Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Tingling/hurting Feet And Legs

5 posts in this topic

My 5-year old son has celiac disease and DH. He complains fairly often that his feet or leg and sometimes his hands tingle to the point of discomfort. I first thought that his feet or leg at the time and just fallen asleep by the way he described the feeling. His senses seems to be more acute the most people. He needs to wear earmuffs when we go to the movies. My sister and I both have a very strong sense of smell (not always a good thing) so I think it just runs in the family. I started keeping track of when he complained about the tingling feeling and noticed that his body was not in an awkward position that might cause them to loose circulation. Someone said vitamin B deficient but the Doctor said he would have to be in pretty bad shape for that and she said it was just growing pains. Since my faith in western doctors in limited, I thought I would check here.

Does anyone know if this could be connected to celiac disease or DH?

Tas

Ads by Google:

to answer your question, yes it can be related... look into Peripheral Neuropathy related to Celiac... I'm actually experiencing something very much like this at the moment. Numbness and tingling in both arms and legs and feet and hands... it's very disconcerting to say the least!

I get tingling/numbness in my face, hands, arms and feet.

My 5-year old son has celiac disease and DH. He complains fairly often that his feet or leg and sometimes his hands tingle to the point of discomfort. I first thought that his feet or leg at the time and just fallen asleep by the way he described the feeling. His senses seems to be more acute the most people. He needs to wear earmuffs when we go to the movies. My sister and I both have a very strong sense of smell (not always a good thing) so I think it just runs in the family. I started keeping track of when he complained about the tingling feeling and noticed that his body was not in an awkward position that might cause them to loose circulation. Someone said vitamin B deficient but the Doctor said he would have to be in pretty bad shape for that and she said it was just growing pains. Since my faith in western doctors in limited, I thought I would check here. 

Does anyone know if this could be connected to celiac disease or DH?

Tas

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This can definately be connected. Before diagnosis this was a great problem for me. One thing that helped was sublingual B12. You should be able to stop the B12 after he has been gluten-free for awhile and his gut has had a chance to heal. Of course ask the doctor first but there shouldn't be any contraindications for this. Make sure the b12 is sublingual that way you know it is getting into his system. Of course make sure it is gluten-free. Also about the senses this is not your imagination, my son was so skin and noise sensitive that he would only wear sweats for over 5 years and music at any level physically hurt him. My daughter and I have the same thing but not as severe. Maybe it is something that is related to our genetic difference. Good luck and thank goodness this was recognized early our families delayed diagnoses resulted in unresolvable problems.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Raynaud's yet. I was recently diagnosed. It is also autoimmune and is tied to the same gene as Celiac. It is also related to lupus and other rheumatic diseases. Basically, the immune system overreacts to changes in temperature or emotional upset and sends all the blood away from the extremeties and towards the internal organs as a survival reflux.

My doctor simply put me on calcium channel blockers to relax my blood vessels and tame the reaction. It doesn't completely resolve symptoms, but it helps. I am also being tested for lupus because of the strong connection.