43 replies to this topic

#16 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

does buckwheat count as a grain? Because I make a buckwheat flatbread from scratch with buckwheat, water, and salt, sometimes an egg, and that also travels really well in a pinch and I can put nut or seed butters on it. It's also pretty cheap because one kilo bag of flour is about five euro and makes TONNES of flatbread whereas buckwheat or chestnut crackers are 3-4 euro for a small box

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

You need to read the book. Buckwheat is not allowed, and you kind of have to abandon the whole idea of bread and crackers at first. (Points to p. 164 of the book. :P)

#18 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:55 PM

I know that *at first* in the introduction diet you're eating very little as far as variety goes.

I meant once you get to the full diet. Since buckwheat isn't actually a grain but a pseudocereal I was hoping it would be allowed.

like, soup does not travel well, aside from thermoses and even then you can't carry too much at once due to weight. There will be times in the near future where I will need something that packs small, light, and filling. ergo, I will have to either cheat on the diet or go hungry. :unsure:

BUT I will do my best, once I do start, to stick very carefully to the introduction diet and avoid cheats as much as possible...

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

25 yrs old

#19 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

I know that *at first* in the introduction diet you're eating very little as far as variety goes.

I meant once you get to the full diet. Since buckwheat isn't actually a grain but a pseudocereal I was hoping it would be allowed.

like, soup does not travel well, aside from thermoses and even then you can't carry too much at once due to weight. There will be times in the near future where I will need something that packs small, light, and filling. ergo, I will have to either cheat on the diet or go hungry. :unsure:

BUT I will do my best, once I do start, to stick very carefully to the introduction diet and avoid cheats as much as possible...

Packing for what? Depending on your needs and supplies, you can dehydrate a lot of soups and rehydrate them with hot water and a little bit of time (10-20 minutes). If it's just for a day drip, I've done that often - carry 2-4 cups of soup, an apple, some nuts. I'm I'm home for dinner, it works out fine. (I'm not on the GAPS diet, myself.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#20 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

day or weekend trips on a bicycle. A week-long trip to northern ireland and the holy sites in may or so. also I want to do a trip around the perimeter of ireland by bike, two or three weeks in august.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

25 yrs old

#21 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

Like Skylark says, read the book, or the links that she posted. (My blog is one of them ;) ) GAPS is doable, but it takes really wrapping your mind around a new way of approaching food. Even on the intro there is some variety, and on the full GAPS you don't eat grains or anything similar. In the GAPS book, quinoa and buckwheat are the first pseudo grains she recommends trying... but only after about 2 years on the full diet, and specially prepared.

If you want to incorporate some of the GAPS foods that's something else entirely, and I could see that being beneficial.

If you are set on eating grains, may want to look at the Weston A Price and Nourishing Traditions take on grains and similar foods. Like nuts, they have you sprouting them to make them more digestible.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#22 Nadia2009

Nadia2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

If gaps is a sort of paleo diet with probiotics, can I just add probiotics to my paleo diet with the same benefits? I am not able to do all the work of making my own nut better dry seeds and ferment food right now. On the paleo diet, beans are not allowed and I am a bit sorry for myself, I like to incorporate some beans and wondering if it would help to ferment my beans or sprout them?
Anyway, I just started reading on the gap diet and still learning. Some of the foods in the first gaps diet are no no for me... Broccoli cabage saurkraut.
May 2009: IgG abnormal (not tested for full panel)
Sept 2009: Negative blood tests (I was on and off gluten)
Sept 21 2009: gluten free
Sept 21 2011: gluten free for 2 full years
Dec 2012: chronic fatigue and leaky gut.
Feb 2012: IgG reactions to almond, amaranth, sesame, sunflower, dairy, eggs, beans and of course gluten.
March 2012: modified GAPS diet.

#23 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

It depends on what you're trying to do. GAPS is a gut-healing diet. Paleo is for general health in people who have a GI system in decent shape. If you are still suffering from IBS you would want to do the GAPS introduction with the bone broth and fermented foods. You should read the GAPS book. It will help you understand how GAPS heals.

As far as ferments, you can ferment beets and carrots or make lacto-fermented pickles.

If you are still having GI issues I would stay away from the beans. GAPS only allows lentils, split peas, and one other bean, only overnight soaked, and only when your gut is feeling much better. Beans are hard to digest and the lectins are really problematic for some people.

#24 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

Skylark beat me to it, and is right on. We introduced navy beans and lima beans (allowed on GAPS full diet - AFTER intro) first. The rest of the family was fine... I had trouble. You can ferment beans. Here is how from the http://gaps.me/preview/?page_id=30 site:

Please, do not rush with introducing beans and pulses, as they are generally hard to digest.
Soak 500g of white navy beans (haricot beans) in water for 12-24 hours, drain. Rinse well in cold water, drain. Soaking and rinsing removes some harmful substances from the beans (lectins and some starches). Cover the beans with water again and add 4-5 tablespoons of your homemade kefir, yoghurt or whey. Leave to ferment for a week at a room temperature. After rinsing your beans are ready to be cooked.
In a large pan put 1,5 litres of water, 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon of sea salt, 4 tablespoons of tomato puree, a pinch of cayenne pepper, a pinch of black pepper, 5-6 bay leaves, a sprig of rosemary, a bit of thyme, couple of cloves and 100g of butter. Cover the pan with a lid and put it into an oven. Cook at 120 0 C for 4-5 hours. Stir occasionally. If the water evaporates before the beans are ready, add some more. If at the end of cooking there is too much water left, just take the lid off and leave the pan in the oven for 15-20 minutes at a higher temperature (150-180 0 C).
Serve hot or cold. These baked beans will keep in the fridge for a long time.

You can make a variation of this dish by adding a whole chicken or duck, cut into pieces, sausages, pieces of lamb, beef or pork, chopped onion, carrot and garlic before putting the pan into the oven. This variation makes an excellent meal.

On the blog linked from my profile I have a breakdown of how to do each GAPS stage that you might find interesting.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#25 Nadia2009

Nadia2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

It depends on what you're trying to do. GAPS is a gut-healing diet. Paleo is for general health in people who have a GI system in decent shape. If you are still suffering from IBS you would want to do the GAPS introduction with the bone broth and fermented foods. You should read the GAPS book. It will help you understand how GAPS heals.

As far as ferments, you can ferment beets and carrots or make lacto-fermented pickles.

If you are still having GI issues I would stay away from the beans. GAPS only allows lentils, split peas, and one other bean, only overnight soaked, and only when your gut is feeling much better. Beans are hard to digest and the lectins are really problematic for some people.

Thanks for your reply. I am notorious for forgetting posts if I don't reply the next few days. But I am glad I am reading now actually. Because now I can not only read but understand what healing the gut means. My gut needs healing big time :( my IgG showed many things and today after checking the grocery store, I had one thing in mind where are the healing foods. I remember from Eat 4 your type Dr D'Adamo talks about healing food and others.
Lentils are the only legumes I can have for now and beans are harsh for my gut (I didn't any test for that).
I have to read this book now. Two days ago, I was saying the Gaps diet must be so boring with bones and meat...but I guess I have no choice. Anyway, when I see all the removed foods I can only eat a poor poor GAPS in a wheel chair until my system gets better.
Feb 2012: IgG reactions to almond, amaranth, sesame, sunflower, dairy, eggs, beans and of course gluten.

#26 Nadia2009

Nadia2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

Skylark beat me to it, and is right on. We introduced navy beans and lima beans (allowed on GAPS full diet - AFTER intro) first. The rest of the family was fine... I had trouble. You can ferment beans. Here is how from the http://gaps.me/preview/?page_id=30 site:

On the blog linked from my profile I have a breakdown of how to do each GAPS stage that you might find interesting.

Domesticactivist,

I am starting to think GAPS...it is a start.

#27 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Be aware that GAPS is a very high amine and salicylate diet. I'm having a lot of migraines now and I suddenly realized they got considerably worse on GAPS. If you're sure natural food chemicals are not an issue for you it may be worth giving GAPS a try. GAPS did sort my recurring yeast, but not much else.

This website is worth browsing. http://fedup.com.au/ :)

#28 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

I fell off the GAPS bandwagon due to lack of willpower about a month ago.

HOWEVER, reflux, fatigue, and headaches are back, so I'm gonna go back to GAPS next week. At least somewhat. I figure that if I can't manage NO sugars and starches, a reduction is better than no change, and adding GAPS foods like meat stock, eggs, avocados, and non-starchy veg can't hurt, can it?

plus cod liver oil and probiotics.

I HOPE that a half-assed GAPS is still better than nothing, unlike how a half-assed gluten-free actually can make your reactions more severe...

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

25 yrs old

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:06 AM

I fell off the GAPS bandwagon due to lack of willpower about a month ago.

HOWEVER, reflux, fatigue, and headaches are back, so I'm gonna go back to GAPS next week. At least somewhat. I figure that if I can't manage NO sugars and starches, a reduction is better than no change, and adding GAPS foods like meat stock, eggs, avocados, and non-starchy veg can't hurt, can it?

plus cod liver oil and probiotics.

I HOPE that a half-assed GAPS is still better than nothing, unlike how a half-assed gluten-free actually can make your reactions more severe...

"GAPS foods like meat stock, eggs, avocados, and non-starchy veg can't hurt, can it?"--Maybe they are included on a GAPS diet, but these sound like "regular foods" to me. :lol:

I think the people who are Gaps advocates do not think Half-assed works. I think they say "all or nuthin'". Not sure; maybe someone will chime in here with tips for you.

but back to your situation now...

Uh-oh! :unsure:

I thought those symptoms returned last month because you were glutened and sick with fever?

I recall you telling us there was nothing good and gluten-free to eat in Ireland.

http://www.celiac.co...ate-everything/

How does this GAPS diet fit in with the wonderful goodies box Gemini sent to you? :( We all made suggestions for her and she very kindly purchased all those gluten-free, SF, DF goodies and shipped them to you in Ireland. She was so excited to do that!!

I am thinking..... you must have received it by now?

so...tell us--what did ya get!!?? :) It must have been a bit like Christmas :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#30 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

actually, it's due next week, if I recall correctly. Haven't gotten it yet. I will totally post about it when I do!!

I think it was the antibiotics that I had to take for the sickness that hurt my gut flora and started my problems back up again. not sure. I am taking high-strength probiotics now, and like I said incorporating more GAPS foods but keeping rice and stuff. idk.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

25 yrs old

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: