Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

The Hair Is Gone Now, But I Dont Have To Shave My Legs!

• Please log in to reply

16 replies to this topic

#1 bonnie blue

bonnie blue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:01 AM

Good morning my dear friends. It has been awhile since I updated but my first round of cocktails (chemo) was pretty rough. But I made it through, and getting ready for my 2nd round on the 7th. Just a couple of days ago I lost my hair, it was very strange just started coming out by the handfuls, I did cry a little but then I figured look you can get all depressed our look on the bright side, when I get up in the morning it only takes me 5 seconds to fix my "hair" I just put on a hat!!! And I also don't have to shave my legs anymore, Woo Hoo!!! So I am doing well I am meditating and doing Yoga everyday, and I am actually eating really well. I will continue the good fight and please know how much I appreciate all your support, sending out big hugs to all, have a wonderful weekend!! :D
Just takin it one day at a time :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Di2011

Di2011

Advanced Community Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:32 AM

Hi bonnie blue,
you make me feel like life is worth living. I kept checking your last post and hoped to hear. Just wish I could give you the biggest of big hug straight to you.

#3 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:36 AM

Hi Bonnie! :)

Ok, first round -- check
2nd round -- on it's way to being crossed off the to-do list
hair car -- well, I guess you're molting...
A person on the chicken forum said she loved it when her chickens molted 'cause it was like getting a whole new paint job for free. :)
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:51 AM

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))
Thanks for the update. I was wondering how you were doing. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:56 AM

Hi Bonnie!

You could get some really fun wigs or hats! What about hair like Beyonce? Or a shocking pink bob? Perhaps a purple cowboy hat you have added "Accessories" to? Maybe a florescent green beanie with antenna like an alien?

Please post pictures if you wear these! You might scare the cancer away! :lol:

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:05 AM

What a good job of looking on the bright side! I remember when my mother's hair fell out by the handful. She didn't mention the legs. She liked going around bald best. She didn't like the feel of hats. She didn't like the looks she got though. Scarves were a good compromise.

#7 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:06 AM

haha, i don't shave my legs anyway ... feminism ftw

but def look at the bright side! you go girl!

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#8 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:21 AM

Yes, that's a great "silver lining" to chemo. No shaving. :) Also, since you're having chemo in the winter you can wear hats. (I'm assuming you live in a cold climate since you mentioned a hat...) I had mine beginning in November (years ago) so I just wore hats all the time until my hair came back. But if it had been in the summer I would have had to think of something else, because it's hotter than you-know-where around here in the summer (Washington DC area).

Also, if your hair was pretty straight to begin with then you have curls to look forward to when it starts to grow back. Chemo Curls. I loved it! I have that stick-straight hair and always wanted curls. Too bad it doesn't stay that way. :P

How many rounds of chemo do you have to have? Hoping this one goes smoother than the first one.

#9 bonnie blue

bonnie blue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

I love the ideas about the hats!! My daughter actually got me a hat that looks like a cat, my grandson loves it, he really doesnt know what to do about bald gamma, he's not scared just the first time he saw me he said "Gamma where is your hair?" Too cute. I live in Nebraska so ya its pretty chilly, but I like just going bald around the house, it's more comfortable.
And about my treatment 2 more chemo treatments this month, surgery in late January or early February depending on how I do with the next two treatments, then after I am healed and eating good again, 3 more rounds of chemo, so I am in this for the long haul. It will be a long road, but in the end I will be healthy again and that is all I am concentrating on, my nephew is to be married in late April and I fully intend to dance at his wedding!!! Thanks again for the support. B)
Just takin it one day at a time :)

#10 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

I would go with the "sex kitten" wigs!
To go with the sexy legs, ya know.
does this mean you are cancelling your Brazilian wax appointment!!? :rolleyes:
Michigan

#11 Booghead

Booghead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

My best friend Gabe is going through Chemo. I'm in high school and so is he. I'm going to tell him about no shaving the legs! He wears hats every day, I want him to feel comfortable enough to not wear one but he seems very persistent. His hair wasn't even an inch long before he started Chemo so he didn't lose that much. He has lymphoma which they think they got out with surgery they are just doing chemo to be sure. He does it every pair of thursdays. So this week and next week then he has two weeks off. He has to go until Febuary I think. He does really well with the Chemo. Sorry to here your first time was rough. And I'm sure you have to do it more then he does. Honestly you and my friend really are making me contemplate cutting my hair off. My hair is past the middle of my back and I haven't cut it in a very long time, thinking about cutting more then a foot off to give to locks of love. In my support of my friend, I was wondering if it would make him feel more comfortable. Keep Fighting and being brave. Lots of popsicles helps with chemo i've heard (though it is winter). B)

#12 lucky28

lucky28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

So glad you are feeling well enough to post an update! Sorry it was a rough first round, It can take a bit to recover from "coctail hour" lol! Whatever you are doing is working so keep it up! Good luck in round 2 and keep us updated~ prayers are coming your way!
"They're my villi, and I need them NOW!"

Positive Biopsy- 08/11
Slightly positive tTG only- 06/11
Negative blood panel- 11/05
Diagnosed with IBS- 1981

#13 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

Glad to see you are back from round one Bonnie. :)

You can get straw hats with ventilation holes for the summer time. If they have a band around them you can stick flowers or feathers in it for added pizzaz. I am kind of thin on top myself so I wear hats a lot. It's not good to go around with the sun beating down on the top of your head all the time. Inside they can keep you warmer in the winter also. And those wide brims keep glare off your glasses. We should just be born with hats on our heads if you ask me. My dad was on the extremely thin hair on top side, so he told me to wear hats in the summer or outside. He was a smart cookie. Kind of a chrome dome too. His case was different though,. He used to save his wad of chewing gum and stick it on the bed post at night when he went to sleep. Then reuse it in the morning. One night he got it stuck in his hair somehow while sleeping. And in the morning they had to cut off all his hair to get rid of the gum. It just never grew back. A tale of warning for all you gum savers out there... :D
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#14 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:52 AM

Good to hear you are doing well and have a very positive outlook. Keep it up! Wishing you the best!!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#15 Ellie84

Ellie84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:10 AM

Best wishes! *Hugs* Keep on fighting!
27, F, from the beautiful area of Twente in the Netherlands. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any errors.

Symptoms started in 2007, but no link to celiac disease was found until 2009. I learned of celiac disease through the internet, my doctor never recognized it. She put me on a diet before tests were done, so the initial tests failed. My GI advised me to do a gluten provocation, which had to be stopped too soon to take a reliable biopsy. Based on symptoms such as vitamin deficiencies, GI problems and osteopenia my diagnosis now is: glutenintolerant, suspected celiac disease. This diagnosis was in march 2010, and I've been so much better ever since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: