Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Did Your Partner Support You ..........

27 posts in this topic

Personally, for me, it was easy.

I do most of the cooking and, since my DH is from Southern India, I just told him that we'd need to eat a lot more South Indian (rice-based) food, like pilafs, and dosas, and uttappam. He thought it was a great idea.

Yes, the commercial gluten-free foods are darned expensive. We eat a lot of rice, potatoes, corn tortillas, and cornbread for carbs. Proteins and fruit and veg are the same as they ever were.

As a matter of course, we avoid the commercial gluten-free foods. A lot of them are based either on white rice flour or one of the starches (tapioca, potato, etc.) That's just like spooning white sugar into your body.

A rice cooker is an excellent investment. Cooks brown rice beautifully.

TK Kenyon

Ads by Google:

I was lucky that my husband is really supportive. I think he saw how sick I was and it scared him a little. He's seen such a huge change in me for the better that he is quite a cheerleader for me. He's willing to go out of his way to help me find things I can eat.

The only thing is he's said a couple of times, "Well, when you are all healed up, we can have pizza/cake/etc. again." At first I thought he was joking and then he said it a few more times and I realized he was serious. I had to tell him that it doesn't really work that way and I am off gluten for life. I'm not sure if he believes me or not, but he did stop saying that.