13 replies to this topic

#1 joemoe003

joemoe003

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:16 AM

A really close friend of mine is so worryed about me. He wants to blame him self bout me having celiac disease. I just dont know what to do. I keep telling him to stop worrying bout me cuz i will be fine but he still worrys. I was thinking of tellin him to, if it makes him feel better, to go gluten free with me but he has told me before when we first found out that he would die if he couldnt have bread. Plus i know how hard it is to be gluten free i just dont want him to go through it and i dont think he could do it. I think he is willing to try. What do you think i should do?

Joe Moe

Gluten-free since February 23, 2004
Julianne

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 09:02 PM

Celiacs is a genetic disease so there is no way he is to blame for you having it. If he is feeling this bad maybe going gluten-free would ease his feelings. I have friends who want to try my food but I wouldn never want them to go gluten-free if they don't have to. Talk to him and let him know to lighten up and that this is your new way of life. It is a new diet and you will be fine. It is better to know and be healthy that to not know and be sick. At least he cares a lot about you.

Kristina

#3 joemoe003

joemoe003

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 09:39 AM

i keep tellin him that i will be fine. he just wont listen he will worry bout me no matter what so maybe i can tell him to go gluten-free that might help but i wont know till he trys. so thanks for the help. i will post later what he thinks bout goin gluten-free.

Joe Moe

ps i even talked to his sister and she said that he wont stop worryin bout me.
Julianne

#4 nickra

nickra

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:20 PM

Hya
Its good to hear ytou have someone close to you who cares.
but i was wondering why he wants to blame himself for your illness?
Does he think something he has done made it happen?

Maybe try surfing the website with him so he can see where celiac disease comes from and how many people have it for years before being diagnosed.

it might be that ytou had it before you knew him - you never know.

I hope you get sorted anyway - good luck!

nickra

#5 joemoe003

joemoe003

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 04:24 PM

yeah he really does care bout me but i dont know why he blames him self he said it is just something that he does. i told him to go on line and try to talk to people that have friends that have celiac disease i dont know if he did or not i hope he did. well i got to go talk to him so i will post later

joe
Julianne

#6 joemoe003

joemoe003

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:17 PM

so this is what he said
me: i was askin round to peeps to see how i could help you to stop worrin bout me so much and they said that maybe that it would make you feel better if you went on the gluten free diet with me
him: whats got glutens in it?
me: bread
him: it'll be tough but i can try
him: im not sayin that you sould do it but if you think it will make you feel better then go for it
him: well it might make me feel a bit better, so i'll try it
me: ok
him: i'll still worry about you, but it might reduce the fears a bit
me: i will warn you it is hard you wont beacble to eat school if you are really gonna do it
him: like what?
me: burgers spagetti umm you name it it has glutens in it
him: wow...well, i will see what i can do for the most part, ok?
me: ok
him: i can't make guarentees
me: ok thats fine your doin this for you not me
him: ok, i will

Joe
Julianne

#7 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 06:36 PM

That is really weird. Hoepfully he will calm down some by going gluten-free, too.

Kristina

#8 Guest_Stepha_*

Guest_Stepha_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:18 PM

It sounds like you have a tough situation but one where someone cares. Ultimately it is up to him to make the decision. I would suggest telling him how you feel once in a while, I mean if you feel sick or frustrated with the disease or if you feel great. It can be annoying but it may just help him settle down. I would also suggest going on the internet and finding information with him help him learn about the disease.

If it comes down to it and he is really dedicated to the diet, I wouldn't suggest it, but if he is let him do it and help you with your own after a while it gets easier to not eat gluten and enjoy life. Your friend will realize that after a few months.

Stepha

#9 joemoe003

joemoe003

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for all your guys help. I do tell him when i do and dont feel good but when i do tell him that i dont feel good he really doesnt like it. I did suggest the gluten-free diet but he isnt doin good with that one. I think he want to do it but he just doesnt want to bring a lunch to school. So i dont know what he is gonna do. Thanks for the help i really appreciate it!

Joe Moe
Julianne

#10 Guest_Stepha_*

Guest_Stepha_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2004 - 08:21 AM

I have just one more suggestion:
Send him to this site and have him sign up. There is a message board for family members and friends that know someone with celiac, it might be a big help for him to find a support group.

Stepha

#11 joemoe003

joemoe003

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 11:26 AM

I have told him about this site and he told me that he looked at it but i dont know if it helped any. I will ask him later if he has checked things out on the message boards.

Thanks,
Joe Moe
Julianne

#12 joemoe003

joemoe003

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 11:55 AM

Well i talked to him and i dont think he is goin to go the goluten free diet. i have decided to just not bring it up. So if i just dont talk bout it everything will be just fine.

Joe Moe
Julianne

#13 ruddabega

ruddabega

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:44 PM

I'm newish to gluten-free and my friends and family still worry about eating in front of me. I smell everyone's food (weird, but at least I get to semi-taste it) and I just tell them that I live vicariously through them... I think it helps them to know that I'm glad THEY enjoy gluten.

Camila
Camila

Dixon, California (near Sacramento)
18 years old
Diagnosed by blood and biopsy Nov. 2004
gluten-free since Nov. 2004
continual digestive problems
Crohn's disease diagnosed 1/8/06

#14 PrincessLEah

PrincessLEah

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:33 PM

I don't have someone who worries about me like that but what the other said is true why would he blame himself? it's genetic and he can't possibly be responsable. My friends were just glad to see me gain weight as I was 60 lbs weighing less than my 6 year old friend. My very best friend (a guy aswell) doesn't blame himself because he knows it's genetic and stuff but he worries that I don't eat enough and that I'm going to die and stuff but I tell him that I ain't going to die by missing a meal now and then. I don't think he believes me that much
Diagnosed in 2002 and now i'm 14 almost 15.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: