5 replies to this topic

#1 alicewa

alicewa

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

Does anyone here know the difference between TTG, EMA and DGP blood tests? I know they all assess the extent of tissue antibodies but don't assess the body's reaction to gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 deezer

deezer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

Does anyone here know the difference between TTG, EMA and DGP blood tests? I know they all assess the extent of tissue antibodies but don't assess the body's reaction to gluten.

I don't know off hand, but I would highly recommend getting a copy of Dr. Peter Green's book - Celiac Disease a Hidden Epedemic, he covers all of these tests in that book in a way that is easy for the reader to understand.
For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

I don't know off hand, but I would highly recommend getting a copy of Dr. Peter Green's book - Celiac Disease a Hidden Epedemic, he covers all of these tests in that book in a way that is easy for the reader to understand.

Some of us know just fine off hand. She doesn't need to go buy a book!

TTG is an antibody against tissue transglutaminase, an enzyme involved in tissue repair. It is autoimmune and while the most common cause of anti-TTG is celiac, it can appear in rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune liver disease, and inflammatory bowel disease as well. (There may be others; that list is off the top of my head.)

Anti-EMA is an autoantibody against endomysium, a type of connective tissue. Anti-EMA is HIGHLY specific for celiac disease.

DGP is an antibody against deamidated gliadin peptide (DGP), a fragment of gluten that has been processed in the intestine by TTG. It is not an autoantibody, but DGP is only produced in individuals with celiac so it's 100% specific for celiac disease.

#4 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

Some of us know just fine off hand. She doesn't need to go buy a book!

Actually, that book should be required reading by everyone with a gluten problem. It is full of excellent information that would benefit many.
Then we wouldn't have people being scared by those who think there is gluten in vegetables! Or that everything is contaminated with gluten! :blink:

#5 sue1234

sue1234

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

That's interesting that DGP is definitive for celiac. Can you reference that? The reason I ask is I had all the testing, and all the labs were normal except DGP, which was 4x the upper limit. I've had two separate biopsies and both were negative. I have mega-stomach issues with bloating and constipation. So, I've always wondered if I really am celiac due to that one test. Of course, the doctors tell me no because of the negative biopsies. I just began gluten-free yesterday.

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

I'm not feeling well today and to be honest digging up references is really hard when I'm brain-fogged. Try looking through these search results and skimming the abstracts.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....iadin diagnosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: