Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Which Is Best For Baking Bread?

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I made some banana bread today and I started thinking about my friend and how her bird died from her non-stick cookware. She had her bird autopsied and the vet said it died from the gas produced by cooking with teflon. I already use cuisinart's green gourmet frying pans and stainless steel cookware, but all my bakeware is non-stick. I don't have a bird, but I find it hard to believe that the gas isn't harmful to us, too.

So, what would you recommend? I saw a Lodge cast iron loaf pan that looked good, but would ceramic be better for baking? Or, should I just go with stainless steel?

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

For baking breads (in loaf pans), my preference has always been glass or ceramic. I think using metal for breads makes them brown too fast on the outside while the inner part might not be quite finished yet, IMHO.

Shiny metal is what I always saw recommended for best browning. Now I see Wilton nonstick stuff... but I don't buy nonstick stuff for the reason the OP stated.

I think gluten-free breads brown/burn faster than gluten breads, so that is an interesting experiment to try with glass or ceramic.

That said, I made bread in an Airbake shiny aluminum pan and it came out very well. But I like crust :).