25 replies to this topic

#16 moose07

moose07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

I had a waitress at a Mexican restaurant that is was fine for me to eat the corn tortillas even though they are cooked in the same oil as the flour ones, because "the oil will kill off the gluten" I just looked at her and shook my head.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

Julie & Moose, funny replies......it is amazing what we end up dealing with!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#18 lcarter

lcarter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

I have found that we really can’t trust wait-folks, or even a chef, to know what is in the food when eating away from home. If you are really sensitive, added seasonings or pre-prepared mixes used to shortcut a recipe, can easily contain gluten in words on the label unrecognizable to someone not in-the-know. Have you seen the long “no-no” list on Celiac.com? It is hard to expect that others are truly aware of all the factions of gluten on that list that we must avoid. So, trusting them to recognize what’s safe is not really a good idea, unless they drag out all the packages and let you read them yourself. In reality, only YOU are the expert in these situations….and it is up to you to protect yourself. My rule is, WHENEVER IN DOUBT, DON’T EAT IT!
Since I must avoid gluten, all dairy, and foods high in sugars, I have found some sure, safe bets. Hope these hints are helpful to others: (1) Rather than getting hurt feelings, I try to remember that being there to socialize is more important than the food. (2) I always take along some safe treats… just in case there’s not much offered that I dare eat.(3) I almost always eat a little something beforehand, so as not to be tempted to eat something that’s questionable because I’m sooooo hungry. (4) I might bring a gluten-free-DF casserole to share. (5) In restaurants - salad with oil + vinegar or squeezed sliced lemon for dressing; plain steamed veggies; oil-grilled meats/fish without sauces; a plain baked potato or plain white rice, are always safe. (5) In emergencies - Wendy’s chili is safe + Fritos [just corn, oil + salt] with a plain side salad; order a hamburger without the bun [but, be real careful because some fast food places have additives in their meat]; Subway/Quiznos veggie salad + a small tin of tuna brought from home; Chipotle/other similar place will serve a burrito-in- a-bowl, without the tortilla – you get to choose the ingredients.
Gluten + Dairy + Fructose Intolerant, Osteoporosis, Hasi's/ Hypothyroid, Sjogren's, Migraine Deviate with Visual Aura, Peripheral Neuropathy, DQ2 and DQ8 negative [Prometheus Labs]

#19 gfpirate

gfpirate

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

I was once at a restaurant and asked for a gluten-free menu, which was a normal menu, with safe items marked with a *. I noticed that there were chicken nuggets marked as safe, so, just to be on the safe side, I asked the waitress what was in them. She said "Oh, they're gluten free! We use a beer batter!" *facepalm* Needless to say, I ordered something else!
Every mistake I've made leaves a scar that burns every day
Yet still I carry on.
-Asking Alexandria

#20 Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:03 AM

I think sometimes there is a lack of communication between the kitchen staff and wait staff that contributes to the problem too. And even between management and the staff. We went to one of my favorite local chains for a hamburger a couple of weeks ago because a friend of mine saw on Facebook that they were doing gluten free burgers now. When we got to the restaurant and I talked to the waiter about it, he had no clue what I was talking about. My friend pulled the facebook page up on his phone and showed the waiter. The waiter asked the chef and the chef knew exactly what he was talking about. The chef cooked my burger separately from the others and put it on a lettuce "bun." He was very serious about cross contamination. The waiter apologized for not knowing about it. But I couldn't blame him. It was obvious that management hadn't communicated to all the staff. It ended up being fine because I got a very delicious burger without getting cross contaminated and the waiter now knows what to do the next time someone orders the gluten free burger. But it easily could have gone a bad way if I had gotten a waiter that didn't care. Or a chef that didn't have a clue.

Blood tested 8-11 positive, Biopsy 9-11 negative (long story, most gastro drs. are morons)

gluten-free 7-11, Dairy Free (mostly) 8-13 - Everything but butter.  Can't live life without butter....

DS - negative blood test, just diagnosed with ADD and other learning disorders, DNA test positive - high risk

Issues related to gluten: depression, low iron, hair loss, positive ana test for lupus, low vitamin D, headache, sinusitis, environmental allergies, brain fog, GI problems, weight gain....the list goes on....

#21 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

I was once at a restaurant and asked for a gluten-free menu, which was a normal menu, with safe items marked with a *. I noticed that there were chicken nuggets marked as safe, so, just to be on the safe side, I asked the waitress what was in them. She said "Oh, they're gluten free! We use a beer batter!" *facepalm* Needless to say, I ordered something else!

And before I knew about gluten intolerence I may have been that waitress but I find it sad and unfortunate, yet funny at the same time now.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#22 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

That's ok, where I work has a gluten free menu. Last night one of the servers asked if the bread was gluten free. I told him no, and brought him the label on the box. The first to ingredients were wheat and barley. The training we recieved on the gluten free menu was that we have one. It's posted in the kitchen. And if someone orders something gluten free to check the poster.

#23 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

I ate at Gourmet Burger Kitchen in the UK a bunch of times, they'd do a burgerless bun. The waitress asked me if I wanted fries and I asked about the fryer because there were breaded items on the menu. Yep, shared fryer makes those innocent potatos non-gluten free. But no one had educated her about that risk. So I gave her a little lesson :-). She was really appreciative, and I hope she can help out future patrons as a result. She meant well, she just had no idea, and fair enough , I didn't either before and even after reading here, I chanced a shared fryer early on in my gluten-free experience (Worst.Decision.Ever!)

#24 dandt

dandt

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

I hate when people are clueless too. One of my 'close friends' just told me to stop exaggerating and 'suck it up' one day when I said I couldn't have donuts!

#25 MenHen

MenHen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:49 AM

I have waited tables for several years. That waitress sounds rude and lazy! Even though I kind of knew what Celiac was, I really didn't have a clue. However, if anyone ever talked about allergies then I took it serious and got the manager and cooks involved.

Please, please, please no one eat at Applebee's. I worked there for 2 years and my step-sister is an area director of Applebee's. There is absolutely no way to get safe food from there. It's not any fault of server or cooks, it is just not set up to be free from cc. I was up there last night visiting friends and got hungry, so I left. If it was an emergency, I would find someone I knew and trusted to get me some fresh celery washed off well or something like that. Now, there may be some states or places that have more advanced Applebee's. I just know about ones AR and OK.

I personally won't try Chili's at this point either. Worked there, also. They would definitely be better than Applebee's, but I would have to do a lot of communicating with managers. I'd rather just go somewhere safer.

I hate when people are clueless too. One of my 'close friends' just told me to stop exaggerating and 'suck it up' one day when I said I couldn't have donuts!

I try to always remember how clueless I was once. I don't think I have ever been so insensitive to say 'suck it up', but I wouldn't be suprised if I would've been the one that asked if they could just take that part off if roles were reversed. Even people who are aware of what Celiac and gluten issues are don't generally understand the ends and outs.

#26 Celiac Maniac

Celiac Maniac

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

Ew. Clueless and lazy.

And nasty. I've had several bad experiences.

I'm sorry. Hope things get better.

TK Kenyon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: