This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No Symptoms Suddenly?

tehjrow

tehjrow Rookie

A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with Celiac disease. You can read my story/symptoms here:

I have remained religiously gluten free since then, just wanting to feel good, and I have felt AMAZING.

About a month ago I went to a friends house and ate some chili, assuming it was made from chili powder and not a mix. After eating it, I was talking to him and he said it was made from a mix. After closer inspection of the wrapper, it contained wheat flour. I raced home, knowing it was coming.... but it never did. So I wrote that off as lucky and moved on.

A few weeks ago I went to a sushi place I hadn't been to. I ordered some rolls that contained no soy sauce/fried things/imitation crab. Halfway through eating them I looked and saw that they did, indeed, have imitation crab in them. I forgot that some restaurants refer to crab as kanikama. I only had a few rolls left so I figured, I'm gonna be sick either way, so I finished them. I got home and waited..... nothing.

Last night I became curious and wanted to test my gluten tolerance (if there is such a thing ) and ate one of these:

Ferrero Rocher Hazelnut Chocolates

Wheat flour is clearly in the ingredient list. It's been about 12 hours.... nothing.

How can my symptoms go from completely immobilizing me to nothing? Does anyone here have a small amount they can eat with no symptoms? Should I continue to experiment?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lynnelise Apprentice

In short no I would not keep experimenting with eating gluten. You are diagnosed celiac so you know it's harming you in some way whether you feel it or not. I would say that after being strict for a year and half you've had a lot of healing so your symptoms are naturally not as bad. However damage is being done and could be substantial by the time you exhibit symptoms! Don't play with fire! ;)

CR5442 Contributor

It is possible that your villi are sufficiently recovered to not have the symptoms you previously had during your diagnosis... however that does not mean, as the above poster says, that it isn't doing your gut some harm! I would steer as clear as you can but perhaps heave a sigh of relief that if you do get accidentally glutened you won't exhibit horrid glutening symptoms! keep looking after your gut, it's the only one you've got!

domesticactivist Collaborator

Anecdotally, I am doing a gluten challenge after a year gluten free and then on GAPS and am having 20 g of gluten a day... My son is has severe gluten problems soI went gluten-free in solidarity but now want to get tested. At first I had no symptoms but a bit over a week in and they are starting to pile up. It could be that it hasn't hit yet or added up to enough damage that you feel it. If you ever had positive blood work or biopsy I'd not mess around with that.

Archived