french fries), and eliminated or greatly reduced most dairy. I lost 17 pounds in 30 days without trying or watching calories. I started sleeping better, my lifelong anxiety and depression has lifted, I'm generally more motivated to get things done, and a whole host of other benefits that I didn't anticipate. But I know how I am and without that pain, there is no way I would have stuck with it for more then a few days.

#23 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:50 AM

I had a similar experience. I've had GI pain off and on since I was about 7 (I'm 36). For whatever reason it would wax and wane. But last February I started having pain under the left side of my ribcage. I blamed EVERYTHING else for it except for my colon and diet (in retrospect the most hilarious was the underwire of my bra). But it was never severe enough for me to go to the doctor or be too concerned. Then at the middle to end of October, it jumped up to about a 9 1/2 on the pain scale. I couldn't sleep, I could hardly eat anything and when I did eat (of course, sandwiches LOL) it would just get worse. To top it off, I was laid off in April and my 6 months of paid insurance was just about up. So out of desperation I went gluten free. My pain went down by about 85% in the first 3 days and was 95% gone after 7 days. Had I not had that intense pain, there is no way I could have stayed gluten free. It's definitely a commitment.

In the early days, I had some gluten free bread substitutes, like Whole Foods awesome cherry streusel muffins and some Udi's bread and I think that helped so I didn't feel too deprived and didn't have withdrawal. But I found after a while I didn't even need them anymore. So I cut out most grains (I sometimes cannot resist the rice and corn chips at Chipotle), strictly limit starches (maybe once every week or two I will indulge in a baked potato or french fries), and eliminated or greatly reduced most dairy. I lost 17 pounds in 30 days without trying or watching calories. I started sleeping better, my lifelong anxiety and depression has lifted, I'm generally more motivated to get things done, and a whole host of other benefits that I didn't anticipate. But I know how I am and without that pain, there is no way I would have stuck with it for more then a few days.

It's truely amazing how a gluten-free diet can improve your health.

#24 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:50 AM

Sure!

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

He's got a great post up today about the changes that wheat has gone through over the centuries.

Thanks, I will check that out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: