29 replies to this topic

#1 Ellie84

Ellie84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

We're looking for another house to rent, and this morning confirmed why we should move quickly :( I woke up to the sound of someone shouting and crying kids... again... for the 3rd time since the start of the month. We've lived here for nearly 4 years and never really had problems with the neighbours, but the last year they've been getting very noisy. Shouting to someone else on the other side of the house, shrieking kids, bickering parents when dad's at home. We live in a very old flat building with noise insulation that's infamous in our town. Normally you'd try to talk to the neighbours and your landlord. We tried to invite them for coffee 3 times, but they never showed up so it appears they don't want to talk about it. Next stop should be landlord, but they have bought their apartment and we rent it. The police also has enough on their hands, they don't think it's worth the effort. (As a renter you have fewer rights than a home-owner, so it's easier to just move than to take it to court.)

Because of our low incomes we need to find a house with a social rent corporation, they have cheap houses. One problem is that 400 families in our city have the same plans, so it's basically playing the lottery. There are houses on their website and you can subscribe to one. At the end of the week they draw lots to decide who has the first right to the house. With the way this is going, it could take months... I don't want to spend Christmas in someone else's fights... :(
27, F, from the beautiful area of Twente in the Netherlands. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any errors.

Symptoms started in 2007, but no link to celiac disease was found until 2009. I learned of celiac disease through the internet, my doctor never recognized it. She put me on a diet before tests were done, so the initial tests failed. My GI advised me to do a gluten provocation, which had to be stopped too soon to take a reliable biopsy. Based on symptoms such as vitamin deficiencies, GI problems and osteopenia my diagnosis now is: glutenintolerant, suspected celiac disease. This diagnosis was in march 2010, and I've been so much better ever since.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:10 AM

They say that good fences make good neighbours. So does good insulation ;) So sorry you are having to go through this. We have lived underneath some of the heaviest-footed people on this planet, people you wouold swear weight 500 lbs, and you see them and they are wee tiny things. How can they make so much noise????:blink:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:02 AM

I am low income but fortunately I live in a rural area so don't have "neighbours" nearby.
For a long time my internet connection was only connected when it was a "bonus" for me and my 9y/o son.
For the past 6 months it has been my sanity. If it wasn't for this forum and being able to read/research my conditions I believe my mental state/sanity would have been more serious than any physical condition. Internet connection is no longer a bonus but an important part of keeping my sanity and improving my health.
Thankfully here in Australia internet price etc is falling and coverage spreading. I hope there are more Australian out there that can get some answers, sanity or something just like I've been able.

#4 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

Be glad you are renting! If you owned the place, you would be stuck there until you sold it.

Happy apartment hunting! I hope you find a great place to call your own soon.
Michigan

#5 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,643 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:16 AM

We lived in an apartment with a single guy above us. He was very quiet except for Wed nights and every other weekend when his son came to visit. We had wooden floors and the kid would use a real bowling ball and roll it around!

I don't know if this is possible but you could put something on the wall between you and the Screamer Family. Make a pattern with small pieces of carpet tacked to the wall. Ceiling tiles you spray paint & put on the wall.

If the windows are open....you're out of luck. Noise deafening earphones?

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#6 bigbird16

bigbird16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:42 AM

Yes, be glad that at least you have a way out with renting. This time last year I was in a similar situation, and my luck changed very quickly when I was able to find a condo in foreclosure that suited my needs (i.e., QUIET and well-mannered). It can be really stressful to have others' arguements impose on your peace. Do you have anything that makes white noise that might mask some of the screaming? I wish you all the best in hunting for a new home!!
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

#7 Ellie84

Ellie84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:22 AM

I don't know if this is possible but you could put something on the wall between you and the Screamer Family. Make a pattern with small pieces of carpet tacked to the wall. Ceiling tiles you spray paint & put on the wall.

If the windows are open....you're out of luck. Noise deafening earphones?

They live beneath us, so no luck there :( I think their house is extra noisy because they hardly have a thing in it. The room is very open without curtains, no high furniture and they have a wood floor.
27, F, from the beautiful area of Twente in the Netherlands. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any errors.

Symptoms started in 2007, but no link to celiac disease was found until 2009. I learned of celiac disease through the internet, my doctor never recognized it. She put me on a diet before tests were done, so the initial tests failed. My GI advised me to do a gluten provocation, which had to be stopped too soon to take a reliable biopsy. Based on symptoms such as vitamin deficiencies, GI problems and osteopenia my diagnosis now is: glutenintolerant, suspected celiac disease. This diagnosis was in march 2010, and I've been so much better ever since.

#8 Ellie84

Ellie84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:34 AM

I'm not happy today because the shin splint I had in both legs is back and I have to get treatment for it. I have to take medication and it's making me very sleepy and dizzy. Couldn't go to work yesterday because of it, and that really stinks :(

#9 Booghead

Booghead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

Thats a bummer, but it sounds like its probably worse for the crying kids that live in the noisy apartment, with their parents fighting all the time.

As for your side of this, it is a buyer's market right now. Maybe you could find a really nice place to live :lol:

We had neighbors at my old house that partied all the time. A guy with his 2 sisters lived there, one sister had a boyfriend that lived there, and the "guy" had a girlfriend with 2 kids. A total of 5-6 adults who were drunk partiers and a total of 6 or so kids depending on who had custody that week. 3 kids under the age of 2.

I was 12 or so at the time so I often went over to play with the littles, change their diapers and give them bottles while their mother was sleeping off a hangover or working a part time job at taco time.

We've all had our fair share of noisy neighbors. B)

#10 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

Want to hear nightmarish neighbour stories? Our neighbour is UNREAL. It is a household of four; the husband and wife are about 45 and the kids 18 and 19. Guess where they hold their frequent parties? In their GARAGE which is literally 10 feet from our house. But it is not an ordinary garage. It has a stage, strobe lights and HUGE speakers all over. And get this - when they play the garage door is left open. Sometimes the music is so loud our house vibrates. When we put our hands on the walls we feel them shake.

We've called the police about 40 times and there have been lots of fines but to no avail. Many times after we call the police (our other neighbours are too scared because of the neighbour's reaction) something happens to our house or a vehicle. For example, once we called the police a few minutes later our doorbell rang (at 4:00 AM) and of course we did not answer it. However, a few minutes later we went to the door and found a nasty note from neighbour in our mailbox. We also found our vehicle that had been sitting in the driveway damaged - mirrors smashed, taillights smashed, keyed all over. Yet he got away with it because we didn't actually see him do it. It was so obvious, though, as he had done other horrible things like throw heavy objects into my prized raised beds, beer cans all over our yard and so on. And we live in a new area with nice homes! But the houses are pretty close together (i.e. their house is about 10 feet from ours and all our bedrooms are on the side that faces their dumb garage). We have considered moving but decided not to as he will have won. Not only that but we are not up for another move yet.

The so-called music can last up to eight hours and happens any night of the week, any time of the night. The wife and kids are no better, unfortunately. Once they came over to tell us they were having a major grad party and that it could get loud. It is not possible for you to imagine what that was like. They had vehicles parked all over their front lawn and toilets and tents set up in the back yard. The party was outside all night long (until we called the police). However, sometimes they re-start the music for a few minutes then stop. Then start again. Then stop. It is unreal. It is so bad that when we see each other one crosses to the other side of the street. Once the wife actually put her shoulder into me when she passed me on the sidewalk. The man has threatened to injure my husband if we call the police again yet the police do nothing about it! :angry:

Another thing the family does is hit golf balls against their/our fence. VERY loudly. At all times of the night (they have lights in their back yard).

So, although we get pretty bad winters (except for this year so far) I look forward to it as they cannot party in the back yard. We are hoping that they move or something. SOON.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,684 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:57 AM

Want to hear nightmarish neighbour stories? Our neighbour is UNREAL. It is a household of four; the husband and wife are about 45 and the kids 18 and 19. Guess where they hold their frequent parties? In their GARAGE which is literally 10 feet from our house. But it is not an ordinary garage. It has a stage, strobe lights and HUGE speakers all over. And get this - when they play the garage door is left open. Sometimes the music is so loud our house vibrates. When we put our hands on the walls we feel them shake.

We've called the police about 40 times and there have been lots of fines but to no avail. Many times after we call the police (our other neighbours are too scared because of the neighbour's reaction) something happens to our house or a vehicle. For example, once we called the police a few minutes later our doorbell rang (at 4:00 AM) and of course we did not answer it. However, a few minutes later we went to the door and found a nasty note from neighbour in our mailbox. We also found our vehicle that had been sitting in the driveway damaged - mirrors smashed, taillights smashed, keyed all over. Yet he got away with it because we didn't actually see him do it. It was so obvious, though, as he had done other horrible things like throw heavy objects into my prized raised beds, beer cans all over our yard and so on. And we live in a new area with nice homes! But the houses are pretty close together (i.e. their house is about 10 feet from ours and all our bedrooms are on the side that faces their dumb garage). We have considered moving but decided not to as he will have won. Not only that but we are not up for another move yet.

The so-called music can last up to eight hours and happens any night of the week, any time of the night. The wife and kids are no better, unfortunately. Once they came over to tell us they were having a major grad party and that it could get loud. It is not possible for you to imagine what that was like. They had vehicles parked all over their front lawn and toilets and tents set up in the back yard. The party was outside all night long (until we called the police). However, sometimes they re-start the music for a few minutes then stop. Then start again. Then stop. It is unreal. It is so bad that when we see each other one crosses to the other side of the street. Once the wife actually put her shoulder into me when she passed me on the sidewalk. The man has threatened to injure my husband if we call the police again yet the police do nothing about it! :angry:

Another thing the family does is hit golf balls against their/our fence. VERY loudly. At all times of the night (they have lights in their back yard).

So, although we get pretty bad winters (except for this year so far) I look forward to it as they cannot party in the back yard. We are hoping that they move or something. SOON.

Time to buy or rent some cameras set up aimed at your driveway and yard and set to record.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#12 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:00 AM

Sounds like neighbors from H***! As I was reading I thought having surveilance cameras/voice recorder might be a good thing? I have no idea what that would cost though? :o

#13 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:32 AM

I can't imagine having to live with neighbors like that...makes me thankful that I live in a development with good and caring neighbors.

While I have no idea how expensive it would be in Canada, I think I might look into having a security system installed for the house and alarm systems for your vehicles. The security system for the house can probably be as simple or as elaborate as you choose.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#14 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

Sheesh, love2travel, now I understand your name!! :lol: I woujld want to get away from that too. How horrible. And hub and I were just complainin' to each other about a neighbour who slams the door at 4:00 a.m. Well, shut my mouth :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#15 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

Time to buy or rent some cameras set up aimed at your driveway and yard and set to record.

Yes - we are looking into various security options.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: