20 replies to this topic

#16 Rfin

Rfin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:38 AM

The Clif Website indicates that Shot Blocks are not gluten free. I was so disappointed to read this because this is what I used pre-diagnosis. Have you not had trouble with them making you sick?

I looked on their website and it's kind of confusing. The allergen table does not list even trace amounts of gluten as a concern, but when they answered the Gluten-free question they said they may contain gluten. I wonder if it's cause it is not a dedicated facility? I have not had any problems and I have a reaction from even small amounts.

OP--I missed the no dairy. So the frostee is out. Can you eat peanut butter? I eat peanut butter and Gluten-free pretzels after long runs.

And I saw someone mentioned Higdon. Galloway is another one you can look at. I was not a big fan of the run/walk stuff in the past, but have found it is easier on my body and helps to not feel so beat up. For my last 1/2 I did a ratio of run 5 minutes walk 1 minute. Currently since the foot is still not happy I am running 3 walking 1.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Dr. Jill

Dr. Jill

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Zach,

I'm newly diagnosed and an avid marathon runner. Haven't raced since my diagnosis though. It's very important to take in protein within 30 minutes after a workout. Whatever you decide to eat, try having a good amount of protein. And within an hour after that have a well balanced meal. If we don't eat enough after a hard workout, it can wear us out. Also, feeling wiped out a bit is normal post-workout. Consider other things in your life as well, not just food, that may be contributing to your tiredness.
Psychologist with Celiac Disease. Diagnosed Fall 2011.

#18 Dr. Jill

Dr. Jill

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

Rfin,

I hope your healing time isn't related to being gluten-free. I recently started a gluten-free diet and have had IT band problems for years. Crossing my fingers the gluten-free diet is the miracle cure!
Psychologist with Celiac Disease. Diagnosed Fall 2011.

#19 BrittLoves2Run

BrittLoves2Run

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

I am also training for a marathon.. i'd love to hear your feedback on things that work for you.
--Brittany
Dxed with IBS in 2010

Celiac Panel/Thyroid blood test done on 1/19/2012
1/23- Positive Celiac blood tests/ TSH Levels 4.5 (range 0.4-5.5)
1/24- Gluten free
3/14--Since being gluten free i've had NO nausea, joint pain, and finally I am not tired all the time!! I am starting to feel like a normal person again!!!
5/30- Just a little over 4 months of being gluten free. While the joint pain and nausea are gone, I'm very sluggish and tired again. I also for the first time in my life have to get up to pee in the middle of the night. Quite annoying. But I'm still very grateful most of my issues are gone!

6th half marathon completed on 5/6/2012

#20 Rfin

Rfin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

Rfin,

I hope your healing time isn't related to being gluten-free. I recently started a gluten-free diet and have had IT band problems for years. Crossing my fingers the gluten-free diet is the miracle cure!

Sorry to post earlier and disappear. Life kind of got a little busy!

I really do think the healing time was related to being sick. Minor injuries just drug on forever. I am finally (after a year of injuries) running without pain--knock on wood. I am hoping that my body is finally healed enough that aches and pains aren't going to turn into injuries that put me on the sidelines. So it wasn't the gluten free diet that was making me take so long to heal, but rather that I was pretty run down and ill by the time I stopped eating gluten last year. My body just couldn't fix itself for a while.

I had itbs last year too--do you foam roller regularly? It stinks! So painful. I have new inserts for my shoes, and so far no new itbs problems.

Having said all that, I am running a half marathon at WDW at the end of the month. I don't think I will be as fast as I was in the past, but I am hoping for a pain free run, and looking forward to lots of yummy gluten free food at WDW!

#21 jackisue

jackisue

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

Loved this post... I'm currently training for my first half marathon (May 6th, OMG, it's practically here.)

I was diagnosed just this month, and I've only been gluten free for a few weeks. I haven't noticed any difference in how I feel while training, but it's good to have some recs on protein bars if I start to feel a lag.

Rfin, I second the poster who suggested foam rolling. It does WONDERS for my ITB.

Happy Running!
J
Jacki
Gluten Free since March 2012

Mom: "When you do this, you have to go whole hog... ...and you can HAVE the whole hog, just not the gravy."
Thanks, Mom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: