This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mainstream Food List

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Where can I find the best list for gluten-free mainstream food? I've been mainly eating the specialty gluten-free foods but I wanna know all the regular stuff I can buy at the grocery store. I don't wanna spend like 3 hours in the store...reading labels...getting confused and having all my perishables melt in the basket. I wanna be prepared next time I go..I always end up putting stuff back on the shelf cuz I'm just not sure unless it actually says GLUTEN FREE....and we all know that stuff is EXPENSIVE!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

The following are mainstream brands that will list wheat,rye,barley,oats on the label or will be safe. You don't need to read the label for any questionable ingredients because these brands will not hide anything under anything that is otherwise questionable. So just look for one of those four ingredients

Aunt Nelly’s

Balance

Baskin Robbins

Ben&Jerry

Betty Crocker

Blue Bunny

Breyers

Campbells

Cascadian Farms

Celestial Seasonings

Country Crock

Dove

Edy’s

General Mills

Good Humor

Green Giant

Haagen Daz

Hellman’s

Hershey

Hormel

Hungry Jack

Jiffy

Knorr

Klondike

Kozy Snack

Kraft

Libby’s

Lipton

Martha White

McCormick

Nabisco

Nestle

Old El Paso

Ortega

Pillsbury

Popsicle

Progresso

Russell Stover

Seneca Foods

Smucker

Stokely’s

Sunny Delight

T Marzetti

Tyson

Unilever

Wishbone

Yoplait

Zatarain’s

gf4life Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link

The link above is the best, but make sure you still read the labels. Ingredients change often and some of the list might not still be accurate. I use it more as a guide to point me in the right direction towards products that are most likely safe. Then I read the labels.

God bless,

Mariann

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thanks Kaiti and Mariann,

This helps ALOT!!!

celiac3270 Collaborator

In my opinion, the best list on the web for gluten-free foods is the Delphi Forums one, which can be downloaded by following these steps:

1) Go to the website, Open Original Shared Link

2) Click on "messages" or "start reading"

3) Select the folder "gluten-free Product List"

4) Click on the topic called "Downloadable files word"

5) Of the four options, choose the one in the upper right.

You may need to register (the basic version is free) in which case, just register first, then complete the steps above.

connole1056 Rookie

The most comprehensive list I have seen is from CSA. It costs about $25 and is worth every penny! call 1-877-csa-4-csa or e-mail celiacs@csaceliacs.org or www.csaceliacs.org

celiac3270 mentioned a good one too, but it is not as easy to use. The list from CSA is organized much better.

celiac3270 Collaborator

How is the CSA list organized? Just for reference of those who don't have the list, here's an example of the Delphi list. The vw in the first ones stands for verified on the website. They have: ve = verified by email, vs = verified by snail-mail, vp = verified by phone call, vw = website includes gluten-free list, vpkg = package states gluten free, vf = fax

Wilderness Pie Fillings (Birdseye) (Open Original Shared Link) (vw=04-01-2003)

All Wilderness and Comstock pie fillings are gluten-free. The modified food starch is cornstarch.

This one includes part of the company statement, as some do:

Farley & Sathers Candy Corn (800-533-0330, ext. 340) (Open Original Shared Link) (ve=10/2004)

Candy Corn is gluten free. However, Candy Corn may be packaged on lines with other products containing gluten. While we do wash lines between packaging runs, cross contamination is still possible. At this time, Farley's & Sathers Candy Company, Inc. does not offer a list of gluten free items. Production processes change too frequently to allow us to provide an accurate and updated list of gluten free items.

Package information is the most current information we can provide our consumers in regards to food allergies and intolerances. Any lists may or may not apply to an item purchased by the consumer, without the date of manufacture or the location of manufacture and packaging.

Many of our items are gluten free. Please check our package labels for wheat indications in the allergy statement. If you are concerned about a specific product, please email the name of the product, package code, and UPC. I am happy to research any item you might have a question on. Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your questions.

And here's another:

Life Savers (Nabisco--Kraft) (800-543-5335) (Open Original Shared Link) (vw=2004)

Read the label. Wheat, oats, rye and barley will be listed on the label of Kraft products that contain these ingredients. They will not be hidden under words such as “natural flavors”, etc. Kraft considers distilled vinegar, no matter the source, gluten-free.

The products are organized by category as follows:

Alcoholic Beverages 2

Baby Food and Products 4

Baked Goods 6

Baking Supplies 7

Beverages 10

Candy 16

Cereal, Breakfast 21

Condiments, Sauces, etc. 22

Convenience Meals 28

Dairy 29

Desserts 33