This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh After Going Gluten Free? Dr. Says Not Possible

Jortyle

rosetapper23 Explorer

Pricklypear and Squirmingitch,

You're both so sweet! I hope that you're also both very aware that, once a woman who has celiac goes gluten free, you need to be extra cautious to check for breast lumps. I read an article in a Gluten Intolerance Group newsletter telling me that when we go on a gluten-free diet, we can finally absorb hormones like estrogen and progesterone....and if we have any small cancer clusters, those hormones will cause them to grow quickly. I believe that this is what happened in my case. Because I couldn't absorb hormones for many years, the cancer remained small, but once I went gluten free, it grew very quickly. Thankfully, that article (which made me extra-vigilant) and my pets helped me catch the cancer in time.

Regarding my thyroid meds, I take Armour Thyroid. However, Blue Shield has just informed me that I must now take a new generic version called (get this!) Pork Thyroid. :blink:

Thanks again for thinking of me....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You're both so sweet! I hope that you're also both very aware that, once a woman who has celiac goes gluten free, you need to be extra cautious to check for breast lumps. I read an article in a Gluten Intolerance Group newsletter telling me that when we go on a gluten-free diet, we can finally absorb hormones like estrogen and progesterone....and if we have any small cancer clusters, those hormones will cause them to grow quickly. I believe that this is what happened in my case. Because I couldn't absorb hormones for many years, the cancer remained small, but once I went gluten free, it grew very quickly. Thankfully, that article (which made me extra-vigilant) and my pets helped me catch the cancer in time.

Regarding my thyroid meds, I take Armour Thyroid. However, Blue Shield has just informed me that I must now take a new generic version called (get this!) Pork Thyroid. :blink:

Wow, that's an imaginative name. What idiot thought that one up? At least it's descriptive...

Do you happen to know if Armour has iodine because it's animal organ? I used to take it, but after the reformulation it just didn't work as well for me.

I've purposely gone away from animal (fish and organ) supplaments because I wanted to control my iodine and have it "food only". My D3 and iron are veg based.... It's not philisophical for me, just trying to plan ahead. Right now I'm in compounded t3/t4 synthetic.

rosetapper23 Explorer

When I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's, I was terrified to learn that I'd have to take meds with iodine. I called literally every drug company that manufactures thyroid medications in the U.S. I was informed that EVERY thyroid medication contains iodine. :( The first medication I was prescribed was Synthroid....and the rash developed immediately. Unfortunately, my Hashimoto's worsened while taking it, so then my doctor switched me to Armour Thyroid, which controlled it after many dose changes over a two-year period. I'm really not looking forward to changing over to this so-called Pork Thyroid, since it took so long to balance my thyroid on Armour.

When I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's, I was terrified to learn that I'd have to take meds with iodine. I called literally every drug company that manufactures thyroid medications in the U.S. I was informed that EVERY thyroid medication contains iodine. :( The first medication I was prescribed was Synthroid....and the rash developed immediately. Unfortunately, my Hashimoto's worsened while taking it, so then my doctor switched me to Armour Thyroid, which controlled it after many dose changes over a two-year period. I'm really not looking forward to changing over to this so-called Pork Thyroid, since it took so long to balance my thyroid on Armour.

Armour wasn't covered under my prescription plan but it was still less than paying for the synthetic - I think it was around $6 a month??? I remember it was laughable, how inexpensive it was when the pharmacists gave me the speech about how it wasn't covered....

rosetapper23 Explorer

Actually, under Blue Shield, I would normally pay $15 for a prescription, but I have to pay $22 for Armour Thyroid because it's considered non-formulative.

So confusing....

squirmingitch Veteran

Thanks so much for the info. about the hormones rosetapper! Good heavens! who woulda' thunk it? So is that why I'm such a "B" the past 5 years???!!!!!???? :blink::)

Well, if the diseases don't kill us then the insurance companies will.

Actually, under Blue Shield, I would normally pay $15 for a prescription, but I have to pay $22 for Armour Thyroid because it's considered non-formulative.

So confusing....

Really? We have BC BS Mass (but we aren't in Mass) and ours was much lower. Then again, that was 3 or so years ago.

Hmmm...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

hey- i took a generic Armour for 1 month but dont remember it being called "Pork Thyroid"... anyways, in my personal experience- i did not notice a difference between generic & brand. i DID notice that difference on generic cytomel.

hope your switch works for you.... crazy insurance companies

Newsy Rookie

I just wanted to chime in here. Sorry gone 4 so long...my elderly dad moved in with me in August, he was very, very ill with cardiac problems. He is now in a senior living apt.

rosetapper23 Explorer

NewsyNanette,

Welcome back to the Forum! It sure sounds as though you've been through wringer during the past year....and I'm especially sorry to hear about your mother. You are correct about anemia playing a part in cancer development. In Brian Peskin's book, "The Hidden Story of Cancer," he explains why people with anemia tend to develop cancer--it's because the body "turns on" the mechanism to create cancerous tumors when the body's cellular oxygenation is reduced to 70% or lower. Anemia causes our oxygenation to be reduced because fewer red blood cells are created. As a result, we are at risk of having cancerous tumors develop after having anemia for a prolonged period of time. Even though your mom followed a strict, gluten-free diet, she still may have had some residual anemia due to permanent damage to the lining of her small intestine.

Like you, I have DH and also react to touching gluten. When I accidentally do touch some crumbs, my hands and forearms break out in an eczema-like rash that lasts for about a week--very itchy!

Di2011 Enthusiast

Hi NewsyNanette,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. Doesn't ever matter how they go - just hard when they are gone :(

It is so interesting to hear your story. I too believe that topical and ingestion are a problem for my skin. I go through so many disposible gloves I think I keep the company in business! Bicarb has been my saviour for cleaning/bathing.

My son is showing more regular signs ("mosquito bites" and general itchiness, the kind you just have to scratch, also asthmatic and other allergy type reactions, some GI occasionally). I'm glad I can now recognise the signs so he doesn't have to live like I and others have. His doc today was silently dismissive that his horrible throat infections and asthma are related to wheat/gluten despite also knowing my history - but thankfully Liam has joined the dots and is now willing to take out the offender.

I am tending to consider that even if it isn't technically or diagnosed as DH, then there is a MASSIVE amount of research required better understand skin reactions to gluten and alergy in general. I don't feel terribly confident though.

mushroom Proficient

NN and rosetapper, so sorry for what you have both been through recently. I, too, send you both positive energy.

I am fortunate to be able to handle generic levothyroxine - Synthroid here (from UK) has gluten in it at 25mcg (yes, that's all I need but what a difference) so I take the levo at 50 mcg every other day and I don't shiver any more on a summer's day. What a difference a very little can make, eh?? I hope the "pork" thyroid works for you, rosetapper. I think there are other thyroid meds with a porcine heredity :P

Archived